1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Times they are a changing"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Must wear hats/gloves to church (fading out into oblivion except in Black congregations by 1960's) for women; dapper fedoras for men.

No make up or nylon hose until well into teen years (now I see 10 year olds with it)

No tobbaco products (cigars, cigarettes, snuff, skoal) unless you were Southern Babdiss and then it was crowded outside between SS and Church

Employment on Sunday - unless it was LIFE SAVING (nurse, police) you did not work. Nor buy anything on Sunday if you culd buy it on Monday (like gas for the car)

No eating or activity where alcohol could be purchased. If booze was available, the restaurant was off limits. Or bowling alley. Or roller rink.

No yardwork/housework on Sunday. Could not iron or mow (for those who do not know what "iron" means, send me a tweet and I'll explain)

Other have mentioned obvious taboo areas - playing cards (we could not even play board games on Sunday), movies, dance, drinking alcohol, etc

BTW, one of the young ladies in our Baptist college was expelled for wearing an immodest swim suit.

It had a hole in the knee. :laugh:

[​IMG]

#21 Dr. Bob, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2010
  2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I can remember when I worked at a Christian conference grounds in the summer and the "fundamentalist" groups would come and the girls and boys would swim on alternating days but not at the same time. Their leaders were not ever at the swimming pool. When the girls swam the boys were lined along the outside of the fence watching. I never saw such a thing that was so obvious. There were non-Christians who would drive through and see that. Just imagine what they saw when all of the boys were lined up around the outside of the fence. That particular conference grounds had some of the best speakers/preachers in the world come to give the messages but those groups "had to have" their own kind preach because the best was not good enough for them. Men like Hunter, Palau, and MacArthur spoke.

#22 gb93433, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2010
  3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Even Dr. Bob has gone "Cold Turkey" on his bow tie!!!:tear:

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Babies cryin'!!

Preachers yellin'

Air Conditioner roarin'

We installed our first air unit in the early 60's-----made so much racket---the preacher had to yell to be heard over it---"What's he so mad at???"----he wasn't mad---he had to scream to be heard----which upset the babies and made them cry------------but we had air condition---and was worth it even when the preacher yelled and the babies cried!!!!:laugh: