1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing and Giving

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Jan 29, 2012.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wasn't it the widow in Lk. 21:2 whom Jesus held up as an example of giving?

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes and that is NT giving and has nothing to with the tithe. Any reference to the tithe for giving today is sin and legalism.

4. Dr Mixer GED

Dr Mixer GED Member

I agree it is certainly legalism, however, I cannot agree nor see how you find it to be sin.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Is legalism sin?

6. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

I would say 3 principles come to bear from the bible in reagrds to this entire discussion!

One is that we are freed now from the law, now living under Grace, so legally freed up to do all things, but should ONLY do those thing that spiritually benefit us!

Another is that wether tithe or geace giving, need to do as what is purposed in your heart, based upon your conviction understanding of the scriptures!

Finally, need to know that what would be wrong and sin to you might be ok to another, so cannot judge ane another as reagrds to how giving/what method, as falls under 'grace/personal conviction!"

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is there anyone who supports tithing as a continuation of the OT who also supports Levirate marriage and the sabbath?

8. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Those two items were peculiar to the law governing isreal under Old Covenant , while the tithe was in force as a principle from God before that!

Also, those 2 items NOT in forced under New Covenant, while the tithe was NOT expressly overode under new Covenant!

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why did Paul use the word giving instead of tithing? Why did Jesus use the woman with the two coins as an example of giving and not tithing?

10. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

i am not arguing with you, as I to tend to hold to more of 'free will" giving under new Covenant, but do you hold as fal that Christians practicing giving as being under tithe principle still are sinning?

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I find it interesting that down through the ages very little about tithing was taught and promoted until about 1870 when there was the push and campaign for tithing in effort to raise more money. I wonder how much of that was connected to the results of the Civil War. It never ceases to amaze me how many efforts and temporary doctrines stem from other issues outside of scripture.

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Tithing

Edited by poster

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member