1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing, Whats the Big Deal?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Palatka51, Oct 28, 2007.

1. kubel

kubel New Member

I don't think the problem that most people have with tithing is the principle/efficiency/etc... Each member giving 10% can effectively provide for all expenses, growth, compensation etc... I don't think anyone disputes that. What people have a problem with is when giving/tithing is preached in the dishonest way that it is. It's preached neither as a OT tithe, nor as NT giving.

2. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

Here is the problem with "and I believe it is a good place to start".

1. It is NO place to start because the Bible does not give a starting point for the church age believer other than what they determine in their heart.

2. So what if YOU believe this is a good place to start (I don't mean that insultingly but to provoke response), that is your opinion for you and unless the Scriptures teach this is so, you as a Pastor are not authorized by God to teach this as a standard from God and certainly YOUR personal standards for giving aren't authorized to be taught as superior.

You start and end with the Bible and the Bible makes clear no percentage as a starting point or ending point, it doesn't give one. It makes clear it is, in the church age, as the believer determines in his heart. That is it.

3. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: It would be interesting to know who you heard these arguments from. Do you actually know they don't give at least 10%. Perhaps you are just assuming they don't give at least 10% because they don't believe in tithing. I know many who don't believe in tithing, but give more than 10%.

#23 drfuss, Oct 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2007
  4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Amen Brother and again I say Amen. :applause:

5. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard these arguments from church members who tell me they don't give at all. Some say they just can't afford it (but they can afford car payments on 2 new cars and a boat). Some say that, since tithing is Old Testament and we are a nwe testament church, they're not required to give.

In both cases, the problem, IMO, is not that they don't give, or want to give - that's just a symptom. They have a deeper spiritual problem having to do with their relationship with God.

Now, let me ask. Am I to assume that since we are a New Testament church, then none of the Old Testament applies to us anymore?

6. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I believe that a person should give what is purposed upon his or her heart. For this is a private matter that should be a decision that is between the individual and God. Pastors who become the determinant as to what a person should give has usurped the duty of the Holy Spirit and set himself to be the mediator between God and man or in effect has re instituted the Levitical priesthood.
    I think that we have forgotten that we are the temple of the Holy Spirit and that we put to much focus on what we build with our hands and not what God would have us build. We put to much on Pastors who are not to worry about tables but should be devoted to the scriptures and the preaching of the gospel. Acts 6:3,4
    We have forgotten that the deacon is to do the rest? Acts 6:5-7.

7. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

No doubt that many on this list have many assets aside for cash say Real estate, stocks and bonds, precious metals, IRAs or 401ks just to name a few. When you commit yourself to tithing are you not withholding the rest from God if you do not take these assets into account?
    Read what happened to a certain couple that tried to withhold what they had commited to God in Acts 5:1-11.

8. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

:applause: Great Point :thumbsup:

9. standingfirminChrist

I do not believe Ananias and Sapphira were in the group of believers in Acts 4 who "were of one heart and of one soul." Nor do I believe they were of the multitude of believers that "had all things common" in verse 32. For chapter 5 begins with

Acts 5:1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,

The couple that 'kept back part of the price," were not believers, but wanted to get in on what the believer's had without counting the cost. They paid dearly for that.

Would one who was a Believer, one who was indwelt by the Holy Ghost, lie to the Holy Ghost? I don't believe he or she would.

It is obvious by the actions of A & S that they were not 'of one heart and of one soul" with the multitude of Believers in Chapter 4.

#29 standingfirminChrist, Oct 30, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  10. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I remember going to my Uncle Jakes farm outside of Americus, GA when I was just a child and he show me how his equipment planted corn. He took a dried ear of yellow corn and began to strip it into a bucket (I think that today you can buy it in a 50lb bag). He then poured the bucket into his plow with an automatic planter. It dawned on me then that just one kernel would sprout into a stalk and a stalk would yield several ears and one ear would yield a hundred kernels. And his field was 200+ acres. All from the one kernel that he gave back to the ground.
    Wow!:godisgood:

11. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Agreed but I would point you to the fact that the believers became fearful of their example. Acts 5:11 that is why I referred to this account when one commits a certain amount to God then he sure better follow through.

12. standingfirminChrist

Agreed.

If one vows a vow to the Lord, one is not to be slack concerning that vow, for the Lord will require it.

13. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Kinda reminds you of a Mob enforcer doesn't it. :thumbs:

14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

And you might just see God work and He will run a church that will praise Him and not one that will praise the works of our hands. Have our buildings become the modern Idol? Will these buildings be brought into heaven? As far as I know there is only on building that is built and it is not by the hands of man.

I am not doubting the gracious work that pastors do day onto day. I commend them but when they become concerned over money problems and put those problems on the pulpit then they have neglected their responsibilities and usurped the duty of his deacons. Please note that when it was brought to the apostles that widows were being neglected they told the church to choose more deacons. Acts 6:1-7

15. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Could you just imagine a pastor approaching the pulpit and announcing that the title of his message that God has given is Tithing and starts with I---- and ---- the --- we --- have --- Amen, and then ending with Well God gave it all to me but I only need to share 10% of it with you? :laugh:

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a valid point that many churches and ministers use a double standard in regard to being "concerned over money problems." If an individual or couple in the congregation is having money problems, the advice is to 'pay your tithe first'-- I have heard it stated just that way directly from the pulpit. But if it's the church that is having money problems, the solution is not for the church to give more money away, but to put pressure on the members to give more, and virtually always in some disguised title like "Stewardship Emphasis Campaign" or "Double Your Love Sunday" [love = money??].

If you are one who preaches or teaches this-- or just one who supports the idea-- explain, if you will, why you say individuals or couples should turn their money over "to God" [the church] and trust Him to take care of their needs, but churches should press for more tithes and offerings instead of just trust Him the same way and not be so worried about it.

17. standingfirminChrist

Valid question, Alcott. :thumbsup:

Many churches press the money issue but do not show the same concern when a need is obvious in the life of one of the congregants.

Money in the form of offerings should be brought into the sanctuary. It pays the bills... water, electricity, missions, etc.

Pastor's should also receive money from the church if the church has them so busy they are not able to hold a full-time job.

But to stand behind a pulpit and demand money while frowning on one who is in need is hypocritical in the least.

1 John 3:17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

18. pops

pops New Member

tithing what's the big deal

Whenever Tithing, offering , or free will offering comes up we get all kinds of discussion on why we are not required to do this. We are not under the law and no longer is this a requirement. If we have to give money why don't we have to give agricultural products etc etc.

I would have expected we would see a lot of positive responses on how one has been blessed by giving, different ways to give besides just in the offering plate, and other positive statements along this line. but no instead we say:
    'BAH HUMBUG! Are there no poor houses! Are there no prisons? next thing you will want the day off waste I say

19. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Dr. Mike Halsey, Pastor of County Line Christian Church, McDonaugh, Ga

My church taught me, “God wants a tenth of your money.” That’s what they said. It sounded so simple, and like most “Christian’ clichés it was bogus. Tithing wasn’t simple.

Go to Leviticus 27:30-33:

‘A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord. 31 If a man redeems any of his tithe, he must add a fifth of the value to it. 32 The entire tithe of the herd and flock—every tenth animal that passes under the shepherd’s rod—will be holy to the Lord. 33 He must not pick out the good from the bad or make any substitution. If he does make a substitution, both the animal and its substitute become holy and cannot be redeemed.’

Num. 18:21-29:

“I give to the Levites all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the Tent of Meeting. . . They will receive no inheritance among the Israelites. 24 Instead, I give to the Levites as their inheritance the tithes that the Israelites present as an offering to the Lord. That is why I said concerning them: ‘They will have no inheritance among the Israelites.’ ”

25 The Lord said to Moses, 26 “Speak to the Levites and say to them: ‘When you receive from the Israelites the tithe I give you as your inheritance, you must present a tenth of that tithe as the Lord’s offering. 27 Your offering will be reckoned to you as grain from the threshing floor or juice from the winepress. 28 In this way you also will present an offering to the Lord from all the tithes you receive from the Israelites. From these tithes you must give the Lord’s portion to Aaron the priest. 29 You must present as the Lord’s portion the best and holiest part of everything given to you.’

Then, in addition to the tithe, they had Deut. 12:6- 14: 14:22 -29:

“There bring your burnt offerings and sacrifices, your tithes and special gifts, what you have vowed to give and your freewill offerings, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks. 7 There, in the presence of the Lord your God, you and your families shall eat and shall rejoice in everything you have put your hand to, because the Lord your God has blessed you. . . . .there you are to bring everything I command you: your burnt offerings and sacrifices, your tithes and special gifts, and all the choice possessions you have vowed to the Lord.

“Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: catt le, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the aliens, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

It gets wearisome just reading it, doesn’t it? The last tithe was for the poor in Israel . So the Mosaic Law was the giving of the tithe as well as free-will giving in addition. The money went to support worship (Tabernacle/Temple), priests and Levites and to the care of the widows and the orphans.

But when we come to the church age, the New Testament epistles, things change. (If you don’t believe things change, then next Sunday, bring a lamb to church so we can slit its throat. Also, once a year live in a hut made of palm branches to properly celebrate the Feast of the Tabernacles.) Things have changed.

One thing that’s changed for sure is the Christian’s code of living. He’s no longer under the Mosaic Law, as Paul says in Romans 6:14 and 10:4:

“For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.”

“Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.”

Remembering the Mosaic Law’s complex statements on tithing, look at the New Testament way of giving II Cor. 9:7:

“Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”

To put this in the framework of Gal. 4, it’s like God is saying, “I placed you as an adult son in My family. I’m not setting a percentage from you, so forget the “1/10th of your money” cliché. In the context of II Cor., Paul points out that Christ became poverty-stricken for us, so that we might become spiritually rich in Him with all the rights and privileges we enjoy.

The end of the matter is this: Get out of the 10% syndrome. In grace giving, there is no set percentage, but recognize that the tithe, 10%, is part of the childishness of the Mosaic Law (Gal. 4); importing what Paul said in Gal. 4:1-11, it’s childish for full adult sons to give the tithe in view of the Cross (II Cor. 8:9). Odd, isn’t it, how Paul roots giving back to the Cross?

Did you read II Cor. 9:7? Look at the adult in love. You can’t keep him from spending money on his finance. He won’t do it. Never. Why? Love. Flowers, jewelry, perfume—stand out of his way, he’s on a mission for his beloved. You don’t have to pressure him to do it; love motivates him. He gives to her “without compulsion.”

Adult sons don’t have to be pressed to give generously to the Savior they love. You can’t stop them. In grace, we’re freed from pressure. That’s why Paul says what he does in this II Cor. 8 giving context: “I am not commanding you, but I want to test the sincerity of your love.”

Underlying the whole thing on giving is a Person. It’s no fun to give to “the budget.” “The budget” is an impersonal thing. But it’s “fun” (I use the word advisedly) to give to Christ, the One who loved us and gave Himself for us. We give as to Him and His ministry.

Knowing that we’re not giving to “the budget” personalizes our giving. And how did Paul personalize our giving? By writing, “I want to test the sincerity of your love.” As someone has asked, “It’s easy to say, ‘I’d give my life for the free grace message,’ . . . but would you give a thousand dollars?”

II Cor. 8-9 are stump-clearing chapters. They’re God’s machete to get the believer civilized and out of Law-giving and into grace giving. That’s what Paul called this kind of giving, “an act of grace” (II Cor. 8:6-7).

20. mes228

mes228 New Member

Tithing

It is a tragedy that many Ministers teach tithing - with no exceptions. Even if straight tithing on monies was Bibilical (it's not!!), by no stretch is all monies income or increase. I know, and have known, many that truly suffer financially tithing on Social Security, Gifts, Insurance proceeds, etc.etc. I believe that some will answer to God, for in essence they extort tithes from the poor, the widow, and the down trodden.
    If you wish to teach tithing 10% as a guide line, or a goal in free will giving, it may be O.K. But to teach that God requires 10% of an elderly couple on Social Security is the same as doing evil to them in the name of God. I don't think he will forget either. It's a darn shame that many Baptist do not teach the doctrine set forth in the "Baptist Faith and Message". Which is the official teaching of the Baptist church. Best regards and have a great day.