1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

To Protest Hiring of Nonunion Help, Union Hires Nonunion Pickets

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by targus, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not say that unions have no needed place. Back when I was building elevators the companies would work us 14 to 16 hours a day, hurry up and get the job done so they could meet time standards and receive bonuses. The union negotiated to have the employees receive double time over 8 hours. This accomplished two things:

1. It made the companies think twice about putting such a heavy work load on an already dangerous industry

2. It provided a realistic compensation level for such long hours. We do not need to go from one extreme to the other eg. corrupt unions to no unions. They do have their value when handled correctly.

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed! That's why I used the phrase "they have essentially outlived their usefulness".

Before they can be an acceptable part of the work force -IMHO-they need to get rid of the Hoffa types & tactics and begin to act like responsible adults.

IOW none of this garbage that claims that secret ballots are detrimental to the workers like this admin. is wanting to foist on us.

Once they are truly for the worker - in a legitimate sense - they will have no need to try to bully a plant into accepting them; it will come automatically!

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Well unfortunately there are those who want to use these types of organizations for power.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

I understand the first rule of union organization: Name-calling is your friend.

This may be the quote of the year. Only a union apologist could come up with this! Calling walking back and forth, complaining about one's wages, a "trade." That's rich. (Especially considering what many of these wages pay...it moves from the humorously silly to utterly ridiculous)

Most "right-wing Baptists" (gee...more union name-calling. Does the AFL, or CIO, teach that?) believe in fair pay for fair work. But we also believe in employers, and employees, following biblical mandates for behavior...and that means employees not acting like petulent children (especially if they're working for wages already agreed upon). Sorry to bring Scripture into your pre-determined dogma. Must be that arthritic right wing of mine acting up.

Or, an "interested Baptist" could contact an organized crime family in the area, and cut out the middleman... :eek: Maybe an interested baptist wishes to "organize" a brothel? Or "organize" child prostitution? I'm sure these folks would accomodate...after all, they already have...

You know what? I agree that this group has been mistreated--and that fair treatment came later. I'll refrain comment further until I research more.

If you're referring to the farm workers' union, I can't respond to it.

However, if you're referring to unions in general, that line is a joke. I've experienced firsthand the "non-violent" persusasive powers of union goons. I've watched a friend of mine deal with it on a repeated basis. Sorry, but that lie don't fly. Not all unions are violent...nowhere near. But far too many are...more than people know. And in some places, they can do so with impunity. In order to defend those who engage in such behavior, one must engage in...
    1. A logical disconnect from reality;
    2. Bias so extreme that obvious sins and transgressions are simply ignored, so that one's political point can be made;
    3. Such stunning ignorance of much of unions' tactics as to be laughable.