1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing or Giving II

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Deacon, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church here in Langhorne, PA will be moving and building a new building over an existing structure within the next few years at the cost of multiple millions of dollars.

Today will be the third sermon of eight on Stewardship at the church.

At the begining of the sermon series the pastor joked (but was serious) that the reason the topic was being preached was to prepare the congregation to give as they should.

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

We all need to learn to be good stewards, not just financially, but with everything God has given us...

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have often heard it said, "You can measure a persons commitment by looking at their calendar and the checkbook..."

4. Soulman

Soulman New Member

A church can move forward on faith that God will provide. Teaching on stewardship is great as long as good Godly giving is taught. Let the people experience the joys of giving biblically and cheerfully!

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone answering the poll said that their church encourages responsible stewardship.

Yet only slightly more than half of the people polled have regular sermons on stewardship, giving or tithing. It can't be for lack of scripture relating to money.

"Throughout the entire Bible there are roughly 2,350 verses concerning money. This is roughly twice as many as faith and prayer combined. Fifteen percent of everything Jesus said related to money and possessions. He spoke about money and possessions more than heaven and hell combined. The only subject Jesus spoke of more often is the Kingdom of God." From "The Treasure Principle", by Randy Alcorn

...and more than half of those responding reported that their church doesn't teach how to minimise their debt or how to get out of debt if they are troubled by it.

Households in 2003 racked up $412 billion in credit card charges, up 185% from five years ago. The average balance on open credit cards is over $4K. It's a #1 problem for consumers, a major cause in the breakup of marriages today.

Concerning the last question: I personally believe that a measure of committment to the heavenly kingdom is revealed in our committment to give to the kingdom.

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19 NAS

"...it is required of stewards that one be found trustworthy." 1 Corinthians 4:2 NAS

As mentioned in a post above, we are stewards of our time, our gifts, our life, and our money, in fact, everything is a gift from our God.

Rob

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What would churches have to say about that? "Start giving a complete tithe ("to us") and your financial troubles will go away"? Probably, because I have heard that taught and preached before. That's nonsense. What is needed is to stop buying on credit-- tear up those cards if you need to be dramatic and really will not stop using them without that-- and cut in every area possible, including contributions anywhere for a time.

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We live in a prosperous country here in the USA.
    We have lots of things and always want more.

It is a rare church that offers financial counseling to the many that need it.
    It probably would be a way to draw unbelievers to the church; "free financial counseling".
    It would certainly help those in the church too.
    The catch would be teaching them that all they have is the LORD's; instilling a kingdom outlook.

Over the last few years the deacon's in the church where I serve have come to realize that merely offering a needy family money rarely helps, they always come back for more.
    We need to teach them how to make good financial decisions. That means sitting down and going over their books...and doing some hard work.

What's the saying...Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime. (Talk to a man about how they should fish they call you a consultant).

Rob

8. I Am Blessed 24

Our preacher gives free financial counseling and also preaches how to get out of debt from the pulpit.

You are correct. The 'secret' is cutting up your credit cards.

If we don't have the cash for something - we don't buy it - simple huh?

9. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

You always need to keep a credit card though for emergencies.

10. I Am Blessed 24

We have no credit cards. We have a debit card which we use in emergencies, but we can't use that if there's no money in the bank...

11. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

How would you get a rental car, or some other thing requiring a credit card number, if the need arose?

12. I Am Blessed 24

The debit card works fine in most instances. I can use it to order online etc. It works just like a credit card as long as you have money in the bank to support it.