1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing - Yes or NO - Part II

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Dec 20, 2008.

1. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

If one uses the excuse that the government takes more than a tithe then I would guess that person's God would be the government

We as Christians can use all the excuses we want. What it actually boils down to is how much faith do you have in God and how much are you willing to give back cheerfully. BTW don't forget that Jesus gave us his all.

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who was the ancient Israelites' god? The government? judges? priests? levites?

Do you give your ALL? Every penny of your increase? Every second of your time? If not, why are you so without faith?

3. Beth

Beth New Member

I completely agree

I completely agree with you. We did (before my husband got laid off) have a separate bank account where ten percent of my husband's paycheck was automatically deposited...but that was something we purposed in our hearts since we do believe tithing is part of the Old Covenant. Our giving always exceeds that, depending on the needs of the work...food for folks in the congregation, providing meals, purchasing Sunday School materials and snacks on our own, a love offering for an unexpected missionary speaking at a night service.....

You explained the circumstances and the purposes of the tithes very well, Hank. It is also important to note that the Levites were not given a land heritage. They did not have land to work, crops to reap, their own animals to slaughter for food....their heritage was to be the Lord Himself...so the Lord provided for their physical needs through the offerings and tithes of the other tribes of Israel.

Beth

4. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe the bible says God was their God. Tho at times they did a poor job expressing it.

I give according to what God puts in my heart to give. I do know if I ever give less than my tithe, things just don't seem right. I never said you need to give what I do, I did say you should give cheerfully. Just do not use flimsy excuses not to give God what is due him. If you do that there is not a need to make excuses for why you do not give or what you do give.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NKJV

1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.
    2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
    3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.
    4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;
    5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;
    6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;
    7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

HankD​