1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Time to die

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Roguelet, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Roguelet

Roguelet Guest

Discussion I was having with someone. They said when it is our time to die we will die. Even if that person doesn't take care of their body they will die at the same time, if they do take care of their body they will just die of something else like a car reck.

I find that hard to believe, I think if a person is told by their doctor that if they do not change thier life style and eat right and get exercise they will die soon. and if they do make cahnges they will live longer. Does this make since ?

what do you all think are we appointed to die at a certain time regardless ?

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Yes, but no.

Your friend is taking scripture out of context.

In God's context, you CANNOT die without his knowledge &/or permission (this term depends upon how you describe His sovereignty).

Yes, we are appointed to die once (Ecc 3: 1 & ff if I remember correctly). Then comes the judgement ... But, how we live will affect when and how we die.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I believe God is in complete control, and we die when He says. Anything else means He is not in complete control (sovereign).

4. Roguelet

Roguelet Guest

I thought Satan was the author of death not God.

isn't there bible verses that talk about if we obey and live rightous lives we will live longer?

God will take a christian who lives in sin out.

it makes sense that a person who abuses his body will not live as long as one who takes care of his. I don't know I'm confused ?

5. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello fellow Zonie, I imagine you’re going to get Calvinistic responses about predestination with this question. That aside I believe we’re instructed to take good care of the temple and if we do we are liable to live a longer and better quality life while here in the flesh. I do not think it is being a good steward of what God has given us as a vessel for Him to just let it all go thinking that trying to maintain health is futile. I think we should take care of the body and do it for God in the spirit and be not weary in well doing.

The main think we need to profit in is godliness, and that godliness is seen in part, even if for a short time while here, when we take care of the body.

(1Ti 4:8) For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Sounds to me like that person is making excuses for not taking care of his/her self.

I agree with you. I don't belive God "takes" us from the earth, I believe God takes our spiritual selves when our physical selves die. Our physical selves are a slave to sin, and part of the consequences of that sin is premature death (such as in an accident) or death due to our physical selves breaking down.
    Yes, but I think we too often hasten that by being careless and reckless.

I eat right and excercise regularly. Why? Because I am married to a person 10 years my jonior, and I don't want her to be a widow at 50.

7. Brice

Brice New Member

God knows when we are going to die because he knew how we would take care of ourselves. He knows all, but that is no excuse for sinning by not taking care of this vessel.

8. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Rogue,

I wouldn't say Satan is in control of death.......not sure if thats what you mean. But God is in control of both life and death.

However, I don't agree with your friend either when taken to its logical end. Otherwise we'd be able to just try to commit suicide all the time until one time it worked then we'd know that it was our time and God wanted us to die then.

While God is sovereign and knows everything that will happen, that does not mean that we have no responsibility to take care of ourselves and others.

9. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

I look it this subject kind of like I look at; all I have to do is believe to be saved. That doesn't mean I should go back out into the world and live like the wicked witch of the west.In fact the bible says in 1st John that God may take that person home early. That doesn't fit now does it?
    I do believe God knows when were coming home and is in control of it.

;)

10. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Roguelet - This is my thinking.

Hebrews 9:27 says, "It is appointed for man once to die, and then the judgement."

This is not a passage talking about man's death and when and where and why it will take place.

This passage in Hebrews is comparing our deaths to Jesus' death and talking about Jesus' substitution for us.

His death is different from our death.

We die...and we are STILL judged. Those who die as sinners will be judged for their sins and sent to hell and those who die in Christ will have their "works" judged and receive rewards accordingly. I can look those scripture up if you want me to.

Our deaths mean nothing as far as saving us. We are STILL judged according to the writer of Hebrews.

But Jesus' death is different. That's what this passage is talking about to me. His is the only death that brings salvation and atonement and reconcilliation.

By-the-by, I do NOT believe that when we are born that God has the exact hour, place, time, and way that we will die etched in cosmic stone, never to be erased nor altered by Him.

God has turned us over to our sinful ways as he did Adam and Eve when He turned them out of the gardern.

Ever since then, all matter, including humans, began to decay, including our DNA.

People get sick, get cancer, are born with life-threatening birth defects, get hit by cars, and choke on crackers.

But God is not up there in heaven marking out our deaths....He does not say when we are born...."O.K., she gets AIDS, he gets murdered, he dies of old age, she has Alzheimer's, that family dies in their sleep in a fire, that baby never makes it out of the womb alive...."

Our deaths are for the MOST part, a simple part of nature. We get the flu naturally and we die naturally. Surely, God can SUPERNATURALLY intervene and DOES intervene sometimes. It is His business to take someone on His own timeframe.

Death is usually natural. Sometimes people bring it on themselves, sometimes evil is thrust upon the innocent, sometimes it just happens and sometimes God intervenes to hasten it up or even to halt it.

But God is not in the business of being a puppeteer.

He is Sovereign, but contained deep inside that Holy Sovereignty is our free will.

God CAN predestinate our deaths to the exact nanosecond and exact time and exact method. And He DOES know when we WILL die.

But that doesn't mean He wrote it in stone before He created us.

He is more interested in guiding us through our lives and molding us into the children that we should be.

God is a Sovereign Master, allowing us a free will. He is NOT a rigid puppeteer, playing with us like we were inanimate toys.

Peace-
    Scarlett O.
    <><

11. Roguelet

Roguelet Guest

The person I was talking to is a Christian a very bright one at that.

I agree with Scarlett O. on the matter [​IMG]

12. TomMann

TomMann New Member

Isa 46:9-10
    9 Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,

10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure: KJV
    [​IMG]

13. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

My feelings on this are very hard to explain.

While I believe that God is in total control over where, when and how we die - I also believe that His decision is based partially on our behavior.

Remember Ananias and his wife and the lie they told about the price of their land?

I think that if you become too carnal or too damaging to others, spiritually, that God may remove you from this world ealier than He would have removed you if you had listened to His will.

Which, to me, makes sense spiritually. If you are going to ignore God's purpose in your life, then why keep you around to fulfill that purpose?

The bible does say that for everything there is a season, and that there is a time to die. If we think of ourselves as a crop that God planted, we either blossom or we wither on the vine. If we blossom, maybe we are left to go to seed. If we wither, maybe we're pruned off.

14. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

I believe and I think that scripture will back this up. Our obedience to God and our disobedience to God will effect our time of death. If we are obedient, then God will allow a longer time to live,i.e. honoring our parents. If we stray in sin then God will allow those results of the sin to effect our lives, sometimes resulting in death. Ultimately, God is never surprised about our death and knows when it will happen.

15. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

God can't overrule the law of the nature He created. In other words, He has a definite plan for your life, but if you jump off of a 30 story building and die, you'll thwart His perfect will. There is a difference between His perfect will and His permissive will.

If you eat junk food, never exercise and sit in front of the TV all day, statistics show that you'll probably die earlier than if you eat right, exercise, etc. Of course, there is always the exception of the person we consider to be in perfect health that drops dead of a heart attack.

Exercise profiteth the body little, but that doesn't mean it doesn't profit us some.

16. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That statement, taken at face value, makes God little more than a human.

17. Roguelet

Roguelet Guest

Ok the majority seem to be seeing it the way i did. Thanks you guys [​IMG]

18. slow to learn

slow to learn New Member

19. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

That statement, taken at face value, makes God little more than a human. </font>[/QUOTE]You have taken my comment out of context. I.e., God doesn't want anyone to commit suicide, but if you put a gun to your head and pull the trigger, he's not going to overturn His physical laws. That doesn't in any way make Him human.

20. kubel

kubel New Member

I think we all need to realize that we are infinately incapable of seeing how an infinate God works. Putting our human minds to try and comprehend God will leave us with only inadequete answers to questions like these.

He is the almighty God. And we have a free will. Between only those two facts leaves our minds in confusion.