1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing time

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by amixedupmom, Jul 26, 2004.

1. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Is it alright for a christian to tithe their time in addition or instead of money? In some cases would the time be better than the money? Such as helping keep the church up, and things of this sort. Or volenteering to help with Sunday School, and so on? What are your thoughts on this?

2. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

We are to give of our time and a portion of our income. If we have no income, then all we can give is our time. The giving of your time is precious and help is always needed.

When you help with maintenace, cleaning, and general up-keep, this is a donation of your labor and it's a gift to your church.

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Christians don't have to tithe anything. The tithe teachers are those who are spiritually weak and are reverting back to the law.

4. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

What about the widow who gave two mites? She gave what she had.

Daniel David is correct that 10% tithing cannot be required.

God has blessed me financially so I do tithe 10% - but this cannot be enforced. And God would not expect someone to not pay rent or not buy food just so he/she could put 100 bucks in a collection plate.

Give what you have with a pure heart and God will bless you!

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sounds like a good idea to me, there are many ways that we can give, money is not the only one.

6. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Let's see, do you have any money at all? If you do, 10% should go back to the Lord. Why? Because the Bible teaches this and besides, God gave you the ability to make that money, no matter how little or how much it is, so don't you think you can give a little back to him.? Besides, it's his anyways, he's just letting you borrow it.

Also, think gross, not net.

God bless,
    R&R

7. aefting

aefting New Member

Our lives and money all belong to God. We should give of both freely to the Lord. Certainly, no one should give time just so they won't have to give their money.

I once had an employer decide to pay me with with time instead of money once -- it's called a layoff or as they told me, a strategic realignment. :eek:

Andy

8. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I agree with DD on this issue, and evidently most Baptists do as well - it is fairly well documented that the old 80-20 rule is at work in most of our churches. 20% of the people provide 80% of the finances. I am on our churches stewardship team, and while I have no idea who gives or what they give, I know that based on average salaries for our area few give an amount even approaching 10%.

Obviously 10% is an OT law, and principle that Christ demolished with his example and parables. 10% is a good rule and hopefully starting place. Unfortunately too many in our society are overcome by credit cards, car loans and mortgages. to those people I recommend that they begin giving something, in obedience, to the church. I further recommend that they tear up the credit cards, and get a plan to get get out of debt - so that they can experience the joy of giving.

One practical suggestion I give to those who are just starting out in giving, is to match their discrectionary spending with giving to the church - that is, if you spend $40 going out to eat, set aside $40 for the church.

9. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

When it comes to money, give God the "first fruits" of your income, not the "left-overs" and He will bless your giving. Your spending habits and priorities will change for the better.

Also, don't wait to feel "cheerful" to do it, just get started. "Cheerfulness" is a subjective feeling and not "feeling cheerful" is no excuse for withholding from your church. Take it to the Lord in prayer and he will give you an answer on the amount you should give. I assure you.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

It can also be said that non-tithe teachers are financially selfish and greedy. You know better than this, DD.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If we're not required to tithe, and not required to give, how, then, is our church supposed to operate? No, tithing is not a requirement for salvation or any such thing, but c'mon, folks, if you're getting something out of a church, then you should be financially supporting the church.

12. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I don't agree that tithing is biblical, but I wouldn't call those who teach tithing "spiritually weak", but I would agree that they are using the law in order to "encourage" tithing. I once asked a pastor if he was going to stick with old testament tithing 100% then shouldn't we be bringing grain and corn to church instead of money? I believe in giving to your church, and I think 10% is a good place to start, but I think pastors that preach tithing over stewardship teach their congregations that 10% is all that is required and 10% is all they will end up giving.

We should follow Mr. J.C. Penny's model of starting with 10% and working towards 100% of what God leads us to give with a cheerfull heart.

As far as "tithing time", I once was the youth pastor at a small church that was having some financial problems, I volunteered to have my salary cut 100% and serve as the youth pastor without pay. Would it have been better if I would have instead accepted the paycheck and tithed 10% back to the church?

13. jle

jle New Member

1 - Tithe is more than just maoney, though it can not be separated from the money. What I am saying is, as believers we are to be tithing on our time and talent and money...

2 - What if the whole church began to see things this way? What if you were the staff member or spouse of such, that is expecting a paycheck, when the time comes? Imagine being called in and told by the personell team that you will have to be let go because there is no money to pay the salaries and if the body continues to come and clean, work, serve... instead of giving their tithe of the income, the church will look good but the doors will be closed.

3 - I would encourage you to check out Ronnie Floyds message on this topic.

SBC Pastors Conference - Ronnie Floyd

14. jle

jle New Member

As one of my favorite preachers asked in a sermon on this topic...

Since when does being under the grace of God demand any less than being under the law of God?

Witness

15. jle

jle New Member

So do you believe the widows mite was more or less than 10%? If that is yourstandard, do you need to raise or lower your percentage?

jle

16. jle

jle New Member

Good response.

It seems many Christians want to be owners and not stewards.

jle

17. jle

jle New Member

1 Chronicles 29:3.

David had no problem with the doctrine of stewardship. As we read scripture, neither did Ezra, Nehemiah, Jesus...

Could you show me where scripture supports giving (our weekly donation) out of what we receive from the church?

18. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Got a New Testament Scripture to back this up?

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There is no tithe for the church. That was law. If you want to work for the Lord do so from the heart and do not try and substute it for money. According to scripture we are all to give the first of every week according to how the Lord has prospered us and give from a cheerful heart so there is no substitute for giving money. It is always to be from the heart and not grudgingly. The right had is not to know what the left hand is doing, just give and just serve out of love for the Lord and forget about how to get around giving money.

If you want to read the truth about tithing read here;
    http://members.aol.com/richinri/messages/tithing.htm

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who ought to get the shorter end of the deal? 'You' or the church?