1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing?????

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SAMPLEWOW, Nov 18, 2005.

1. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

:confused:ok here it is I am going to bible school full time and working about35 hours a week and can't get my bill's paid and tithe so I am forced to pick. Do I tithe and not pay my bills or pay my bills and not tithe?

2. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

This is a no brainer, obviously you cannot expect God's blessings and disobey him at the same time.

I can attest (with first hand experience) that God will take care of your needs. If you sincerely trust Him and do what you know to be right and biblical, God is duty bound to meet your needs.

I was a 31 year old married man with 2 children when I left a great job, new home, everything going my way situation, and went to Bible college. While I was passing through the fires of school I could not see what God was doing. I got through, never starved, never defaulted on my bills, and graduated. Fifteen years later I look back and see what God did to get me through. At the time I could not see it. God will bless faithfulness.

It is the principle of motivation: God always makes it profitable to do right and unprofitable to do wrong!

Do right till the stars fall! That is definitely not original with me! But ever so true. God bless your faithfulness.

3. cojosh

cojosh New Member

Tithe first. Trust me, God will pull you through. Give God an opportunity to reveal that He is able to supply your needs.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went to Bible college, worked 40 hours a week, tithed and paid all my bills. I did have to drop out one semester for surgery, but hey, that was in God's plan, too. Trust me, God will carry you through. No, I mean trust Him!! :D

5. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Also, don't forget to offer your sacrifices and make sure you don't wear clothing of two different fabrics...and don't forget to... I am not being a smartalec, I'm being facetious. :D Seriously, be a good steward, make sure your bills are legitamate needs. Not paying bills is a poor testimony, just ask anyone you owe money to.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Corinthians 9
    7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

7. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Tithe and trust.

The only way to reduce debt is to increase income or reduce expenses. The first option is typically not an option for most people, but the second is. Look to areas where you can trim expenses.

You will make it.

8. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

We are not under the law but are under grace.

Without knowing your financial circumstance...it would be hard to be dogmatic about what you should do. God knows your heart...and that is what matters most. I personally would pay my bills...but also give what I could. God doesn't " NEED " our money he wants our heart. If you don't pay your bills they will just get worse and like Artimaeus said you will be a bad witness...and I believe could cause you to have a cold heart.

I personally have never had this problem. So I may be wrong. I have known people though who were blessed even when they didn't thithe and God met their needs.

Sharon

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Tithing faithfully changes the heart. That change of heart brings financial responsibility and financial freedom. It's never let me down. I highly recommend it.

10. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

I AGREE !

11. Clean1

Clean1 New Member

Mal:3:8: Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings."
    Everything God created is his right? Including money. Mal:3:10,"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse (church), that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. "
    Do what God asks and he will bless you. God may be testing you on how you'll react. If you react the way he wants you to then you'll receive blessings. God gave you that money and he can just as easily take it away. God will always supply what you need. Phil:4:19,"But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus."
    God is always there for you... trust him.

12. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

That is old testament the law...we are under the new testament grace [​IMG]

If you did a study on that verse you would find it doesn't have to do with what most think it has to do with....check this out below !

http://www.letusreason.org/Wf34.htm

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, we're not under the law, but that doesn't mean we're to disregard the law. We need to ask ourselves, "what is being taught by that law, and how does it apply to us?".

BTW, even though we're not under the OT civil or rabbinic laws, we're still under the OT moral laws.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John I hope you are filled with and being led of the Holy Sprirt and are not merely living a "moral" life.

HankD

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I strive for both.

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good , however the Holy Spirit never changes as do our morals.

HankD

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Scriptural moral laws never change. There are other things that are considered moral issues that change from time to time, and place, but those are not matters of absolute moral law.

18. Clean1

Clean1 New Member

I'm just sticking by my convictions. Question: Say you get up sunday morning and there is a T.V. show that you really like that is on. Would you stay home and watch that T.V. show or go to church and worship God? It's the same way with bills and money. Your paying your bills before you pay God.

19. Clean1

Clean1 New Member

oh thought of something else... yes we are under the law of grace but that doesn't mean that we ignore the laws in the OT. The 10 commandments are in the OT but does that mean we don't have to abide by them? And what about all the stuff in Proverbs? Im just going by what the Bible says.

20. fatbacker

fatbacker New Member

If your going to bible school to learn about God then maybe God is trying to give you some schooling outside of college. If your going to school to be more knowledgeable about the bible then what a perfect way and time to take God at His word. If God says give a tenth and see that I won't fill your store houses then I would give to God first.

If you pay bills first and do not give God his tithe no He won't let you starve but you will never give yourself a chance to trust God where you need Him the most right now. If you tithe and give it to God you will be amazed at how God will put things and people in your path to get things done when they need to be done. It is the ultimate way to put aside our self reliance and depending soley on God for your provisions.
    If you are going to school to learn about God and His ways then I would say that class is definitely in session right now and giving the tithe will get you an A in His personal independent study class.