1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by bruren777, Aug 1, 2005.

1. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

WELL,I met these people in the cafateria at school,Ijust sat with them during lunch .Ididnt even give them my name. they were just at the school donating some books to the library. thats all Ican tell you about them because thats allIno

2. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by Webdog: Again, call it what you will, but it is the "act" of tithing the Lord wants from us, not the phrase, and by no means should be "dismissed".

Of course it should be dismissed. Some of you folks seem to know better than God. This is not rocket science. The tithe is not N.T. Jesus set up the principle of giving. Gonna tell Him He's wrong?

There is no N.T. evidence ANYWHERE that tithing was EVER practised in the churches of the bible.

Webdog, to force the term tithe on people IS wrong because as it is practised in N.T. churches today scarcely even resembles what the O.T. advocated.

God NEVER gave men the right ANYTIME to exact 10% of a mans wages.

3. faithtrustbelief

faithtrustbelief New Member

AMEN BROTHER! PREACH IT. SET THESE LIBERALISTS STRAIGHT!

4. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

:rolleyes: Liberal....???? Me...??????...LITERAL YES...liberal..NEVER!!!!!...And I still contend that NOBODY can PROVE that "tithing" is for the New Testament church using the proper rules of biblical interpretation applied to either the Old OR the New Testament.NOBODY in ANY of these discussions has done it YET.The only way you can FORCE your spurious doctrine of tithing on New Testament Christians is to ignore biblical context and standard rules of interpretation.Methinks the only motive for forcing this doctrine on the church today is to be able to continue with the modern day practice of building bigger monuments to mans over-inflated egos.If the church operated on FAITH instead of trying to maintain bloated church budgets and glitzy "programs" I dare say that maybe the "world" would see the difference!I shudder everytime I hear some preacher put his people under the Malachi CURSE (since we are NOT Jews nor a part of the nation of Israel) because most of the time THAT even proceeds the lost people that are certainly present in our church services even hearing a clear presentation of that saving Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.I'm sure many of them probably leave thinking 'what kind of deal is this?'They never get to watch true born-again Christians GIVING joyfully....only by threats and fear of some unbiblical "judgement".Many of them already think that all we are after is their wallets.Such a shame. :( Go ahead and preach your curses if you like....I'm going to GIVE..(LIBERALLY ;) ) and JOYFULLY as often as I can and enjoy the riches of the freedom I have in Christ from the LAW. [​IMG]

Greg Sr.

5. Gregory Perry Sr.

By the way WebDog..."giving" is NOT something you (or me) owns....If we are saved we don't "OWN" any of it....it is ALL God's...and we are simply called to be faithful STEWARDS of all that He has given us...time,talents,money,AND material goods.God MAY call us to give it ALL....or He may just require LESS if that is the best we can do while taking care of our other responsibilities and our families.It's all about FAITH...not Law.Now if you shirk your giving in order to buy that new color TV or hunger after a new BMW....well....that just means you have bad priorities and a divided heart for God.But God has called us to peace....and to "set our affections on things above,not on things on this earth".

Greg Sr.

6. Gregory Perry Sr.

I'm gonna BUMP this topic back up the page because I think it is one that has definite importance for every Bible believer since so many preachers seem to continue placing people under an OT curse that was dealing with the Jews prior to the Birth,Life,Death,and Resurrection of our Lord(Malachi 3:8-10).Christians in this age of Grace need to learn about living by faith....not under law.

Greg Sr.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright, you didn't give them your name, but they found out your name, as well as your mailing address, some other way; right? And they must have sent $50 cash through the mail, or otherwise you would know who they were-- or was there an anonymous money order? Is it your normal practice, when meeting someone new, to not give your name? And was this lunch meeting the only time you have conversed with these people? And did you tell them, or at least hint, that you were in need of money?

8. buckster75

buckster75 Member

faithtrustbelief, you keep refering to liberals when the truth is brought up that tithing can not be taught using the NT. Again I tell you the modernistic, legalistic teaching is to teach tithing. The early Baptists did not teach it and ridiculed those who did.

9. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think another thing to keep in mind is that we have to remember the distinction between the nation of Israel (physical seed of Abraham) and the church (universal, yet dispersed body of believers). When we refer to the O.T. "Law", we must remember what that word means: law, as in "the law of the land."
    The nation of Israel was (originally) a theocracy, wherein they received the law of the land directly from God Himself. There are analogies to the law of the land in the United States as well. The O.T. law consisted of the Moral Law and the Ceremonial law. I'm sure most (if not all) of us would conclude that the Moral Law is universal. "Thou shalt not kill" should be (and mostly is) found intertwined in the law of most civilized nations, because it is the Moral Law and deals with basic human rights and responsibilities.
    The Ceremonial Law deals with laws specific to the nation of Israel. We in the United States have national days that we observe, such as Labor Day, Memorial Day, Armed Forces Day, etc. just like God set up Hebrew holidays in the Ceremonial Law: the Passover feast, the feast of Tabernacles, the days of unleavened bread, and other feasts and sacrifices.
    The United States as a nation also has a tax system, whereby a small portion of certain people's wealth is centrally collected and used for various programs. So, God instituted the tithe to the nation of Israel. Being a theocracy, God was the King, and the Levites were His representatives. They collected the tithe and fulfilled their obligation to God by distributing to the poor, widows, and strangers within the gates. The tithe was a national tax for the nation of Israel as part of the Ceremonial Law. However, unlike the tax system of the United States, it was not based on one's monetary income, it was based on the increase in one's agricultural produce.
    I believe that the Hebrew nation stopped faithfully observing God's ceremonial laws the way God intended was when they rejected their theocracy and wanted a king to be like other nations.
    Just try to keep in mind that the church is not a nation. We are not "under the Law" (ceremonial law) so to speak, because as a body of believers, we are not the nation of Israel. We are under the Law of Grace to God, and our ceremonial laws are whatever we are legally under with respect to our own nation.
    I attended a Jewish passover service held by some Messianic Jews a few months ago. I was not obligated to observe such, but I enjoyed the experience. I think the Jews still should observe the ceremonial law of God if they want God to bless them as a nation, and they must realize that that is why they have been dispersed throughout the world and lost their national power, because they failed to keep God's special laws that made them a peculiar nation. I believe that if they fully kept the Law, God would bless them as a nation.
    Salvation, on the other hand, is individual and is free to all who believe in Jesus.

10. buckster75

buckster75 Member

preacher used these verses Sunday:

Rom 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

I take it to mean that for those accepting the gift of righteousnes from God. That Jesus finished the requirement of keeping the law (not moral law).