1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by bruren777, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The word in scripture translated "tithe" is maaser, which means one-tenth. I contribute 10% of my increase to the Lord. If others want to pay more or less, let them pay more or less. Let no one judge me for it, and let me not judge another for it.

2. buckster75

buckster75 Member

If he is giving because he wants to. But he is not paying 10% to the Levites of "the temple" because there is no temple and that is why they do not teach the tithe from the Bible. It is old cov. Paul had so many places he could have spoken of the tithe and he never did.What do any of you who propose tithing do with the other tithes? You know there was more than the single 10%. And what about the adding of another fifth if it is converted to cash (which I venture most of ours is)?

3. buckster75

buckster75 Member

But how did you arrive at this amount?

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Whaqt do you mean? Leviticus talks about returning a tithe (maaser, meaning "one-tenth) of one's increase to the Lord, in several places. The word in scripture translated "tithe" is maaser, which means one-tenth. Therefore, I feel it appropriate for me to contribute 10% of my increase to the Lord.

BTW, are you more apt to know about the teaching of Judaism more than a Jew? Just curious. Because my coworker tell me that his congregation teaches tithing as being OT scriptural. And, in case you didn't know, Jews refer to their synagogues as temples.

5. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I don't want to get into an argument about this but the 2 places (the temple, synagogues)are spoken of as separate places in the Bible. And what about the other amounts of giving? What are you doing with those?

6. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Just found quote on another website. "Jewish Rabbis today (those who should know the Mosaic Law better than pastors), do not collect tithes because they know only Levites can collect the tithe."

7. buckster75

buckster75 Member

So if you trace your tithe to Leviticus do you still follow all the Law?

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Why are you asking? How I spend my income is no one's business. I tithe 10%. I give additional offerings. I don't use any of my income in an inappropriate fashion. Again, why do you ask?

9. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Because the Bible says something about "following the whole Law". If we live under it we must live under and follow it all. I'll take grace. But I am always curious about what people do with the other tithes.

10. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I have found that most people (including most pastors)have been mistaught that there is only one tithe and ignore the other 2. Again I don't want to sound argumentive at all.

11. buckster75

buckster75 Member

And in no way am I trying to get in your business. But if I can help someone discover the truth. I would like to.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If you could perhaps do it in a less roundabout fashion, that would help.

What's the big deal? The OT Jews tithed. I think tithing is a good thing to do. I therefore do it. If I don't have the ability to return to God 10%, then it's a litmus indicator that I'm probably excercising poor financial habits. When the Holy Spirit leads, I give more. I don't lose sleep over exact figures.

I don't have authority to tell everying they must tithe. I think everyone should. If others want to pay more or less, let them pay more or less. Let no one judge me for it, and let me not judge another for it. Likewise, I think everyone should put aside 10% of their income into savings, and 5% to retirement. But if they don't, it's not a sin. If they don't they might not be practicing sound financial advice. Heck, even secular financial experts tell people they should be donating a percentage of their annual income to charity, and not for the tax break. Suze Orman says that giving regularly empowers you.

On a separate topic, if we beling to or regularly attend a church, we should be supporting that church financially. Not out of fear of sinning, but out of a personal sense of responsibility.

And, fyi, I tithe also of my time and talents. Not out of objigation, but out of tahnkfulness. However, I keep those things private, out of not wanting to bring attention to myself. But most people here know that I'm heavily involved in Habitat for Humanity. That involves a lot of time and talent, and it's often thankless. But it's a necessary part of what God's people need.

13. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Part of my point is that the OT Jews gave 3 tithes. If the reason we tithe comes from OT law then it seems to me we need to include the other 20%. (one of these was only every 3 years though)

14. buckster75

buckster75 Member

A sincere thank you, John for your work to the Lord.
    I wish more were like you. BTW we are not as far apat on any of this as you might think. But I want you to consider if you are giving as Paul says from a cheerful heart (which I think you are) rather than because you read it in Lev.

15. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Amen to supporting the church. Things have gotten so bad at our church they are tinking about cutting the preachers pay.

16. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I am new here as you all might know. Does this go all night or does it slow down?

17. buckster75

buckster75 Member

John, also sorry if anything sounded that it was in a roundabout fashion. But I have found that my students think more in that way of discussion. I have noticed that many outside of Texas seem not to appreciate it as much.

18. buckster75

buckster75 Member

The other thing I may be curious about is that if you get your teaching from Lev.(the law) and you believe it to be saying that everyone is supposed to tithe then unlike what you stated above, you do have the authority to tell everyone they must tithe. Well at least your source of authority says that.(if that is what you believe).

19. buckster75

buckster75 Member

One more from another web site:

"I have a friend who is a Jewish Rabbi (he is not a Christian-Jewish Rabbi). He is the rabbi of a Jewish synagogue. I called him once and I asked him if his "church" people tithed at his synagogue. He actually laughed out loud over the phone. Have you ever been laughed at? I felt rather foolish. Then, he must have felt sorry for me because he stopped laughing. Then he said, "Rick-tithe? We Jews haven't tithed since the destruction of our temple nearly 2,000 year ago. Why on earth would you think that we tithed. Tithing was for and about the temple. No temple, no tithe." Well, it doesn't get much clearer than that."

20. faithtrustbelief

faithtrustbelief New Member

I hate to say some of you are wrong on this post, but you are wrong.

1) We are under grace, but we still are responsible for obeying the laws of the Old Testament. As Jesus stated in Matthew 5:17 "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill." Also if we are no longer under law then why did Jesus quote things from the OT so much?

2) Tithing is brought up in the NT. Jesus brings up the subject of tithing in Luke 18:11-12 as part of a parable. Luke 18:11-12 states "The Pharisee stood and prayed this with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice a week I give tithes of all that I possess." If tithing were not a biblical commandment of God, then why did Jesus mention it in this parable regardless of whether the one he talking about in here is wrong or not about his motive?

Whether we like it or not, tithing is a commandment of God. If all you are giving is 10% then you are just meeting the commandment of God. When you go into a new job, do you go in there to perform and just be average on all of your performance reviews? I think not. Well we are not to be average in just meeting the commandments of God we should exceed them...