1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing and debts

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Nov 18, 2011.

1. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I agree with this entire post. However Crab is not returning to the law, but rather using an OT principle as a suggested guide for those who might wonder how much to give.

2. mandym

mandym New Member

I have to say this is something we can agree on. Nicely put.:thumbs:

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

We already have a guide! Crab IS returning to the law if he even suggests the tithe for the church or himself or to even use it as a guide.. God told us how to give and it is not based on an amount. To teach amount based giving is law and legalism. The only guide we need is cheerfulness from the heart. Obey the scriptures and tell the people to give from the heart cheerfully and when they no longer feel the cheerfulness of the giving STOP!

The only reason that anyone teaches the tithe or uses it for a way to set a standard is because they do not trust the word of God or the God of the word in this area and they are trying in the flesh to do what they cannot trust Him for. All giving based on the tithe in any way is legalism. The tithe locks the person in bondage where Lords' way sets us free IF we will believe.

4. mandym

mandym New Member

You take everything to a severe and unnecessary extreme. It is your freedom to do that but your not believable when you do.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Then just believe the bible as it does not teach the tithe for the church.

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me where it says not to give ten percent, or ever more.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Explain that one.

8. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    During my life my experience has been that the more I have given and the more I help others the more I have received in return. Giving and help go beyond money and include time and work.

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have found the opposite... especially in regard to the Malachi test of God, as many speakers and authors still push.

10. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

When the NT tells us how to give, and it does, and leaves out the tithe, and it does, it does not have to say "Oh and by the way don't base this on the tithe." Just obey what is given and stop tryng to do it your way. Like I said the reason people follow the tithe in any form or fashion is because they do not believe God on the matter of NT giving. Also giving as the NT has set forth is much more difficult then is following a system like the tithe (law). It requires one to always be faced with their heart while the tithe causes one to be puffed up making them think they have accomplished the will of God when all they have done is be disobedient to it. The tithe is legalistic.

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Let's be honest here. Isn't that no different then the prosperity gospel, just packaged a little different?

13. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all. I did not say that God had made me rich. Blessings come in many other ways, like meeting wonderful people I would never have met if I had not entered into a particular volunteer work in Prague.

God deals with each person in his own way. Each person is unique and God interacts with each person uniquely.

I have simply commented on my experience. Your experience would be different as you are a different person.

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Still it is a form of the posterity gospel. Give to get no matter what we may claim we get in return. It could be money or friends or what ever. The word of God never suggest that using tactics to get people to give is how we are to teach to give.
    Whether it is through the pressure of the tithe, or the suggestion of a reward the end result is legalism. We are all to give and there is no one who is not to give. Our giving is to be as God has prospered us, not based on any percent, but rather given from the heart that is cheerful about the amount being given.