1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing Challenge

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by chipsgirl, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I think that it is wickedness that supposedly good churches are split on the issue of tithing. It is not a gray area such as divorce and remarriage. The scriptures are plain in their explaination of tithing. It is evident that the church today has perverted the concept.

Even if tithing were for the church, the way in which it is done (tithe and be blessed)is not even scriptural.

Tithing was never for money. There is no evidence that Abraham previously tithed or ever did again. In fact the example was that he tithed on the spoils of war and not his income. Then he gave the rest to the king and kept nothing for himself.

When tithes were paid to the temple it was so the people could be fed. It wasn't so the Church can have bank accounts for building programs and savings.(not that those things are bad. Just not what the tithe was for) There is no where in the entire bible where a man or organization was authorized to exact 10% of a mans wages.

Tithing is bullying people into paying. These churches promise a blessing which is unfounded in scripture.

The blessing comes when church leadership tell the truth about giving, trust God that THEIR needs will be fulfilled and allow the people to be blessed biblically by giving with a cheerful heart.

This is no small matter of preference. Jesus went to the cross to fulfill the law and to free us from its condemnation. God cannot be pleased with churches that attempt to keep their flocks in bondage due to leaderships lack of faith! :(

2. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Thank you Soulman....everytime I hear a preacher quote Malachi 3 and beat his people over the head with the God-robber thing I feel like going out in the woods and screaming at the top of my lungs.I am so tired of hearing that passage jerked out of its context....really...it almost brings me to tears to hear people placed under a supposed curse.I wonder what any lost people in attendance must think when they hear that.May God deliver us!!!!!

Greg Sr.

3. Glory2God

Glory2God New Member

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Isn't this a little [well a lot] like the "Seed Faith" argument of the "Name it and Claim it" and "Word of Faith" crowd on TV? :confused:

5. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Bravo Glory2God.
    This is one area where there seems to be some unity on this board. So many are trapped into the bondage of tithing. We should always give sacrificially and cheerfully. Never because we are told we are robbing God. Give to churches that trust God with their finances.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chipsgirl, it has been 3 weeks since your original post. You should have had at least one pay period. Have you paid your tithe(s) and still met those bills which you said are "more...than income?" It's still quite a spell till Mother's Day, but since this was your challenge, you shouldn't mind keeping us informed.

7. Leviticus

Leviticus New Member

The very idea of being cast in to the disobedient group for not giving 10% will greatly discourage those who live below poverty level. Hmm, let me see food for the kids or church electric bill?
    Teaching giving instead allows these people to begin giving smaller amounts that they would normally keep. The reason they keep it is because they feel it's a moot point with some pastor shaming them because they didn't hit the 10% mark.
    Maybe your pastor should trust the Lord to meet budget.

8. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Preach it Leviticus !

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, Mother's Day has passed, and I for one have not forgotten this thread. Chipsgirl, did you follow through as you said you would and tithe, and "lots more?" And you still paid all those bills which were "more than income?" And did you find out where "the money came from", if it did? And who else has anything to 'report' if you took this "challenge?"