1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Threats: what should I do?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gina B, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

My neighbor received a very threatening letter in the mail, which included the same threat for me when he was done with her. It was the first, but a lot of stuff is going on so I don't expect it to be the last.
    I made a police report. He took the information and said "so since you don't know who it's from and it has no return address you just want to have it on file, right?"
    I said no, I want a little more than that! He asked what I expected him to do and I said figure out who wrote it and patrol this area more often.
    That isn't going to happen, and I was basically told I watch too many movies if I expect them to figure it out.
    So the next time there's really no point in calling these people again. Is there anything I can do that could have a better outcome? It was in handwriting, I figured they'd at least fingerprint it or something!
    Gina

2. g_1933

g_1933 New Member

Maybe you could try a private investigator or something, they may be able to help but of course it won't be cheap. Other than that just pray and trust the Lord.

G

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I would call everytime there is something to report to the police, even if they think there is nothing they can do. At least then you have a record of it if anything ever comes of it.

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I agree with Katie. Put everything you can get your hands on in a police file. That way, if they ever find out who is doing it, they will have all of the things he has threatened on record.

I was told I was watching too much TV when I ask them if they could dust for fingerprints too. I kept calling them everytime something happened though.

This person eventually was dumb enough to leave a message on my answering machine (stating his name) and I was able to get a restraining order because the police had a file on him that I had created.

He even dripped blood on my steps at one point and I asked the cops to do a DNA. They just laughed, they said, "No one has been killed yet".

I told them I sure hoped the next blood on the steps wasn't mine!!!

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm looking for something more immediate. Maybe there just isn't anything...but the letter was a very detailed description of a rape and stuff, and sitting here alone with 3 girls and the police not doing a thing doesn't seem quite right.
    I can't afford a private investigator.
    Gina

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

It's not right Gina, but they can't or won't do anything until a 'real' crime has been committed or until they have a name to go with the threats. Buy a gun...

7. Dan Stiles

Dan Stiles New Member

First, alert all your church family, neighbors, and your mail carrier.

Then contact the Ohio State Attourney General (see this site: http://www.ag.state.oh.us/contact/contact.htm )
    Make sure you send a copy of this and subsequent correspondence with the AG's folks to the Governor's office (see: http://www.state.oh.us/gov/section7-0.htm )
    NOTE: Registered mail is the most effective, but start with e-mail and/or telephone.

Make sure you file a report/complaint with the Postmaster. If possible, call the local FBI office and ask them if this is a "Federal Case." It is a federal case because the US Postal Service was involved. Let them know you are concerned and would like to speak with an agent. I have no idea what their reaction will be, different agents and offices will react differently.

If you or a friend have any pull with any local politician, this is the time to call in cards. Police chiefs respond to political pressure. Police officers respond to police chiefs. There are things they can do, and laws have already been broken - Federal and State.

Why notify all these agencies? They are all very territorial; they don't like the idea of someone else solving a problem in what they percieve as their yard.

Almost finally, consider installing a couple of small inexpensive video cameras to record folks coming and going at all entrances to your place.

And finally, record everything and get witnesses (plural) to everything.

What does all this cost? Your time and patience, maybe as much a couple of Franklins for the video cameras (but you can get them for much less).

8. Gib

Gib Active Member

Let everyone one you know about it. Tell your neighbors. Don't do anything illegal, but, protect yourself.

A friend moved into a neighborhood. She was there 8-9 days and was harassed to the point she decided to move. She was verbly assaulted every time she got home or left the house. Her kids could not go out and play. People dumped trash in her yard daily. The police said they really could'nt do anything unless there was physical contact. Even though they knew the neighbors as being rough around the edges and had made several stops there for late night parties & domestic distrubances.

She moved defeated and now lives in a hotel. The realtor said it was a charming neighborhood. I'm not suggesting you move. But, I know, through my friend what living in fear can be about. Protect yourself and all you got.

If you need some help, I know some "people" :eek: from Brooklyn, that have a way of convincing persons to mind their own business. :rolleyes:

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Thank you. I'll use a number of those suggestions! It can be turned into a federal case now anyhow I think because there's 3 of us involved, a couple and myself, and a different threat came in from Georgia for the other person's fiancee. The second one at least had the brains to type it though. LOL
    I didn't think of it yesterday, but I could call the media too since it's probably related to the news from out of here lately. (they gave our full names and showed our places)
    Gib, I was just in Brooklyn a couple weeks ago, ya shoulda introduced me to them then! ;)
    I'm not as worried about all of it today as I was yesterday. It just took me by suprise, and it shouldn't have.
    One of our city police officers goes to my church, I'll talk to him Sunday.
    Gina

10. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

If it was an anonymous letter, there's not a lot the police can do but you did the right thing in calling them.

Because this was something that occured through the mail, you need to call the postal inspectors, as well.

You might have a little more luck with them.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

For about $20. you can get an alarm to go on each door and oyu set it at night, and if the door m oves it goes off, real loud noise, eveyone will hear it. Just make sure you turn it off in the mornings. You could tell neighbors if it goes off in the middle of the night to call the police.

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Where do you get them from Katie? Sounds like a good idea..I could use them for the windows too!
    Gina

13. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Gina, I was going to say if it were me, I would make sure all entry points in the house were well protected with good locks.

You can get a motion detector from just about anyplace. Flood lights have motion detectors. There are sound activated detectors you can install yourself. Wal Mart, and the hardware store have these. There are even toys that are motion sensitive that make noise if anyone crosses their beam...my daughters have one. My mother used to hang a cord of bells on the inside doorknob of her doors. Hey, my step-dad died when my 24 year old sister was 7. Mom's been a woman alone with children at home for a long time. The bells work...you can't even tap a door with bells hanging on it that you can't hear from another room in enough time to call the police.

Also, do you have a dog? Sometimes just haveing a good guard dog will deter anyone from trying to get into your home. You can get a dog for practically nothing from the pound with all their shots etc. And two are even more of a deterant.

I'll add this to my prayers for you. ;)

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

Gina, they have the at Radio Shack. They'll talk you through just what your needs are and help you choose the right ones.