1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing?????

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SAMPLEWOW, Nov 18, 2005.

1. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok. I'm talking about some close friends that I am always sitting next to in church who have mentioned the "conviction" of tithing. They are close friends and they are genuinely serving God, and would put me to shame in other areas. I don't know what number they put on their checks, but I assume that they are at least putting 10% on. I will give the benefit of the doubt. I never even see the checks or envelopes going into the plate, so I assume they get it into the treasury somehow. I truly believe they are giving at least 10%. However, in our row, the plate is almost always completely empty, and when it gets to me, it is still empty. Based on what is just plain obvious, all I can tell is that somehow, they are generally "tithing," but I never see anything outside of it, for special needs collections. I never claimed to know how much their incomes are or what they put on their checks. If I am wrong about them, I truly apologize, but there are so many times when I notice that I am the only one putting something in (and it's usually at least $20 each time; this amounts to quite a bit more than a tithe for my salary). Whatever I put in, I always try to hide it anyway, so no one sees how much or how little it is. I just want to give cheerfully.

More unsubstantiated mantra. If Scripture is clear and the context is clear, please show me.

Denying what? A tradition? I came to my conclusions by studying Scripture that I would not have otherwise known.

I agree that Jesus told us to do our best and help the poor! Is the so-called "tithe" the only way this can be accomplished?

This is your logic.

Amen! I agree completely! Is 10% the most we have?

I never said people did not have to give. I said you should give cheerfully (which cannot essentially mean nothing, or it would not be giving, would it?), and here is the Scripture to support it:
    Or should it say...
    According to these Scriptures if someone gives cheerfully, God loves him. Can you argue with that? God loveth a cheerful giver. If you give with a cheerful heart, God loves you! Must there be math to be cheerful? The upper and lower bounds of giving are what can be done cheerfully. If you can cheerfully give 10% of your paycheck, GREAT! If you can cheerfully give under a different scheme, GREAT! Just don't tell people who are giving cheerfully that they are not right with God, because they fail to move a decimal point.

Double amen! Keep on preaching that! It all belongs to God, not just 10%.

2. I'm glad you agree tithing is required. 100% is required.

3. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    100% is not a tithe. Tithe = 10%. Tithing and giving are not synonymous terms.

4. You are right, the word tithe was crushed by Jesus. It should be called Hunthe - 100% to the church and clergy and poor.

5. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about let's call it giving? :D

6. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

People like Ares and I aren't trying to "rip people off" or play % games.....we are simply trying to hold forth what the Bible ACTUALLY does teach about money and the subject of tithing(and who it applies to).AresMan has done this distinctly well and I applaud his well-studied efforts.It is sad that so many are in bondage to the legal requirements of a "law" that in our day isn't even practiced correctly,nor does it apply to New Testament Christians in the Church Age.We should be practicing the liberal,cheerful GIVING taught in the New Testament taking care of the fatherless,the widows,and those less fortunate than ourselves.Liberal G I V I N G to our churches to sustain them and supporting those who minister to us is fine and scriptural as well.....but nowhere are we REQUIRED in scripture by the Lord in His Word to "legally" be required to give 10%....or else the "curse" of God is on you.That is a total MIS-APPLICATION of scripture.We belong to God...He owns us and all we possess.We should give cheerfully and willingly and as often as it is possible without shirking our families needs and our other responsibilities.We are to be good stewards of that which God provides us.God allows many of us to have nice things and comfortable homes....but we need to remember that we could be just as easily called on by our Lord to suffer.Many have in the past and were faithful unto death.We may eventually be called into the same.Money won't mean a thing then.Only F A I T H will.Brothers and Sisters...Give and do it often and liberally....but do it out of love for God and our Lord Jesus Christ and NOT because of some mis-applied legal requirement that has no bearing on the church of Jesus Christ in our day and dispensation.Don't let some legalist preacher beat you over the head with Malachi 3(which was addressing the nation of Israel)and try to make you feel guilty for not dropping your 10% into the offering plate.That's all I got time to say for now.Peace people!

Greg Sr.

7. Gregory Perry Sr., most of what you said is incorrect. One must tithe. ***offensive language deleted***
    Happy Thanksgiving.

[ November 25, 2005, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Frogman ]

8. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't you just love mantras?

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone full of cheerful giving and thankfulness.

[ November 25, 2005, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob ]

9. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Hummmm....sounds like somebody in the midwest believes in Salvation by grace...plus certain works of the law....thanks for sharing the complete quote AresMan.......anyway...I'm still waiting for anybody on here to prove us wrong on this subject using ANY scripture quoted in CONTEXT and according to proper dispensational reference.So far I haven't seen that on any thread on the Baptist Board that has involved any discussion on the subject of tithing.I'm just going to keep on trying to give according to GRACE...."as every man purposeth in his own heart" between myself and my Lord.It really isn't anybody elses business except His.God has been very good to me....and I'm trying to be faithful AND obedient to Him.His will is all that matters.
    God bless all of ya'll(yes..I'm from the south..lol)and happy Thanksgiving!!
    Greg Sr.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a public warning to churchmontana - I am ashamed to be your neighbor. I publically rebuke you and your post. I will assume you will NEVER post like that again or you will find yourself on the outside looking in.

Happy Thanksgiving. :mad:

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No way to shut down a thread quicker.

Let's move on folks. Nothing to see here. Keep moving (to another topic)