1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing is Unscriptural Under the New Covenant

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Sep 26, 2007.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

I ran into this website, and its talking about how many pastors and ministers take advantage of GOD's word to get people to tithe. I posted some of the article but if you are interested in the whole study the link is below. Please read and give me feedback on this subject, I know its lONG but please brothers and sisters.. help me out on this and provide objective feedback. :wavey:

http://www.bible-truths.com/tithing.html
    Tithing is Unscriptural Under the New Covenant

[A Scriptural Exposition on the Fraudulent Fleecing of the Flock]

Since first posting this tithing paper on bible-truths.com, we have had hundreds of thousands of visitors seeking information on this topic. Many have written me personally thanking me for freeing them from this illegal and abusive practice of the Church. I have also received emails from some who are sure that tithing is a bonafide legal obligation for members of the New Testament Christian Church.

Objections to my paper range from simply quoting the prophet Malachi sent to the priests and nation of Israel: "Wherein have we robbed Thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse…." While others who can find absolutely no Scriptural authority for Christians to tithe, invent clever little doctrines like this:

"Tithing was a form of worship to God, and since we still worship God, we must still tithe."

I will answer this one in one sentence: Since burnt offerings were a form of worshiping God, and since we still worship God, must we still offer burnt offerings to God? ... Ridiculous.

Part II of this paper covers the Malachi prophecy more thoroughly as it concerns the subject of tithing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART I

"Will a man ROB God?" How many untold tens of thousands of men will give account one day for teaching this verse in Malachi 3:8 totally out of context for their own sordid gain. I couldn’t count the times I have heard self-appointed ministers of the gospel berate their congregations and listeners for "robbing God" in tithes and offerings. This verse in Malachi certainly means what it says. Someone was defrauding God of tithes and offerings, but wait until you find out who it is that God blames for this act.

On any given Sunday morning there will be numerous men-of-the-cloth who will be bellowing out over the air waves that people are being "cursed with a curse" because they have failed to pay God ten percent of their paychecks. And should such a gullible listener decide to repent and give God ten percent of his salary, just how would he do that? Just keep reading. These men of the cloth who often have unquenchable worldly desires of the flesh, will be sure to give you an address where you can send them (or, ah, rather God) your tithe. And do they have a right to quote these Scriptures in this manner? No they do not, and furthermore they themselves know better.

SOME SHOCKING TRUTHS ABOUT THE CHRISTIAN TITHING DOCTRINE

Abraham never tithed on his own personal property or livestock.

Jacob wouldn’t tithe until God blessed him first.

Only Levite priests could collect tithes, and there are no Levite priests today.

Only food products from the land were tithable.

Money was never a titheable commodity.

Christian converts were never asked to tithe anything to the Church.

Tithing in the Church first appears centuries after completion of the Bible.
    ALL SCRIPTURAL REFERENCES TO TITHING

We will now go through all the Scriptural references in the Bible on tithe, tithes, and tithing:

[1] Gen. 14:20, "And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he [Abram] gave him [Melchizedek king of Salem, the priest of the most high God, Ver. 18] TITHES of all [all the goods of war, Ver. 16]."

We read again of this same event in the book of Hebrews:

[2] Heb. 7:1-10, "For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of God Most High, who meets with Abraham returning from the combat with the kings and blesses him, to whom Abraham parts a TITHE also, from all... Now, behold how eminent this one is to whom the patriarch Abraham gives a TITHE also of the best of the booty. And, indeed, those of the sons of Levi who obtain the priestly office have a direction to take TITHES from the people according to the law... And here, indeed, dying men are obtaining TITHES... And so, to say, through Abraham, Levi also, who is obtaining the TITHES, has been TITHED, for he was still in the loins of his father when Melchizedek meets with him."

There are a number of things we can learn concerning tithing from this section of Scriptures. In this, the first mention of tithing in the Bible, Abram gives to Melchizedek (a priest of God who was also the king of the city of Salem) a tithe of the best of the booty taken in war. Notice that this was not wheat, corn, wine, oil, or cattle from Abram’s personal possessions, but rather booty taken from conquered nations.

There is nothing stated here that would cause us to conclude that Abram (later changed to Abraham) ever tithed on a regular basis on his own person possessions. Although Abraham gave Melchizedek a tithe of the booty of war, he told the king of Sodom that he would take none of it for himself.

In this same account recorded in the seventh chapter of Hebrews, we learn that the priests of Levi, from the family of Aaron (although far inferior to the priestly order of Melchizedek) also receive tithes from the people according to the law. This tells us little more about the actual tithes other than they received tithes.

Christian scholars claim that Abraham’s tithing of the spoils of war predated the Law of Moses, and therefore even if the Law of Moses is done away with, tithing is still binding on Christians because Abraham predated the Law of Moses. Is this true?

And Christendom teaches that this Scripture is the first proof from the Word of God that Christians are to tithe ten percent of their salaries to the church. But what have we really learned from these Scriptures?:

Abraham went to war on behalf of Sodom (SODOM, mind you), to rescue his nephew, Lot. He then gave 10% of these spoils of war to Melchizedek, and allowed Sodom to keep 90%, while he himself kept NOTHING!

Now then, is there a Scholar alive anywhere on earth that can explain to us how this one single unparalleled and never-again-to-be-duplicated event, is Scriptural proof that Christians should give 10% of their annual salaries (not the spoils of war, but their money, their salaries), not once, but year after year after year, not to Melchizedek, but to Clergymen who claim to be ministers of Jesus Christ? If anyone can see a similarity here, I will show him the similarity between an elephant and a fruit fly.

Next we will observe a Scripture that you will probably never hear a sermon on. No tithe-preaching clergyman would use the example of how Jacob tithed. Remember, Jacob is the grandson of Abraham, the father of the faithful, whom God also blessed tremendously. Not only did God approve of Jacob’s tithing proposal, but, He made it the foundational principle upon which all future tithing would be based. Here it is.

[3] Gen. 28:20-22, "And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, IF God will be with me, and [if God] will keep me in this way that I go, and [if God] will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, So that I come again to my father’s house in peace; THEN shall the Lord be my God: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God’s house: and of all that thou shall GIVE ME I will surely give the TENTH unto thee."

Wow! This one Scripture pretty much contradicts 99% of all sermons I have ever heard on the subject of tithing! This is the very first Scripture in the Bible that gives an account of someone giving a tenth or tithe of his personal possessions back to God. But, oh how different it is from the teachings of most Christian Churches.

2. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Pastors!!! This is a bump, I am asking for feedback. Please read and give me feedback on this.

:wavey: :wavey: :godisgood: :jesus:

3. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Why is there not one example of anyone tithing MONEY to anyone in the entirety of the Bible! :godisgood: :godisgood: :godisgood: :godisgood:

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You start off with a quote of Mal 3:8 -- then you proceed to avoid the text of Malachi like the plague.

I think that is a mistake. It is a sign that your argument is weak.

in Christ,

Bob

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

If we do not tithe to our local church; who will support it? How will missionaries be sent out? How will God's work be done?

6. NoShame

NoShame New Member

Hi Bob,

If you read the article that TaliOrlando posted the link to - you'll see that the prophecy of Malachi was covered in great depth.

Glen

7. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

TaliOrlando, you're right of course. There is no requirement that Christians tithe, but if we love God we love His church and its work. The church cannot function without adequate money so we should naturally want to support it with generous offerings. I submit that 10%, or something close to that, should be a minimum for our giving. Where a man's treasure is there his heart will be also.

As for the preachers who take one or two Sundays a year and do a tithing sermon, perhaps they would do better to come at the issue from the position of "love God, love His church."

8. soninme

soninme New Member

there is no requirement for christians to tithe , but how then will our churches survive , how will the pastor be paid , how will the widows and orphans be helped.I do not believe we are under the tithe obligation (10%) anymore. But this doesn't mean we aren't obligated to give. In fact, it might be that we should give more! I believe our responsibility is greater under the New Testament because now we don't have a simple figure (or percentage) given that we can follow, but rather must consider what the needs are around us and give accordingly.:jesus:

9. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

WOW!!!

Why do so many Pastors say that you will be cursed if you dont give you 10%%% This is manipulation and I also will continue to support my church because of course they have to pay the bills its not easy and we have to work with each other for the salvation of many.

Why do many Pastors do this??????

10. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Thanks and it talks about the subject in a very detailed manner. I was impressed by that article.

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Because you can count the offering in some Churches by how many people are there... 30 people = $30

Keep something in mind, we may not be commanded to tithe in the NT but Jesus established his priesthood after the order of Melchisedec. Abraham paid tithe to Melchisedec prior to the start of Judiasm (Heb 7:2).

Secondly, can you show me a scripture commanding you not to tithe? How about one doing away with tithing?

Lastly, what we do know about NT giving is everyone in the Church was required to sell all they had and give all to a general fund. Why are you not upset the pastor didn't ask you to do this?

Seems you have grouped all pastors into this catagory when in reality you should be having this debate with the one you heard asking for 10%.

Here is the scripture I use for offering...

Lk 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

12. Tazman

Tazman New Member

LeBuick