1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

to leave my church or not

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by chipsgirl, Dec 10, 2004.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Soulman, I believe Trotter was warning against the KJVO MYTH and not against the KJV. 'Tis a common KJVOnlyist thing to attempt to link an attack upon their myth with an attack upon the KJV itself. That tactic simply won't work here; it's been tried and it's failed every time.

And it's an issue that MUST be addressed, as it eventually pops up in EVERY Baptist program. The reality of it is that the KJVO myth is a PROVEN FALSE DOCTRINE, which was NOT an original part of Baptist doctrine, and was introduced into it only in the 20th century.(We can discuss this further in the versions forum if you wish.)

Chipsgirl and others, please feel free to use any valid Bible version you feel God wants you to use, be it the KJV, ASV, or any other.

As for your proposed youth group, I would recommend you use YOUR preferred version(s) to teach from, but not to look down upon your fellow Christians' choices.

It may take some TIME to develop a youth group. You're young enough to know that many youths don't trust many older people, whom they believe are all out to exploit them. It may take them awhile for them to recognize that you're young yourself, but are SINCERE, and your sincerity could be your biggest asset in attracting their interest and eventually their trust. And STAY WITH IT! Just as you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink, if you keep the horse near the water, it's eventually gonna get thirsty. LET THE HOLY SPIRIT BE YOUR GUIDE.

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Gb93433,great little booklet. I printed it out.Chipsgirl you might also type "Elmer Townes" in your search window and pull up his web site.He knows a bit about Sunday school and you can virtually print out many of his books online for free.He will give you many ideas.
    You have already recieved some pretty good advice,it takes Bible study,prayer,shoe leather and hard work. God bless you in your walk with the Him.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am not here to slam you, but to tell you how much you are communicating and probably do not know it. For one, are you reading the Bible in an archaic language and then communicating orally in modern language when you speak? Why the difference? The people in the NT read in the Greek they spoke that day, not some archaic language of several hundred years earlier. The NT was not some book of antiquity. The language they read and spoke was exactly the same. They did not need a dictionary to interpret an archaic Greek text. They understood in their own language. People should understand the Bible in the language they read and write. They should not need a dictionary or have someone spend a lot of time explaining archaic English words. I have heard too many times where someone has heard a KJVO preacher and they have a NAS, and tell me that what the preacher said was already in their Bible. Why waste the people’s time just to do what the NAS has already done.

I have seldom heard nonbelievers say much about Christians slamming one another. What I have heard a lot about is the hypocrisy. I was in the business world for a long time and saw Christians lie, cheat and steal from their customers. I have seen churches that did not pay their bills.

In a town where I once lived was a church that produced KJVO literature. There were two problems: they became the laughing stock of the community and they had a reputation among believers and nonbelievers for their productions from the pulpit about other translations. What kind of a witness is that. That kind breeds a distrust of scripture.

If you prefer the KJV then why not get or make a translation in modern English?

4. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Chipsgirl.
    Have you prayed about it?

Remember, you should minister where the Lord wants you. Wherever that may be.

5. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Thank you all so much for your support and ideas! Yes, this is something I have been praying about for a very long time and feel that it is what I am being led to do. Keep sending in the ideas. It's very helpful.

P.S. Be nice to Trotter. [​IMG] I understood his advice. I'm not KJVO anyways and Crown is possibly too conservative for me. They have to wear skirts and dresses of a certain length. I'm use to wearing whatever I want to my church.

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chipsgirl, you have a very good start to being an effective program leader...you obey the rules of GOD while dismissing the silly and often igmorant doctrines made by men. There's no Scripture setting the height of hemlines and none limiting God to the KJV.

7. Broadus

Broadus Member

Chipsgirl,

There is so much that goes on in the way of youth work which is little more than glorified activity.

Allow me to recommend the best book I have ever seen on biblical youth work: Back to the Heart of Youth Work by Dewey Bertolini. I'm not sure if it is still available new, but you can find used copies by doing a search at www.addall.com .

Bill