1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tniv

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Nicholas25, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

I went to Lifeway and was told they do not carry the TNIV. I thought I remembered reading something about that. I then went and bought one and Books a Million. I have enjoyed reading/studying it. I don't see what the big fuss is about. It's pretty much the same as other "modern" Bible versions.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We Can Never Have Enough TNIV Threads.Right?

There was a big fuss over nothing and it still continues, albeit a bit muted these days.

Some slanderous things were said about the translation,translators and those who appreciate the TNIV.You'll still see some folks on the BB echoing Dobson,Grudem,Ryken &co.

When it comes down to it a lot of hyprocrisy is evident in their charges.Most conservative Evangelicals like the HCSB,NET Bible and NLTse.All three employ a lot of things in their translations that the TNIV has.Even the olde-speak ESV has a lot of commonality with Today's New International Version in other areas.

You apparently like the HCSB.Though I prefer the TNIV to it -- there is not a major distinction between the two -- minor degrees of difference at most.One day we all laugh about the stupidity of the whole "controversy".But there are still some sore spots at this stage.

Among other things -- I wish people would just buy a copy of the TNIV and see for themselves.They shouldn't just go by what their favorite evangelical leaders (most of whom aren't Bible scholars anyway)have said.They don't want to examine things for themselves.(Acts 17:11 might apply here).They need to buy a copy of the TNIV and not just look at the anti-TNIV websites for honest information.

Nicholas,I'm glad you're enjoying it.Keep studying God's Word.

3. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

In my TNIV John 3:16-21 are not in red. All of my other Bibles have these verses as the words of Christ. Does anyone know why the TNIV does not? Thanks.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the TNIV preface, the translators left it to the publisher to decide which words were Christ's.

5. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a funny thought that ran through my head, technically speaking all the words in the bible belong to Jesus.... He is God and the bible is God inspired. I say we start printing the whole thing in red. :)

The 'Tniv debates' is a lot of heat with very little light. Its no better or worse that the translations mentioned by Rippon.
    I own a copy and have read a few books. I am certain someone could (and has) found the gospel in it, that's the true measure of any translation, IMO anyway.

6. Chessic

Chessic New Member

Nicholas, I just picked up a copy of the TNIV that has the same verses not in red.

As far as I know, there is no controversy about whether those verses were in early manuscripts, so I think it is probably a publishing or printing error. My copy is a TNIV Study Bible in paperback. I have not checked other editions.