1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tim Hardaway

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did everyone hear about Tim Hardaway's interview? Due to his comments, he was asked by the NBA not to participate in the All Star game activities.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder if the NBA would have done the same thing if he talked about Christians that way. This world caters to homosexuals. We are getting closer to Sodom and Gamorrah by the day.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I think Hardaway's comments were wrong, esp. where he said, "I hate gay people." But I agree there probably would not be near the outrage if that comment was made towards other groups. Think about what these statements would provoke in the media:

"I hate white people." - Probably some outrage but not as much as this has.

"I hate Christians." - Probably a little more reaction than hating white people, but not as much as what Hardaway is facing.

"I hate right-wing fundamentalist Christians." - Probably very little reaction overall and even applause from certain corners. The guy probably would have a pretty successful speaking circuit on college campuses.

#3 Andy T., Feb 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2007
  4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Friend of Spurgeon! And thanks, too, Webdog and Andy T.! I thought all three of you posted very well!

They tell me that Hardaway played for the Pacers but I guess I don't remember it but he was a great player.

I think that people should accept his apology and the NBA should forget it. He was talking about what was acceptable in the locker room. I myself thought that Hardaway was medically correct. Gays have so much money that they have a lot of political power. I sincerely hope that my comments have not lowered the high tone set by the others before me. I talk politely to a lot of gays and lesbians because my job deals with the public but I do not knowingly spend money in their businesses.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I used to like his shoe commercials...

"I got skeews"

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE Tim Hardaway

I didn't hear Tim's comments, but hatred, regardless of who it is directed at is wrong. The real winner in this is the Amaechi guy...first name John or Don...can't remember which!!:BangHead: He not only comes out of the closet, but he wrote a book and will make millions!! Where's the justice in that??? But he will stand before the Judgement seat of Christ for all of his sins....not just being gay. If he doesn't get salvation before then, what good would those million have done for him??:tonofbricks:

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

There are some who think that Amaechi came out of the closet for the purpose of selling books. Hmmm.. money as a motivator. I wonder if that will ever catch on? :smilewinkgrin:

8. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Hardaway played primarily for two teams Golden State under Don Nelsons as a part of the famous run TMC (Tim, Mitch and Chris) then for Riley at Miami he had less than a year total with Dal, Den and Ind.

While I agree that the comment should be forgotten and move on it will not and now Hardaway, his wife and his 14 yr old son are in emminent danger. Like it or not the homosexual community is vile, and they are violent and it is they who hate anyone who stands against them.. They are not a minority as in a racial sense they are a wicked and ungodly element of society. We forget that the overriding cause of homosexuality is the worship of self (creature) for this cause God gave them up to vile affections (passions).

Hardaway should not have used the word "hate" but I fear for his family, but when others have said they don't like white people (Charles Barkley) I hate the media (unknown numbers), I hate Bush or I hate Christians etc they did not have to fear for their lives and the lives of those they love. So who actually hates here, Tim Hardaway or homosexuals?

thjplgvp

9. Rew_10

Rew_10 New Member

I'm sorry, but that is the BIGGEST load of nonsense I've ever heard. I have good friends who are gay and every gay person that I know well are at LEAST as moral as any of my heterosexual friends. Where do you get off saying that the homosexual community is violent and hate people!? I promise you if someone said, "I hate Christians" they should be much more fearful for their lives. And the "overriding cause of homosexuality is the worshop of self"? What are you talking about!? {Personal attack deleted}

#9 Rew_10, Feb 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2007
  10. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Well I am not surprised you think it is nonsense based on who you know. But you probably believe the the Muslims are just a peaceful folk who do not practice violence. Step into the real world of debauchery where the homosexual community lives in. And you will find rape and physical vilence are the norm and not the other way around. How may homosexuals do you know?

1 ,2 maybe 3? That is common for most people to know a limited number within their friendship ranks and among their friends it is also quite normal for them to be friendly.

But I believe you should take a good look at how the bible portraits the homosexual community and tell God that it is the biggest bunch of nonsense you have ever heard I am sure God will agree with you. :cool:

thjplgvp

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

#11 rbell, Feb 23, 2007
  12. Rew_10

Rew_10 New Member

First, I'm not a moron and I do understand that fundamentalist Islam is a very violent religion.

Secondly, homosexuality is a very different scene today than it was 1000 years ago. And I thought that would be fairly obvious.

{SNIP}

#12 Rew_10, Feb 23, 2007
  13. Rew_10

Rew_10 New Member

I'm sorry what is thought about me, but I'm not going to let someone sit here and spout off hatred just because they believe themselves to be backed by the Bible. Disagreeing with homosexuality is one thing, but claiming that they are a "violent" people I find extremely offensive.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

As I said in another thread:

• Was Hardaway right to say I hate (insert ANY group of people here)? Nope.
    • Should Hardaway have the RIGHT to say such statements in this country? Yep.
    • Should the NBA and other business entities have a RIGHT to fire/sanction/censure Hardaway? Yep. (Insofar as Hardaway should not have his personal rights violated by anyone in any way for this).
    • Should they? IMO they went way overboard...but in this day and age, "hate speech" toward certain targets is career suicide.
    • Should Hardaway pay any legal costs or penalties for it, or suffer ANY form of governmental retribution? No way.
    • Does this mean that homosexuality is an acceptable behavior? Nope.
    • If Hardaway, or anyone, were to say that homosexual behavior is sinful...would THAT have been wrong to say? Nope.

15. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

{Personal attack deleted}

#15 hillclimber1, Feb 23, 2007
  16. Rew_10

Rew_10 New Member

Should I apologize for accepting people for who they are and loving them for who they are?

#16 Rew_10, Feb 23, 2007
  17. rbell

rbell Active Member

We should love homosexuals as Christ does.

However, if we love someone, we will tell them the truth...in love.

The truth is that homosexual behavior is wrong. We should love them enough to tell them that...and to also share with them the news that God offers a way out.

That's the most loving thing one could do for someone ensnared in any sexual sin.

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Sorry folks....too many personal attacks are being hurled, and we've veered too much from the OP and posting rules. Thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.