1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TNIV Compared With NASBU

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Mar 10, 2009.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

There are places the ESV "tracks" the NASB. Places where the ESV and TNIV are equivalent. Doesn't make a good translation bad nor a poor one better. It just is what it is. Guilt or innocence by association is still fallacy.

I'm not saying that maybe some didn't throw the TNIV under the bus before they ever looked at it. No doubt a scant few did, relatively speaking.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

The reason that I compared the TNIV to the NASBU is because the latter is respected as a conservative translation. The TNIV on the other hand is perceived by many as liberal. I wanted to set the record straight. I will continue to do so.

Hmm, "a scant few did"? I beg your pardon?! Many evangelicals threw the TNIV under the bus because of the intemperate statements that issued forth from the likes of Grudem, Dobson and World Magazine. Only in the last year or so have some acknowledged that they were hoodwinked by the lies and distortions and have now embraced the TNIV as a faithful and conservative Bible translation.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't think comparing the TNIV to the NASB favorably gives more creedance to the TNIV any more than I think finding comparisons between the TNIV and a horrible translation would make the TNIV faulty. The standard is the original mss, not another translation. That said, I see what you're trying to do.
    I reject this. I don't know that many who rejected the TNIV because Dr. Grudem said so. As I have repeatedly maintained, those I know in the scholarly world and in the pastoral community had other issues with the TNIV. Again, I know you don't believe this and you tend to intimate that somehow Colorado Springs is the evangelical vatican. :smilewinkgrin: I just happen to disagree.

Relatively speaking, those who threw the TNIV in the trash out of prejudice are a scant minority, and some friends of mine who are ardent TNIV supporters are in complete agreement with me.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. The NASBU is considered a faithful and conservative translation. It's considered very reliable. If the TNIV matches up with it in a number of places then much of the negative press about the TNIV will be demonstrated as lies.

Well you must not get around much. Grudem's tactics have influenced many in the evangelical world. He has been especially influential on this issue in the Reformed community. Have you ever witnessed the pile-ons on the Puritanboard for instance?

I don't recall saying much if anything about the CSG. You're making things up now.

The reality is just the opposite of your view. You just don't know what you are talking about here.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I will.

Acts 20:30 : and from among your own selves will arise adult males speaking twisted things

Romans

1:18 : For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of adult males

1:23 : and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal adult males

2:3 : Do you suppose, O adult male

4:8 : blessed is the adult male

5:18 : Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all adult males,

9:20 : But who are you, O adult male

14:18 : Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by adult males.

Obviously the intent of these passages is inclusive of males and females -- they are generic references. You shouldn't have a problem with that.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I think it doesn't do harm to the TNIV case, but it's no silver bullet either, just the same as you couldn't bury the TNIV if it read similarly to the KJV, the NWT, etc. It's a two-edged sword...literally :)
    I get around quite a bit, thank you. It would probably surprise you if I started name dropping. Some very prominent names on the TNIV side are very good friends. Then again, it probably wouldn't, nor should it. I care not.

In ministerial circles, ETS, SBL, or EHS, I can't think of a single soul that has been swayed because Grudem has an opinion. Can you prove that Grudem's writings about the TNIV has caused a backlash against the TNIV?

Now, if you wish to state that the ESV's registry of a Reformed who's who on its translation team and advisory committee has influenced the spread of the ESV in the Reformed world, I will not quibble with that one bit. I just hate to see Piper, Grudem, et.al. get absolutely pilloried (and that's a nice term) by those on the ardent TNIV side just because of their opinions. It's theological McCarthyism, and I don't like it, no matter who the recipients or the spreaders are.

And you're basing your argument on quotes from the PuritanBoard? what next? Basing your view of all Baptists just because of some here? Come on. Too many people are stuck at their keyboard, flailing away in the blogosphere and boards, and not involved in the scholarly/pastoral community.
    I keep forgetting: Reality=Rippon's opinion. :) I just happen to think reality could be something else. I know, I should be ashamed at my gall :laugh:

Interestingly, I heard Grudem give a strong critique of some of the translation choices of the NASB at a conference once. Of course, those who know him know he's a big fan of the RSV. That was the basis for his Systematic Theology though he included end-of-chapter/book references for NASB and the NIV.

#26 TomVols, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2009
  7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are denying the obvious. Look at the platform Grudem has been given for more than a decade in denouncing the TNIV. (Yes, even before it was released). He has aired his intemperate gripes freely on Dobson's radio program with no one on the TNIV side to counter his claims. Tens of thousands (if not more) have certainly been swayed by his very public proclamations.

Their opinions have held a lot of weight with the largely naive Chrstian public. These men, and Grudem in particular, have villified the TNIV from the get-go. (And the reputations of the translation team in the process.)

No one on the TNIV has cast doubt on the theological soundness of the NASBU, ESV NKJ etc. However, jst look at all the lies which have been spread about the TNIV saying it's a liberal perversion -- that it caters to PC -- that it has caved to feminist concerns and so forth.

No, I am not basing my argument on that alone. However, it's a good indicator.

I have read a number of the TNIV bashings over the years. I have seen blogs devoted to blasting the TNIV. I have read comments from the readers. I know I have a handle on what a lot of the Christian public thinks on the matter.

I'll let it slide this time.

Somehow I don't think his remarks regarding the NASBU would have been nearly as severe and ill-founded as his constant anti-TNIV rants.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I just did a search at FoF. Grudem has appeared on there twice total. While he was alone, he has debated Dr. Strauss, et.al., on the TNIV (as did Mounce, btw). ETS has had one. Others have, too. The idea that Dr. Grudem has gone around unchecked is not truthful. I don't believe he's had unfettered FoF time, either. Dobson obviously wanted one side, so he didn't have Grudem. That's his right, just like it's the right of those on the pro-TNIV side to only have their view represented. Now, if you want to argue that James Dobson is no textual scholar, feel free. I'll join you.

And yeah, I'm sure I can find lots of quotes about the TNIV by Grudem before it ever even existed :laugh:
    This is entirely your opinion. To make it anything higher is fallacious.

Fallacious for two reasons. One, you poison the well of the recipient. So only naive people believe these men? Second, you cannot empirically verifiy the extent of how much effect they've had, or at least, you have failed to do so to this point.
    I haven't read everything by every translator/advisor on the TNIV. I do know I've read much from TNIV advocates and had convos with them who have made decrying the ESV their life's work, and some of that has been to question theological foundations. (Most popular was it's a "baby-sprinkler's Bible." More than one told me they were going to have an ESV burning party. The recent addition of Mounce to the CBT has been attributed by them to the fact that he's bowed to the Shibboleth and is now on the Zondervan payroll. This is all ancedotal and should be seen as such, just as your ancedotal evidence should.
    And again, the idea that only "lies" have been distributed about the TNIV fails to take into consideration that some may have legitimate translational issues. When you start with your conclusion in mind, everything fits that.

I just disagree with you that any negative word or criticism against the TNIV is based out of some sinister thing, and that you reject the notion that some could be evaluating based on legitimate translational issues for the good of the translation itself, if not the greater Kingdom.

That said, no one can deny that some out there have stated what you assert. Here I blame the publishers. They should've been able to refute this. They never did, nor do I think they adequately tried. You may not like to hear this, but the biggest enemy the TNIV had was its publisher.
    This is faulty. I no more base what I read on PB as being normative for the Reformed community than what I watch on BET as being indicative of African Americans, or on ESPN.com as being indicative of sports fans. There is no one to one correlation.
    Have you attended ETS? EHS? SBL? Have you been with faculty, professors, ministerial groups? I sat with some last week at a major seminary, one or two of whom are major TNIV proponents. Their take is not yours. Forgive me, my friend, but I just can't accept ("I've read the blogs and message boards so I'm an expert") line. This is no more true than listening to Rush Limbaugh or America Left makes one a public policy or political science expert. Is information garnered? Sure. How deep, broad, applicable, and verifiable is that information? Therein the rub lies (like my awkward ESV type wording, there?) :laugh: Seriously. Let's go back to my post in the other thread. I asked how many bb members who were going to be at ETS and/or SBL would take up Moo on his invite, or who also got the letter. No responses. So therefore, no Baptist is a member of ETS/SBL, right? Using your logic, that's right. However, in reality this is not the case.

Have you heard them? How do you know?

Whew. Thanks :thumbsup:

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many within the evangelical Church are naive. They follow what the big names say regardless if the claims are false. They trust, which is good. But unwarranted trust is misplaced.

Yes, I can't empirically verify. I just have my ear to the ground.

No, I don't think I have said "only lies have told about the TNIV." But surely the great majority of criticism has fallen into that category.

No, Grudem, Dobson, Ryken, Piper, Bayly and World magazine have been among the biggest enemies of the TNIV.

And I said it was an indicator -- not the whole ball of wax.

I didn't say, or imply that I was an expert. You do some creative editing.

No, I didn't hear about them. But believe me -- if he had used the same kind of inflammatory rhetoric as he has employed against the TNIV it would have made headlines. It must have been rather tame crticism.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said this back on post #23 and I addressed it before, but I want to add something.

First of all, you're not going to find much correlation between the TNIV and a horrible translation (unless you think the NET Bible, ISV and HCSB are horrible translations).

I think that by showing favorable comparisons between the NASBU and the TNIV is instructive. A lot of people have already made up their minds that the TNIV is a horrible translation and couldn't possibily bear any resemblance to the solid and true NASBU. Well, I'm just issuing a wake-up call.

Also, for those who don't necessarily think it's a liberal version these folks would certainly think it's a functionally equivalent translation. If that's the case, then why does it line up much of the time with the more formal-equivalent NASBU? Could it be that what people have been fed all along is junk? Yes, the misinformation was just that -- junk.

I'm here to straighten-things out in my little corner of the Evangelical world.

11. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

I see that Rippon is trying to do with a comparison to the NASB, which is favored by Greek students and is very conservative.

When I sit down to do some Greek studies, I have an NASB on the desk along side. So I see what your doing. People are not seeing the bulk of the translation quality because of translation choices in certain areas though. Mainly the gender neutral renderings. Which by what I have read is why Zondervan is scraping it.

If Zondervan can keep the literalness of the TNIV with the readability and smoothness of the NIV in the next edition, they will have a winner on their hands.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, that's not why. If anything the oft-criticised inclusive renderings in the TNIV will be retained rather than the gender-inaccurate wording of the old NIV.

The new NIV will have to be more readable than the old NIV; more than the current TNIV too.

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I know. The TNIV is perfect :smilewinkgrin:
    I think they could use some improvement, esp the HCSB.
    If you're arguing that the TNIV is something other than a non-formal or EL,W/W translation, then you're even disagreeing with the TNIV translators. http://www.biblica.com/bibles/tniv/balanced.php As has been well established, it's hard to put translations into hard and fast categories. The NLT is quite literal in places. The KJV and NASB are quite DE in spots. That still does not mitigate against the overarching translation philosophy.
    I don't doubt that there's ignorance about the TNIV, nor do I deny that some would have presuppositions that no amount of facts will sway. I just maintain that it's fallacy to assume all opposition consists of such. And I still maintain that the best way to prove the worth of the TNIV is to compare to the mss, not necessarily another translation, as interesting as those comparisons are (and perhaps useful on some base level).
    I could not agree more.
    We've been round this many times. Not going backwards.
    Rippon remains on message! :tongue3: The publisher could've responded better if they wanted to. They rolled over, raised the white flag, and cowered in the fetal position. Just my opinion - and shared by many on the pro TNIV side.
    I'd recommend listening a little more broadly. Getting one-sided opinions is never a good thing. Breadth of exposure only strengthens people's views and ability to have them.
    The former is true, but you have intimated the latter in my assessment.
    Well, to ask about it's tameness or rigidity is asking the wrong question. I think it goes to the broader point: there are other translations that have been critiqued, perhaps for the same reasons the TNIV has been. Problem is, the TNIV has gotten ALL the publicity on ALL sides. An undue amount of attention has been paid on both sides without the resulting constructive work could've happened. At a Q&A early on in this matter, a staunch critic of the TNIV said that the goal was not the destruction of the TNIV, but rather that light be shone and heat be dissipated. Regrettably, his wish did not come true, and its not just the sole fault of any one person or group that this is so. The one thing I hoped would come out of all this is that we'd have a greater respect for translation process and textual criticism. I don't know if that goal is being achieved on any side. The internet is filled with "nah-nah-nah-nah-boo-boo" stuff. While this is minority and does not reflect the scholarly community, it's still sad.

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

You think so?

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The above was said in response to my very reasonable idea;"You're not going to find much correlation between the TNIV and a horrible translation."

Why the sarcasm? Are you going to find much correlation between the ESV and a horrible translation?!

That's not the point at all. The TNIV and HCSB, NET Bible and ISV all have a lot in common.

I don't even know what you mean by those various initials.

The TNIV is a mediating translation between formal and functionally-equivalent. It leans more toward the F-E camp. It's also known as a modified-literal translation. It's not very different in actual philosophy (of course the actual is different than the stated philosophy in the Preface of the ESV)than the ESV.

I have said the same thing for years. But John Piper insists on calling the NIV a paraphrase. Not that it paraphrases at times -- but that it is a paraphrase! That's just plain stupid on his part.

You like to frame things in absolute terms. I did not say that all criticism of the TNIV is invalid -- only those suffering from SSS )sinfully silly syndrome).

I have listened in a broad-based way. But you disbelieve me.

I will say it again. Any criticism that Grudem has made of the NASBU would be tame compared to his nonsensical rants against the TNIV. It would have made headlines. I amquite sure that he endorses the NASBU as a legitimate translation -- but not so the TNIV. That is a big difference, and it is shameful on his part.

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

You could likely find correlation between any translation and a good one or horrible one in spots. That's my thesis, to which you seem to disagree. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think he misspoke as well. No question the NIV/TNIV paraphrases. But to call one or the other or both a paraphrase is not accurate.
    Sigh. Again, not going backwards here.
    Interesting you can say this without evaluating the evidence :smilewinkgrin:

I'd love to hear you further on how the NIV/TNIV can/should improve readibility.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not talking about spots. I'm saying there is a correlation between the NASBU and the TNIV. There is a close similarity -- an affinity. You will not be able to find such a high degree of correlation between the NASBU and the CEV for instance.

Consider yourself corrected. Correlation is not spotty -- it's more pervasive.

He did not merely misspeak. It was not a misunderstanding. He deliberately misrepresents the NIV/TNIV in that way -- on a regular basis.

His fav -- the ESV does a lot of paraphrasing by the way. It's a secret, so don't tell anyone.

Tom : "I just maintain it's a fallacy to assume all opposition consists of such."
    Rip : "I did not say that all criticism of the TNIV was invalid."
    Tom : 'Sigh. Again, not going backwards here."

Please. Stop commenting on something, then asking my take on it -- only to expect me to drop it after I address it.

Interestingly true. If Grudem would have said anything outrageous about the NASBU as he has against the TNIV over the past 12 years -- it would been prominently featured in World magazine.

He has never maligned the NASBU as he has the TNIV. Besides the ESV and NASBU are closely related translations. To besmirch it would be like shooting himself in the foot.

I will not give specific examples now. But a few years ago I submitted a couple hundred suggestions for improvement in the New Testament. Others came up with hundreds of suggestions for improvement for the Old Testament.

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I give up...I just give up. I'm getting off the merry go round. I hope we can break substantive ground elsewhere. Towards that end.....

I'd be curious to see some if you have time. I've heard few arguments relative to this for the TNIV (though I've felt there could be rome for improvement to be more accurate yet readable), so I'd love to see some of yours relative to the mss.

19. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

Now lets go get some ice cream at Marble Slab and whine about that blocked field goal last Saturday :laugh:

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Be more than happy to join you. Although, not much to whine about. Now, if you want to join me in criticizing the poor clock mgmt by our coach, the stupidity that went into his not running a play for 48 seconds to set up a FG attempt that produced a miss and a block earlier......:laugh:

At any rate, I'll buy. Meet you at Turkey Creek :thumbs: