1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured To be consistently "Biblical"

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Michael Wrenn, Mar 19, 2012.

1. mandym

mandym New Member

If anyone has insisted that you are without a genuine relationship with the on true and living God then that was inappropriate. But when one says your view is heretical or unorthodox it is the exact same thing as your expression of doctrines you disagree with.

#21 mandym, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2012
  2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: What an absolute farse. :rolleyes:

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

This notion that if one disagrees with another over doctrine that somehow that is to be equated on an equal level as calling another a heretic or their doctrines heresy, or calling one a blasphemer or their beliefs as blasphemy, is nothing short of guilty parties trying to somehow cover for their own inept, unwise, and personal attacks on others. I would not buy that fallacious notion in a million years.

One can disagree over doctrine with others without using or even thinking any such notions as those mentioned above. Those who claim they are equivalent in nature are fooling no one but themselves.

4. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: What huge difference? A heretic would be classified as one holding heretic views. If one believes another holds heretical views in their opinion, to that one such a one would be a heretic. Who do you think you are fooling other than yourself?

5. mandym

mandym New Member

UH, no...a heretic is one who is lost. A view that is heretical is one that is extreme and with no ounce of truth. Just because one has a heretical view does not make them a heretic.

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Well, personally I am tired of this. Anyone may think what they will about me and post what they will. I won't respond in kind. God will sort it out, and I am content to let Him.

7. Heavenly Pilgrim

Mandym, your ignorance of the use of words is showing.

8. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I thought a heretic was
    However I prefer Thomas Aquinas definition better

#28 Thinkingstuff, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2012
  9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

I absolutely agree.
    But this attempt at fooling the counter-party takes on a more subtle, more venomous and slanderous character when the accuser of his brethren starts his Love- and Grace-only machine-gun rattling, and in one volley cuts his opponent into stinking char-coaled shreds.

It's the OLDEST trick out; that of utter hate in love's apparel and demeanor.

10. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: An interesting way to illustrate your point. :laugh:

#30 Heavenly Pilgrim, Mar 21, 2012
  11. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Oh, yes, they are just concerned for my soul. But that doesn't mask the hatred and contempt with which they express this feigned concern.

They are not my brothers, just as a pit viper is not my brother.

12. Heavenly Pilgrim

Maybe I am a bit naive, but I would like to believe that some are simply blinded as to the truth in some areas, and that God has sent them to me to teach me how to love others even when we disagree. :thumbs:

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

One who holds to certain unorthodox and unbiblical beliefs does not, by definition make them a heretic. Perhaps heresy is a strong word, and the word "unbiblical" ought to be used more frequently. But just as an example what would you do with a post or with a believer who believe the following. It is a quote from another thread.
    These are serious doctrines that are being attacked. IMO, it is not just unbiblical, but it is heretical.

14. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: There is wisdom in what you are saying. It is a strong word, and is a word that has enflamed the passions of men to do unreasonable things in the past, and well could in the future. I for one will not use those terms, even when I read posts like you set forth. Certainly I do not agree with the poster referred to, but neither will I label such a one or such doctrines on a board such as this as a heretic, heresy, blasphemer or blasphemy. Unbiblical? Absolutely. Not in accordance to truth? Absolutely.

If in fact a belief is clearly held by even a cult or false religion, I might make mention of the connection if it is absolutely within reason to do so, but I would try to be clear not to suggest that a believer is one in the same with those I make reference to in regard to a certain belief or doctrine. Even true believers may in fact be unduly influenced by heathen culture/beliefs at times. I would count Augustine in that category. I have never once said he was a heretic, or outside of the faith. I do believe he was indeed wrong in some of his stated positions and wrong in his treatment of those that questioned his beliefs, but even then I will leave him to His Master to be judged, especially on this board.

Yes the doctrines you point out are indeed serious. Just the same, on a discussion board, to promote love on towards another as much as lieth within us, your thoughts to curtail the use of stronger terms is still wisdom. Civil discussion between those we know full well disagree with us demands caution and kindness to be in order as much as lieth within us and within the guidelines of this forum.

I have and will continue to use caution not to go beyond those softer means of spoken sentiment. Others would do well to heed your advice. You as the moderator can and should set the tone in this matter for all to follow. Again, I like what I hear you saying.:thumbs: Lead on!

#34 Heavenly Pilgrim, Mar 21, 2012
  15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What are the criteria and or credentials to become a heretic?

Edited ... Ah, never mind ...

#35 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012
  16. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

To have different beliefs from the mob you're in the middle of.

17. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I hate to tell you this, BROTHER, but unless you truly believe these people on this board are not believers, they ARE YOUR BROTHERS, and you will be eternally happy sharing a heavenly home with them...Cheers!

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Icon and I have buried the hatchet -- and not in each other. :) And things are better between me and some others, too.

So, let's move on, shall we?

19. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    At least you're being called brother. That means you're a Christian and not so off as to be heretical because then you wouldn't even be that.

20. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Yes, that's true.