1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Time Warner and Modems

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Salty, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Currently Time-warner rents me a modem for $5.99 (+ .48 tax= $6.47) per month.

I can buy a modem at the PX for $50 (no tax).

Has anyone here ? Would you reccomend a purchase or a rental.

Note: The purchased modem would pay for itself after 7 1/2 months.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have a Motorola and had no problems in the past.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've always purchased mine in the past (just make sure you get the right one). It's much cheaper in the long run.

4. Gib

Gib Active Member

You can purchase your own modem. Call your cable provider first and make sure it is on their approved list. That way they will be able to add your modem to their inventory so they can put it on your account and get it talking to their headend.

The advantage to renting - if anything happens to the service on that modem, they usually replace, unless you have damaged it upon repair. They'll still replace it, but charge you for the damaged one.

The advantage of owning your own modem is not paying the monthly fee. Ours here is $7 a month. Mine is also a phone modem.

The disadvantage, if you have issues with your own modem and they have to come out, most cable providers will not check out your owned modem. They will check the signal levels up to the modem. If they do check your modem, they may code out your service call to include a service call fee as much as $50.

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bingo!

However, consider how often you've had to call for service on your current rented cable modem.

Do some research on the cable modem you're thinking about purchasing; especially looking for reviews on it. See what other people think of it.