1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Tithing

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by awaken, Sep 13, 2012.

1. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder do you really believe the above underlined? The reason I ask is that to preach this you would be placing the hearers back under the Law. We do need to give but blessings are not held back from His own because they didn't.

I don't give all I give to the church, and I'm blessed beyond measure. I give as I'm directed to give by God not some preacher telling me I'm robbing God because I didn't tithe. I have given 10% though not to follow some Law or to get more back than I gave. I don't give at all if I can't do it with a cheerful heart. Telling me that I have to tithe steals the Joy of giving from me

The name it and claim it guys are always accusing there congration of Robbing God. However they over look the fact that they them selves wouldn't be in such dire need if they tithed them selves.

My Bible says we are no longer under the Law.
    Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace
    MB

2. awaken

awaken Active Member

You must not have read my other post..but I will say in a nutshell what I believe and why...

Paul urged them to give to the needy, and he said that he was not commanding them in their giving, and he gave them his advice concerning their giving, and so on. Nowhere are Christians ever commanded to tithe or to give a certain amount or to give a certain percentage or to use a certain percentage as a starting point for their giving. Instead, Christians are urged to excel in this grace of giving (2 Corinthians 8:7) by giving beyond what we think we can give, with an attitude of "eager willingness" and "overflowing joy." However, we're not meant to give foolishly to the point where it makes us "hard pressed" and unable to meet our needs (2 Corinthians 8:13). We're meant to give willingly, according to our means (2 Corinthians 8:11-12). For example, if you earn less money than another person does then you shouldn't feel bad about not giving as much as that other person because you don't have as much as that person. You should give willingly based on what you do have, not based on what you don't have (2 Corinthians 8:12).

I see that Paul used principles of psychology to encourage the churches to give willingly, generously, and unselfishly. Notice that this psychological urging would not be needed if Christians are required to pay tithes. We never see Paul reminding the churches of any tithing commandments, and we never see Paul chastising any churches for not tithing, and we never see Paul telling the churches to give offerings beyond their tithes, and we never see Paul telling the churches to use 10% as a starting point for their giving, and so on. We never see any of these concepts anywhere in the New Testament after the cross, yet these concepts are taught in most churches today.

Paul used principles of psychology to urge Christians to give generously, rather than chastising them for breaking any "tithing" or "firstfruits" commandments, because there are no such commandments anywhere in the New Testament after the cross.

I will add that I do give generously to my church! With a joyful heart! But not as a command or law...but out of thanksgiving for what He has done!

#42 awaken, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2012
  3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praise God. Which is exactly my point as well.
    MB

4. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Actually, the Bible reveals that more had money than what many realize. Exodus 30 reveals that a half shekel sanctuary tax was required by all Israelites 20 years old and up. They were required to give this sanctuary tax regardless if they were rich or poor. So it is clear that even the poor had money.

5. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I would go ever farther than some, and say that there is not even a standard baseline single tithe of income in the OT, much less the NT... Israelites had several tithes, which depending on the year, could sometimes rise to 20 or 30%...and as others have said, sometimes they actually ate their own tithe...So there's really no way build a logical case for a simple tithe even from the OT, much less the NT.

In the NT church, the examples we have are not a tithe at all:
    -Acts 2: They sold thier possessions and shared with any who had need (not all their possessions, because we know some of the had houses where churches met...but they sold their own possessions to meet the needs of others.----Will you Sell your TV and Ipad and give the money to a poorer family in your church so they can buy their kids some new clothes?
    -Ananias & Saphaira: apparently it was somewhat common (though not required) to sell land and give the money to Church.)
    -Churches who were poor themselves had collections so they could give money to another church.

I don't know that I have seen this exactly...though I did know a couple who sold a 300,000 - 400,000 house and immediately wrote a tithe check to the church...even though they probably already tithed on the money they bought the house with.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Let's see here.
    I Corinthians 16:2-3
    It seems clear to me that Paul was referring to the Sunday worship gatherings, and putting the money into the common treasury.

The key here for this discussion is "as God has prospered," which clearly is proportional giving. The more you prosper, the more you give.

The obvious question is "what proportion?" Or, to put it another way, what percentage? Is it my choice as to what percentage? Is there some Biblical help for deciding what percentage?

Why, uh, yes. From Jesus himself. Matthew 23:44. Ten per cent.

7. Steadfast Fred

1 Corinthians 16:2 is not about tithes. It is not even about a weekly offering for the Church the offering is being taken in... it is an offering for saints of another location.

Those tithes Jesus said should be collected in Matthew 23 were not tithes of money. They were garden tithes.

Still haven't proved a monetary tithe.

8. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Tithing DOES NOT EXIST for the New covenant christian.

The system of giving under the New covenant is FREE WILL GIVING...period.

9. Steadfast Fred

Exactly, Alive in Christ!

We are not commanded to tithe.

10. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Yes Amen!!

I am reading that book right now...about 1/2 way through it...EXCELLENT BOOK and I highly recommend it! Here is a link where it can be obtained:

Freedom to Give: The Biblical Truth About Tithing! - Home

and Aresman DID NOT ask me to do this! Our freedom in the Grace of God is one of the most valuable things we possess in this life after our salvation!

Bro.Greg:type:

11. Gregory Perry Sr.

Fred...you said....

Fred...I've been reading through this thread and I do appreciate your comments and find myself pretty much in agreement with what I have seen you say.....BUT.....can you give me some scriptural reference or background for the above statement? Not saying I disagree but I've always believed that the power and application (and practice) of the OT Law was done for Believers in the New Testament dispensation of Grace after Christ was resurrected. Can you clarify? Thanks. If that is covered in Aresman's book then I haven't gotten to that part yet:smilewinkgrin:.

Bro.Greg

12. Gregory Perry Sr.

Tom..A Few Things To Note....

Tom..A few things to note here.... #1.....The Lord Jesus was jewish and He was talking to a Jewish audience (whom He was, in fact, rebuking).

&

#2.....This was occurring PRIOR to His Death, Burial, and Resurrection when the OT law was still in effect.

Just thought it might be appropriate to point that out.

Bro.Greg:saint:

13. Steadfast Fred

Gregory,

Not one of the Apostles were farmers or herders. Because of this, they were not required by Law to tithe.

Not even before the resurrection of our Lord were the Apostles tithing, for they had nothing that was titheable.

14. Gregory Perry Sr.

Yes...

OTer...Both yours and John of Japan's main point (in my opinion) is that giving is ALL ABOUT having a heart that is 100% surrendered to the Lordship of Christ. When He owns ALL of our lives and we can truly be called His bondservant then all the arguing becomes pretty irrelevant...in my opinion. I just pray that that may one day be true of myself, my wife, my children and family and all those I know. God bless you guys! Thank God for His love and His grace.

#54 Gregory Perry Sr., Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012
  15. Gregory Perry Sr.

Context,Context,Context...

Matthew Chapter 23.....The ENTIRE chapter speaks (in context) to an entirely Jewish audience that is STILL UNDER THE O.T.Law. What He says to them may not necessarily apply to believers under grace....! BUT that is not to say that there are not things of value to be learned by all believers from passages such as this. The Word of God ALWAYS has value for us. That does not always mean they can be used as prooftexts for every doctrine that we are trying to oppose/defend. Sometimes the lessons and truths are deeper than what seems to be on the surface...amen?

#55 Gregory Perry Sr., Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012
  16. Gregory Perry Sr.

Alrighty then...!

Good point Fred...I forgot that the tithers in the OT were the landowners or farmers.

Bro.Greg:thumbsup:

17. Frank Leyland

Frank Leyland New Member
    Site Supporter

Tithing was only for The Old Testament, and to free the Levites up for their appointed Temple tasks, i.e. Priests.

The Law does not apply at all to the Gentile world - a new principle was invoked then, as it is for now: "Giving in Love".

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL. I love discussions about the tithe. For the most part, both sides are arguing about how little each can give and still be considered moral.

The tithe is a shadow of the law, and the only ones exempted from the tithe were the Levites. No one was exempted based on the ownership of land. The calculation was based on increase or abundance.

But the there was a widow who gave two pennies out of her need, and that was the giving that was commended and memorialized by Christ.

19. Joseph shall add

I have read a whole lot in here about tithing. But not much that would be profitable. So your faith so little in God that you do not know God blesses them that support his work. Tithing is not mandatory. But one must check his heart to see why he or she would not want to support the work of God. Jesus in the feeding of the 5000 plus men and woman gave you a example of what happens when you lend unto the Lord he lifts up you offering and blesses it and returns it with a increase. We as Christians have be adopted into the Jewish Line which is the line that Christ came out of. We are not subjects of the law. But tithing came before the law. That system is still in effect. The picture shown in the new testament give us the example of Ananias and his wife Sapphira as a warning. They conspired to defraud God, and God called them on it. God takes tithing and offerings very serious. It was his spirit that Judges Ananias and Sapphira. And God changes not.

20. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As with the law, Jesus raised the bar on tithing. He essentially said Christians owe everything they have to the Lord. He didn't expect this literally, feeding and housing your family and meeting your needs are certainly correct. But look at His statement to the rich young ruler (Luke 18). Money not Jesus was and would always be the lord of his life. Jesus must be the Lord of our lives as Christians and therefore following Him and giving to His Church is significant. The early Christians shared everything.

Acts 2:42 And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. 43 And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. 44 And all who believed were together and had all things in common. 45 And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. 46 And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.

Jesus praised the widow who even though she gave just a mite it was everything she had. My conclusion is we're no longer under the law to tithe but giving to the church and helping the needy are things genuine Christians want to do.