1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

To run for office

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Aug 24, 2009.

?
  1. No - its all corrupt

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. No - there is no way I could win

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. No - I don't think I am qualified

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. No - other reason

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  5. Yes, I am fed up with the current politicians

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Yes, I want voters to have an option

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  7. Yes, my platform will be beneficial for my community

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  8. Yes, other reasons

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you consider running for public office.

Why or why not.

If you definitely would not run, do you really have a right (thats moral not legal) to complain about your Representatives.?

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, I have a moral right to complain to my rep, even though i wouldn't run. If only people who would run could speak, the politicans would have no mail to open.

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

No, I don't have the time or the money to mount a campaign.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

I ran for PUD commissioner, came in last. It was worth the experience.

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Yes, because I am the sharpest knife in the drawer! :tonofbricks:

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I have given consideration to running for public office, in the local city council election. I almost ran several years ago, but got a job offer which required me to move out of that city while I was collecting signatures.

The problem is that voters are fickle. They love you while you're running, and love to hate you after you're elected. In private life, you can go to a movie and no one will care. In public life, you can't go to a movie without someone wondering if you got a kickback from the threater, whether it was an appropriate movie for you to see, or what you opinion of the movie was. If you don't tell them what you opinion of the movie was, you're hiding something, and if you tell them, but they disagree, they accuse you of using your political influence to ruin a moviemaker's career.

And that's all at the city council level, where your average pay is about 600 bucks a month, with no perks.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your jokes cut me up :laugh::smilewinkgrin:

I too have run for office. What I have found is that you need name recognition. I went to several candidate forums. Of course I answered questions by the moderator. After the offical forum was over, very few if any one asked about my platoform.
    Sad state.

8. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One of the problems growing up and living a lot of your life overseas is that you have no roots. Even though I've been a citizen my entire life, I've only lived in the US for the last 16 years and at that in 3 different states. So, I most likely would not win. I just now feel like I'm begining to settle in. Though I'm mad at many of the things our politicians are doing I really can't see myself replacing them. The first thing people would say is "who are you?" As the Who song plays in my mind and my ADD kicks in and I start to envisage scenes from CSI.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thinking Stuff

Always look at the positive.

Over a period of 38 years, like yourself, I spent a total of 8 years overseas & another 6 years on Stateside posts(military) and another 8 years in various States or Commonwealths.

During a forum I sat on when I ran for City council, many of the other candidates said one of their qualifications was they had lived all their lives in Syracuse. I stated, I would bring in a unique perspective and experience as I had lived in several other communities. Also, you could say that being rather new in your community, you would not have any pre conceived notions about the relevant issues.

Of course, and above all, is the Lord leading us to do so? One of the pastors in our association is the mayor of his village! :thumbs:

10. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have often considered running for a political office. I believe that people should have a real choice & not have to decide between a liberal Democrat & a moderate Republican. To me, a moderates are worse than liberals, because you don't know what you're in for when they get into office.

The only problem is, If you're anything other than a Democrat or Republican, people around here, don't give you a chance. They don't seem to believe in educating themselves about the individual who is running. In Alabama, in order for a person to be listed as being a member of a third party, one has to gather signatures with addresses, & phone numbers of people who are in your voting district. Otherwise, you'll just be listed as an "independent". This means getting signature from people who don't like thrid parties. That would make being affiliated with any other party next to impossible.

In 2004, at my polling place, I noticed no one was running for Constable. I wrote my name in. Then I called my brother & told him what I did. When he went to vote, he wrote my name in too. About two weeks later, I got a letter in the mail from the probate court congratulating me. I resigned about three years after because there was very little respect for constables in our area. The city police didn't respect us. The sheriff's department did to some extent, however. That was one position that I was surprised that doesn't get "political". I've learned that before, I do anything like that, that I need to know what is expected of the job. At least, I'm the first in my family to ever hold a political office.

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At my age I have no desire to run for public office or hold one. The public work I will do is volunteering with organizations where I feel I can do something useful with my background.