1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by bruren777, Aug 1, 2005.

1. MsGuidedAngel

MsGuidedAngel Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you're able to and God Leads you to Tithe then, so be it!

I cannot because I am Severely Disabled with No Income since the year 2003 [​IMG]

2. buckster75

buckster75 Member

So faithtrustbelief where are you making your animal sacrifices. You must follow all the law not just part.

3. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Exactly MsGuidedAngel each should give as God leads through the spirit

4. faithtrustbelief

faithtrustbelief New Member

You know what he is stating there. To explain it in a better way Jesus came to upgrade the OT, not to get rid of it. However, there are some things like animal sacrifices you know he replaced.

Kind of a silly come back to ask that..Just trying to help with the debate. Positions like what most of you are taking is exactly why so many churches are struggling. Satan is laughing all the way when you state people do not have to tithe. Yes they do. When you tithe and follow his commandment regardless of your circumstance he will bless you.

For instance look at Mark 12:42-44 "And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. And he called unto him his disciples and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast more in, then all they which have cast into the treasury. For all thy did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living."

Plain and simple whether we want to believe it or not. It is a sin not to tithe. I don't care the circumstance we are to tithe. Positions like you are taking is a prime example of the world seeping slowly into God's church.

It is a shame...Forgive us all Jesus...

5. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Why wasn't it brought up at the council at Jer. or Paul had so many chances to speak of it and he did not. But Paul did say something about a cheerful giver . To tithe or follow any law involves compulsion. That is following because you know there is a penalty for not following.

6. buckster75

buckster75 Member

i don't think it was silly at all. The Bible says to fail to follow all the law is to be under the curse. That is what a law is. Obey and you are ok dis obay punishment . Follow it all or come over to Grace.

7. MsGuidedAngel

MsGuidedAngel Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank You!! [​IMG]

This is a Very Touchy subject Always for some.. I just don't let them get to me online anymore *tee hee* [​IMG]

Love n' Hugs, YSIC \o/

KristiAnn
    MsGuidedAngel

8. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Your welcome. I have fought this tradition of the legalist in every church I have been in. It is sad. But I have found that when you nail the preacher down it turns out he never really read it for himself. he was just teaching what he was taught. I choose grace, not law. The deacon in many churches are also to blame they tell the preacher what he is to preach on this topic. But I will stand for the truth.
    God Bless KristiAnn

9. buckster75

buckster75 Member

also, faithtrustbelief, what do you do with the other tithes OT taught. what about adding a fifth more if your tithe is converted to cash (I bet yours is) What will we do about these?

10. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Actually it is not the world seeping in but those legalist Paul warned of that is the threat. Just begin to answer where does tithing come from and what you do with the other tithes? stop teaching this leagalisic stuff Paul (God) says is wrong!! Is is no different that those false teaches Paul spoke of. They tried to make additions to grace and Paul says no.

11. faithtrustbelief says we must tithe according to his last post about Luke 18:11-12

Then Jesus rebuked the Pharisee in 14

"I tell you, this man ( the tax collector )went down to the house JUSTIFIED rather than the other ( Pharisee ) ; for everyone who exalts himself shall be humbled, but he who is humbled himslef shall be exalted".

So whats your point ?

The Pharisee were proud they lived by the law and were judgmental. What does that have to do with Tithing ? Nothing, please show me a verse in the New tesitment that says we MUST tithe.
    Bet you won't find one.

12. faithtrustbelief

rightfromwrong,

Read the last part of my post. the point I was trying to make was if we are not commanded to tithe then why did Jesus even bring it up in the parable.

buckster75

You are absolutely wrong in your stance and point. If you are not tihing your 10% of your first fruits every Sunday then you and whoever else does not do this is sinning against Jesus. Period. You can try to come up with things to cover it up, but the truth is the truth. You have presented no scriptural evidence to back your claim up. I have brought forth very credible points and most of all scriptures. I will leave you with one final piece of scripture in regards to the OT and NT.

2 Timothy 3:16 states "All scripture is given by the inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for INSTRUCTION, in righteousness."

Now notice "ALL SCRIPTURES" that means Old Testament as well as New Testament. If you are trying to nail the preacher about tithing then you are wrong. This legalist mentally you are speaking of is the truth. the truth hurts everyone when they hear it. I think you and everyone else that is agreeing with you are trying to make yourselves feel better and covering up your sins. I really feel bad for you and the church you attend that you are not truly committed to the church and the cause of that ministry.

All this is just the sign of the times as mentioned in 2 Timothy 4:3 "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears."

I am not going to talk about this subject anymore, but I really am concerned for you and others who have said they do not believe tithing is scriptural.

My brothers please realize you are committing a sin. I will pray for you.

13. faithtrustbelief you still are not making any sense :confused:

So what if Jesus brought it up in a parable ?
    He was trying to show how a person living UNDER the law and pride would not be exalted, than one who was humble.

Have you found a verse in the NEW TESTIMENT yet that shows we should tithe. Isn't that the point?

We are asked to give and with a cheerful heart. The Bible never says how much or when.

14. BM

BM New Member

I have a question, If you were preaching and doing other volenteer work every week at a Ministry and not getting paid, but had a home church that supported you some what, which would you give to?

15. Sounds like you need to ask the Lord that one.

16. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

In General I'd say you are right RFW....but I'd probably be inclined to give to both since they would both be ministries I believed in supporting.

Greg Sr.

17. Gregory Perry Sr.

To FaithTrustBelief....I'm a giver....NOT a "tither"...I personally believe that we owe our ALL to God not only in money but in time and talents as well.As New Testament Christians we are not called to be legalists or be under the law but rather to be faithful and good stewards of that which we possess by the Grace of God.Neither you nor anyone else can find one single verse of scripture(RIGHTLY divided and in "CONTEXT")that commands or suggests that New Testament Christians under GRACE should tithe.I used to be a tither...even to the point of occasionally writting rubber checks to try and maintain my tithing...you know...the old "be faithful,write the check,God will honor your desire to be faithful and make sure the money is there in time"....well...God doesn't honor rubber checks anymore than the bank does.Or how about...."tithe...even if you have to let your bills wait...God will bless you for it..." NOT!..The landlord and the power company don't play that game.My bible teaches that if a man doesn't meet the needs of his family he is WORSE THAN AN INFIDEL.Anyway,there is NO VERSE anywhere in the NT that teaches tithing OR commands us to do so_Once I saw what the OT actually taught about what a "tithe" is and what its purpose WAS I finally came to the truth....and that is that God owns it all.We should give and do it as liberally as possible "as every man purposeth in his heart".I give as often and as much as I possibly can as the Lord leads me.I give not only to my church but to other ministries and needs as the Lord directs and allows me to....and I do it cheerfully and thankfully and consider it a priviledge....but tithing it is NOT.If you'll PM me,if you are interested and teachable,I'll be happy to PM you back with some good,informative and balanced links to some solid Bible teaching on the subject.My own pastor and I disagree on this subject but he is a good man that I respect greatly.On this subject he is simply preaching what he was taught so I choose to overlook it.I pray that one day the Lord will open his eyes to the balanced truth on this subject as well.As for me...at least on this subject...for once in my Christian life I feel free and at peace instead of under more bondage.God bless you.

Greg Sr.

18. faithtrustbelief

No need to send me anything. I respect your opinion even though it is wrong. I know the truth, and know we are supposed to tithe our 10%. The fact that some of you are taking this stance just goes to further show the sign of the times. I did present some very valid scriptures that show tithing is a must. However, I respect each one of your views, even though I know they are wrong.

I agree with your Pastor in the stance he takes. I am also a Pastor.

I will pray for everyone.

I will speak no more on the subject.

19. buckster75

buckster75 Member

faithtrustbelief,

Would you just answer what you are doing with the other tithes and other points of law. you can't say Jesus did away or changed some things and then also quote that He said He did not come to do away with the law. Stop picking and choosing your points or law you want to follow. The Book says follow all points perfectly or you are wrong and under a curse. Or the other option is grace.

I'll take grace.

20. Gregory Perry Sr.

FTB....I am sincerely sorry you have such a closed mind.As I said before...I was a faithful "tither" as a young christian,but then when I was young I almost never questioned anything I heard from the pulpit.I was surprized in my later years to learn that even honest preachers can be in error on some things while it is also true some have less than honest motives.It is sad that the faith of many is so weak that thay must demand that 10% from the pulpit in order to keep that sacred church budget up to par.They stand up and threaten their congregations with the "judgement" of God if they don't follow the law of the "tithe".I've been beat up many times with Malachi 3:10(which wasn't even addressing the NT church)and acused of robbing God when I'm neither a Jew,nor a part of the nation of Israel.That is nothing more than BAD EXEGESIS.If preachers in the church age would trust God by FAITH to meet the needs of the local assembly then the issue of money would be a non-issue.Instead they want to ramrod thru these big expensive buildings and programs that I dare say God has nothing to do with.They neither make us more "spiritual" nor do they really add souls to the Kingdom.It's nothing more than spiritual pride(which is a far worse sin if you want to classify things)that is a stink in the nostrils of God I fear.I'll pray for you my pastor friend because I fear you have been mistaught as I was.This issue of the "tithe" today is far from the New Testament model of how money and goods were supposed to be handled.I'll still send you those links anytime you desire but I will not force them on you.I just pray that you will have a prayerful,objective,open mind about this....or anything else that is of biblical significance.The exception to this line of thinking would be,of course,the fundamentals of our faith,such as the Virgin Birth,the death,burial,and resurrection of our Lord,salvation by grace through faith,etc.On these we must agree that we MUST be dogmatic and firm.I pray you won't beat your people up over this.I'm praying for you brother.

Greg Sr.