1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing time

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by amixedupmom, Jul 26, 2004.

1. jle

jle New Member

Got a New Testament Scripture to back this up? </font>[/QUOTE]So do we disregard the OT on this issue? If so, is that because it (the OT) is no longer a part of scripture to be followed, or really no longer scripture for 21st century Christians?

I ask again, as one of my favorite preachers did...

Since when does being under the grace of God demand any less than being under the law of God?

Any takers?????

witness

2. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

3. jle

jle New Member

More than a good sound bite and I would disagree that grace requires less. I think grace requires more.

The 10th (tithe if you want) is the floor of our giving, not the ceiling.

Even the widows mite (spoken of already in this thread) is much more than a tithe.

Sidenote: I used to live and pastor in Greensboro, NC.mid 90's.

4. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Hey, you tithe believers, go ahead and tithe. In fact, you should give more to make up for us Christians who do not tithe.

5. jle

jle New Member

I see you have no concern for the welfare of the ministers in the church. :rolleyes:

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More than a good sound bite and I would disagree that grace requires less. I think grace requires more.

Its sheer nonsense to call it grace then. How many more kinds of meat are forbidden to be eaten under 'grace?' How many more kinds of fabrics cannot be worn together under 'grace?' How many more whole carcasses must be burned up on an altar under 'grace?'

The 10th (tithe if you want) is the floor of our giving, not the ceiling.

Okay, I'm willing to walk all over it.

7. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Got a New Testament Scripture to back this up? [/qb][/QUOTE]So do we disregard the OT on this issue? If so, is that because it (the OT) is no longer a part of scripture to be followed, or really no longer scripture for 21st century Christians?

I ask again, as one of my favorite preachers did...

Since when does being under the grace of God demand any less than being under the law of God?

Any takers?????

witness [/QB][/QUOTE]

So do you keep the Sabbath on Saturday as commanded in the O/T Law?

What is the "New Covenant" the New Testament spaeaks of?

Acts 15:24 "Scince we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls saying, you must be circumsized and keep the law, to whom we gave no such commandment"

Acts 15:28-29 "For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these neccessary things: That you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these you will do well.

Wouldent it naturally follow that if Paul wished the Jewish Law of Tithing (Which is 3 tithes = 30%) to continue that he would have said so?

8. Terry_Herrington

I see you have no concern for the welfare of the ministers in the church. :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]Instead of accusing me of facts you know nothing about, why don't you answer the questions that have been asked you from other posters?

9. jle

jle New Member

jle: I see grace adding an element to the law, not as something binding but something to enjoy as people free in Christ. I see grace defining the law more clearly and grace fulfilling the law (such as sacrifices upon the altar). Christ fulfilled the sacrificial law. We don't need to burn another animal.

Problem here is you can't demonstrate where Christ said give less than the tithe (10% - or 23% as some believe).

jle: Obviously.

10. jle

jle New Member

Actually, I start my Sabbath at 6:00 on Saturday.

The fulfillment of this act (physical circumcision, was fulfilled in Christ, spiritually). Can you show me, from scripture, where the tithe was removed by Christ or fulfilled in Christ?

Are you wanting this verse to imply that tithing is a burdon?

Or that if he wanted it to end, he would have said so?

11. jle

jle New Member

I see you have no concern for the welfare of the ministers in the church. :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]Instead of accusing me of facts you know nothing about, why don't you answer the questions that have been asked you from other posters? </font>[/QUOTE]So I won't be accused of revealing the PM you sent me, let me ask you a question?

Do you tithe?

As a pastor who follows God's call to the field of service and understands God uses the people (working in and through them) as they give obediently to the work of the Lords through the local church (starting with the tithe) to support me and my family. I stand by my post if you do not, at least, tithe.

As far as answering the questions asked, give a person some time. I posted to you yesterday. As a Pastor, Wednesdays are busy for me.

I also, do not live on or for this forum and you need to demonstrate patience from those who don't live and breath BB.com -- I say it this way because your impatience in waiting for a reply is lacking, greatly.

Also, please DO NOT PM me again. While you are at it, please do not e-mail me either.

I wish to keep my dialogue with you public.

12. jle

jle New Member

Terry_Herrington,

Where are you? Why have you not replied yet?

Totally TIC (the above, not the below)

Praying for you to not stress out over this.

13. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

OK Jon

Perhaps I was a bit hasty - looks like you will find plenty of jousting here - even though most on this board are at least as conservative as you, and as hard for the folks over on Baptist Life to believe, even more so!

14. jle

jle New Member

I plan on enjoying my time here and will joust with the ones who need a good joust.

It does not take long for any vocal baptist to trow out their opinion and vocally let those they disagree with know.

Where in Dallas are you?

My in-laws live in Lakewood. I was married at Ridgecrest BCZ across 75 from SMU (and a few blocks south on McMillan).

Still call that church our home.

I worked with Weir's through school.

jle

15. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

We have a man in our Church who recently lost his job due to company lay-off's. He is completely dependant on his daughter's income (who tithes regularly). He makes a few bucks here and there cutting lawns.

He cuts the grass at the Church and does a good bit of maintainence out of guilt for bringing no tithe. He says his time is his tithe. I think in this type of situation giving time is a perfect replacement, considering that he has no money at all to give (and yes like the widow with the mite he does give what little he has).

Talk about great dedication! He has nothing but gives more than the average church member.

16. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

It can also be said that non-tithe teachers are financially selfish and greedy. You know better than this, DD. </font>[/QUOTE]But Tom, using guilt by association is the surest way to win any debate.

17. jle

jle New Member

Very good story. If he makes no money, he has no monetary tithe to give.

10% of 0 is 0.

There is no arguement from me about this man tithing or not.

18. Terry_Herrington

jle, no, as I already said, I do not tithe.

Now concerning the church. I think that the members of the church are the ones who should give to the church. The members of the church should give as they feel the need. I do not think that this matters as to a percentage.

19. jle

jle New Member

And where in scripture do find support for giving as you "feel" the need?

It would be a sad year for your pastor if the majority of the body became dissapointed with the pastor (not to the point of firing him, but just disapointed. They got to a point they "feel" neglected, left out... Do you think they will "feel" the need to give?

You don't even "feel" the need to give 10%.
    Where would your church be if the body got to the point they "feel" the need to give 1.00 per week for the next 52 Sundays? And that's just the ones who now tithe and give more.

What a sad way to miss the fuller blessings of God. The monor prophet, did not give a law but a standard for God's children to follow. - Malachi 3:10.

But I don' think that matters to you as far as relevance for the modern church is concerned. Am I right?

20. jle

jle New Member

Members of the local church or the church universal?

Are you a member of the church you attend?