1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Timely Salvations

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Forest, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You can't commit murder with a good conscience. Murder is sin. That's why Paul called himself the chief of sinners.

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    < Jn 3:8 >

3. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All God's Saints from every tribe, nation, & tongue, OT & NT, have the same mother, the Jerusalem that is above.

Are you saying that David was not, while He was committing adultry AND murdering?

And just exactly what is it that he has done wrong Willis?

2 They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the hour cometh, that whosoever killeth you shall think that he offereth service unto God. Jn 16

12 I thank him that enabled me, even Christ Jesus our Lord, for that he counted me faithful, appointing me to his service;
    13 though I was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: howbeit I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief; 1 Tim 1

11 For I make known to you, brethren, as touching the gospel which was preached by me, that it is not after man.
    12 For neither did I receive it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came to me through revelation of Jesus Christ.
    13 For ye have heard of my manner of life in time past in the Jews` religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and made havoc of it:
    14 and I advanced in the Jews` religion beyond many of mine own age among my countrymen, being more exceedingly zealous for the traditions of my fathers.
    15 But when it was the good pleasure of God, who separated me, even from my mother`s womb, and called me through his grace,
    16 to reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the Gentiles; straightway I conferred not with flesh and blood: Gal 1

9 I verily thought with myself that I ought to do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth.
    10 And this I also did in Jerusalem: and I both shut up many of the saints in prisons, having received authority from the chief priests, and when they were put to death I gave my vote against them.
    11 And punishing them oftentimes in all the synagogues, I strove to make them blaspheme; and being exceedingly mad against them, I persecuted them even unto foreign cities.
    12 Whereupon as I journeyed to Damascus with the authority and commission of the chief priests,
    13 at midday, O king, I saw on the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them that journeyed with me.
    14 And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice saying unto me in the Hebrew language, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the goad.
    15 And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.
    16 But arise, and stand upon thy feet: for to this end have I appeared unto thee, to appoint thee a minister and a witness both of the things wherein thou hast seen me, and of the things wherein I will appear unto thee;
    17 delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom I send thee,
    18 to open their eyes, that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive remission of sins and an inheritance among them that are sanctified by faith in me. Acts 26

#23 kyredneck, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2012
  4. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Let me see if I understand you:

1. Anyone who studies OT Theology must by definition be born again because if they weren't they wouldn't understand ANY of it?

2. Those who are born again may commit heinous sins without repentance?

3. Those born again may or may not actually believe the Gospel?

Consider the following verses from 1 John:

It seems like being born of God makes some kind of difference in a person's life, evidenced by: Repentance from sin, Love, and belief in Jesus.

Sounds like the same thing that happens at conversion to me.

5. 12strings

12strings Active Member

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I'm sure most PBs are like me, they won't sleep over eight hours tonight worrying about that. :)

7. Forest

Forest New Member

Acts 23:1, And Paul, earnestly beholding the council, said, Men and brethren, I have lived in all good conscience before God until this day.

8. Forest

Forest New Member

Do you have a good conscience when you sin? There is none that does not sin, but Christ, even the children of God. You will never understand the grace of God until you understand the depravity of man.

9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, thanks, I missed that one, I'll add it to my 'Paul' file now. :)

10. Forest

Forest New Member

The answer is yes to your first three questions. You will never understand the grace of God until you understand the depravity of man.

11. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I find this extremely surprising. My understanding of the depravity of man would lead me to say that depraved man can take God's scriptures and study them as interesting literature, but completely miss the point of them. There are countless "bible scholars" in secular institutions who reject the scriptures inspiration and reject the Jesus they point to. I am baffled as to how you can say that ALL of such people are by definition of their having read and studied the OT, born from above. Sorry, I don't see that at all.

12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm baffled as to why your baffled. Forest is totally in agreement with Pink:

"The importance of this doctrine of man’s total depravity also appears in the close bearing it has on other aspects of the truth, and the light it tends to cast on them. Reject what is revealed in Genesis 3 and the remainder of the Bible becomes entirely meaningless; but accept what is recorded there and everything else becomes intelligible and is seen in its proper perspective. The whole scheme of redemption manifestly proceeds in view of our first parents’ ruination of their race. Our defection in Adam and our recovery by Christ plainly stand or fall together. Because man is a sinner he needs a Saviour; and being so great a sinner, none but a divine Saviour is sufficient for him. Since sin has corrupted the whole of man’s constitution, vitiating and debasing all his faculties, he is utterly incapable of doing anything to raise himself out of the horrible pit into which the fall has plunged him. Sooner will the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard his spots than those who are at enmity with God evoke any love to Him or do that which is pleasing in His sight. If such a creature is to be made fit to dwell forever with the thrice holy One, obviously a miracle of grace must be worked in him.

Equally real and great is the practical value of this doctrine. Nothing else is so well calculated to humble the proud heart of man and bring him into the dust before his Maker crying, "Behold, I am vile." Nothing else is so well calculated to demonstrate the utter futility of the sinner’s attempting to appease God and obtain His approbation by any efforts of his own, or to gain acceptance with Him by his own performance. A murderer standing in the dock might as well seek to win the judge’s favor by his smiles and flattery. Nothing is so well calculated to convince us that, since our hearts are rotten to the core, our very righteousnesses are as filthy rags. And nothing else will so deeply impress on the heart of a believer his entire dependence on the Lord as a keen sense of what he is by nature. He must realize that God must work in him to will and to do of His good pleasure if he is ever to perform His bidding, that nothing but daily supplies of grace can preserve him in the narrow way...."
    http://www.pbministries.org/books/pink/Depravity/deprave_12.htm

There are those here on the BB that reject the doctrine of Total Depravity of Man. Are you one of those?

13. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I am in total agreement with everything quoted here. I am not in agreement with the idea that the simple fact that a person studies the OT, or the bible for that matter, means they must have been born again (regenerated). It seems to be saying that any APPEARANCE of interest in biblical things can only come from the new birth. Satan himself is knowledgable of the Bible. Jesus said many would come to him and point to their good deeds done in his name, and he would say "Depart from me, I never knew you."

Forest seems to be saying that if they had that bible head-knowledge, or if they were doing any good deeds, then Jesus actually does know them,..they are His. Even though they reject him, and do not have the belief in Him that is the evidence of the new birth. (see back to 1 John).

I'm not saying depraved man can do anything good in God's sight. I am saying that a depraved, unregenerate, unelect man CAN learn some head-knowledge about the Bible without that in itself being evidence of the new birth.

14. mandym

mandym New Member

Why is the word deliverance important to you?

15. Forest

Forest New Member

Then you must not understand the meaning of 1 Cor 2:14, But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness unto him; neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. The natural man has no desire to know God, or to want to read and study the scriptures. Ps 10:4 The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek God, God is not in all his thoughts.

16. Forest

Forest New Member

Nice exortation kyredneck.

17. Forest

Forest New Member

Because it makes it easier for those who apply all salvation scriptures to eternal, to see that there are many things that God delivers us from as we live here in this world. Most of the salvations scriptures are pertaining to timely deliverances.

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I did a search, and used "thy salvation", and came up with 41 verse references. When I did a search using "thy salvationS, it came up a big "goose egg". There is only ONE salvation, given by ONE Lord, who performed ONE sacrifice, to accomplish the ONE will of the Father.

Salvation is a deliverance from a dead state of sin into a lively hope in Christ Jesus the Lord. There is only ONE salvation, and that ONE is eternal in existance.

#38 convicted1, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2012
  19. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Soteria

The KJV New Testament Greek Lexicon

Definition
    deliverance, preservation, safety, salvation deliverance from the molestation of enemies in an ethical sense, that which concludes to the souls safety or salvation of Messianic salvation salvation as the present possession of all true Christians future salvation, the sum of benefits and blessings which the Christians, redeemed from all earthly ills, will enjoy after the visible return of Christ from heaven in the consummated and eternal kingdom of God. Fourfold salvation: saved from the penalty, power, presence and most importantly the pleasure of sin. A.W. Pink

King James Word Usage - Total: 45
    salvation 40, the (one) be saved 1, deliver + (1325)&version=kjv 1, health 1, saving 1, that (one) be saved + (1519) 1

#39 kyredneck, Feb 18, 2012
  20. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be impossible for me to recount the number of times I have been saved from great error and distress by simply heeding to the wisdom of scripture, such as is contained in Proverbs alone. There is no greater wisdom to be had than to follow Christ and obey Him. Great deliverance there is in that. But only those who have been born from above can see and enter into this.

#40 kyredneck, Feb 18, 2012