1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TNIV/KJV In Psalms

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is truly a TERRIBLE thread.
    (Using the Anglican Version definition, of course :saint: ).

Language evolves and as I translate God's Words (Hebrew/Greek) for this Sunday's sermon, I definitely opt toward definitions that are the most common and understandable by people today.

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But of course ya do, Dr. Bob. I reckon some KJVOs forget that the KJV was written as much as possible in the English of its day, with spellings & punctuation up to date.

While in the USN some 40 years ago, I had the chance to go out on the town(town of Tokyo) with some British swabbies. Their "sailor talk" was quite different from ours. The cussing was about the same. And I understand that quite a bit of US sailor terminology came from the Royal Navy. Guess the different nations' English has 'evolved' in slightly-different directions since the American Revolution. The Aussies' English is different from both ours & that of the British. But all in all we understand each other mosta the time!

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually the KJV was a bit dated and slighly archaic-sounding in 1611.The same reason why many like the KJV today is why some liked the KJV then --because it sounds foreign and different -- so that somehow made it seem more Bible-like.Many are sentemental traditionalists.