1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing or giving

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Soulman, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Two questions . . .

Didn't Abraham give tithe to Melchizedek the priest? That would be before the law, wouldn't it?

I've always thought of the storehouse referred to in Malachi as the church you're a member of. So giving ones whole tithe to the church is 'storehouse tithing'?

2. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. He did this once, off the spoils of war, and there is no biblical record of him ever doing it again.

2. In Malachi , the priests received the tithe and put it in the temple storehouse. This tithe consisted of food (not money) so that the priests, levites, and poor could be taken care of. The people were holding back and not bringing all the tithe in. i.e., they were keeping it for themselves.

Nowhere in the NT are we (the Church) told to tithe. We certainly are told to give cheerfully and willingly, but we are not commanded to give any set percentage. If we give generously in this way, we will reap generously - but not necessarily financially - in return.

3. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Excellent biblical answer TC!

4. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

The tithe was always food, but if you redeemed it (for $) you had to add a fifth...

Don't forget, according to Duet 14, you are commanded to eat your own tithe, for 3 years, at a designated location. If you redeem the tithe (because you cannot carry it to the designated location) you can spend the money on anything you want!!!!

5. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Quoted by Gayla: I've always thought of the storehouse referred to in Malachi as the church you're a member of. So giving ones whole tithe to the church is 'storehouse tithing'?

The way that it is being taught today is that your church is the storehouse. They teach this so that you will give your full 10% to the church before giving any free will offerings to help a brother or sister in need.

It is not for the church today. Your offering should go in part to your church to help support the ministry. You can split it up any way you feel led in order to help those in need and any other way promoting the work of God.

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I have to agree. For instance, I have several lines of work and one of the major ones is to fix electronic equipment or set up sound systems.

I spend every service at church running the sound boards and setting everything up for the sound and solos (practice), etc.

As far as this is concerned, I consider this time is being given to the church since otherwise I would be charging them for it.

7. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Yes. And that is biblical. You won't hear that preached from many pulpits though.

8. blessedmamma

blessedmamma New Member

I give what God has pressed upon my heart to give. The Lord would rather you be a joyful give than a resentful tither.

9. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Amen Blessedmamma! Thats preachin!