1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thru the Bible

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jordan Kurecki, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've recently started listening to J Vernon McGees through the Bible radio broadcast. It's a 5 year program where he teaches through the entire Bible. So far it's been very challenging and exciting. though he's not perfect (He teaches the Gap theory)..he is sounds for the most part.

I want to encourage you to join me on the Bible bus. If you have a smart phone you can download the Thru the Bible app and listen freely, you can also purchase the series in a variety of formats from their website.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing.

I also would like to recommend Ligonier ministries on www.bottradionetwork.com. This comes on at 11:00 a.m. CST. Excellent broadcast.

There are several more broadcast lineups worthy of a listen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems as if no one has a perfect understanding of scripture yet there are those who have a better understanding than most. I believe it to be wise to have a Berian attitude towards the teaching of scripture.
    MB

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yohanon

Yohanon New Member

As the esteemed Dr. Chuck Missler says, " if you automatically believe Chuck Missler, you fail the course. Be like the Bereans. (acts 17:11)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. I find myself disagreeing with Dr McGee on certain things. But I also find myself learning good things as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's important to have that attitude. No one will you agree with 100%. Yes even John MacArthur do I not agree with 100%.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I first listened to him I had the impression that he was a farmer.

His English colloquial accent struck me as not being a learned man.

It wasn't long before I felt differently. Don't let his gruff voice fool you.

HankD

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was no dummy. But his corn pone accent make him sound like one.

B.D. from Columbia Theological Seminary and a Th.M. and Th.D. from Dallas Theological Seminary. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would encourage everyone to hold a devotional time in SS where you read through the books of the Bible. In worship, i would encourage reading through 2 ie an OT and NT passage each Lords Day.

I would encourage make 2-4 comments on passage about to be read and then read 10-12 verses aloud. It will totally change everything

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed, he was gifted as a man for all men. His education was veiled and he simplified the word of God so that all could understand. A subtle sense of humor as well but mostly serious about our status as sinners.

HankD

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was one of the best radio preachers/teachers to listen to, much better than the current prosperity/faith bad teaching going around now!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He has cross-cultural appeal. He grew up at the turn of the 20th century. Very primitive early childhood....horses, farm work, etc. What I'm saying is that some of his examples he uses from childhood relate directly to folks who live today in developing countries because they get water from wells, may or may not have TV, or cars, or have to rely on horses or mules for agriculture. So when native speaker translates TTB into their own language, he doesn't have to change much.

Definitely dispensational, Calvinistic to a degree. Remember, he always said that his commentary was not a technical commentary....he was leaving the cookies on the bottom shelf for he kiddies.

I think his Q&A program was equally good.

I like listening to old guys. Both my grandfathers were like him. My stepdad, who was 10 years older than my grandfathers was the same kind of man as McGee in that he grew up on a farm out in the country.

I also was guilt of listening to McGee's accent and immediately thinking he was some ingnernt hill jack.
    But I found out how prejudiced I was against Southerners. And prejudice is wrong.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk