1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tied Electoral College

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by saturneptune, Sep 2, 2012.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Look at the different combinations of states possible for a tie this year. If this happens, it could be President Romney and Vice President Biden, if the Senate stays Democrat

http://www.270towin.com/presidentia...main=FL,PA,OH,MI,NC,VA,WI,CO,IA,NV,NH&me=&ne=

It is obvious the House will remain Republican which elects the President in case of a tie. Each state gets one vote. That means the one represenative from Wyoming has as much vote as the 55 together from California. In the Senate, I believe it is one Senator, one vote. It is possible to have two different parties for President and VP in this case.

#1 saturneptune, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
  2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

In the event of such a scenario, it's a good thing Romney's in seemingly good health.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

It would probably create a whole new environment for the Secret Service with heightened concerns of assassination attempts. Seriously, think about it.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

Time to elect the president by popular vote. Half the states would never be bothered by presidential election commercials or have their traffic blocked by a presidential visit. Let him reign from afar.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If an electoral college tie was declared before the Congress went back into session January 3, no doubt there would be numerous court challanges in any states that were anywhere near close on both sides. Between that and the way Congree operates, it would be a Constitutional nightmare.

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Talk about a mess, think of the impact even 1-2 'faithless electors' could have if the electoral count turns out to be that close.

And yes, I am a firm supporter of state election of the president as opposed to popular election. He is the President of the United States. Those states should choose him, not the overall populace.

#6 NaasPreacher (C4K), Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
  7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Very good point. If the electoral college does tie, a faithless elector could take the decision out of the hands of Congress. On the other hand, a faithless elector could cause the tie.

I am amazed at the election in the House. The Congressman from Wyoming has the same vote as 55 Congressmen from California. In the present situation, the Republicans would control the Presidency and the Democrats the VP.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

That is because the states elect the chief executive, not the general populace. I love the system. I am a big state's rightest. The founding fathers, from all appearances were very opposed to the idea of political parties.

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Maybe go back to the original method. First place vote getter is President, second place is VP. Could be interesting. :=)