1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured To those who are married

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jordan Kurecki, May 31, 2015.

1. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Wow. As if the correlation were even in the same town, much less the same ballpark.

You can get a temporary job. You can switch jobs. You can find a job until something better comes along. You have one shot at finding a mate.

Also, allowing God to bring you a mate instead of looking for one through websites will allow you to find one that believes as you do, and wont force you to attend a church that you don't like. I don't mean this in a hateful fashion, but as much as you've complained about your wife in the past, Evan, I wouldn't consider you an authority on how to find one.

#21 Sapper Woody, May 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2015
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Unfortunately people do this with their spouse as well.

3. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As some one who was single for over 30 years the stop looking and it will happen advice I think is the one that made me the most upset. Now obviously as a women I was in more of a passive role but I always kept my eyes open. Now for men the Bible does say he who Finds a wife, meaning that there is some action in the mans part. Besides its not a quid pro quo thing that as soon you stop looking God will being you a spouse. Yes it will happen in His time but we still need to be active. In this day and age men in my generation are too passive as it is when it comes to pursuing girls so telling them to stop really is just adding to the problem my generation is facing in finding spouses.
    Now I think we would all agree that Evan is not a great source for relationship advice given that he is the only one that had doubt's about his wife before hand and what he has said about her in the past, but being active is just common sense. I'm thankful that my husband looked at his options and realized they were slim pickings and decided to try eharmony. How God worked that out for us is amazing because so many things just fell into place. The means that God used was the internet for us, and He uses other means for others. I have said tongue I cheek that the Biblical ways of finding a spouse are: water some camels, win a beauty contest, go to the thrashing floor, stop the king from killing your husband, etc. In other words there is no one way.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Inspector Javert

I think God does have the exact person in mind every time;

3 And I will make thee swear by the Lord, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife unto my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell:

4 But thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son Isaac.

5 And the servant said unto him, Peradventure the woman will not be willing to follow me unto this land: must I needs bring thy son again unto the land from whence thou camest?

6 And Abraham said unto him, Beware thou that thou bring not my son thither again.

7 The Lord God of heaven, which took me from my father's house, and from the land of my kindred, and which spake unto me, and that sware unto me, saying, Unto thy seed will I give this land; he shall send his angel before thee, and thou shalt take a wife unto my son from thence.

8 And if the woman will not be willing to follow thee, then thou shalt be clear from this my oath: only bring not my son thither again.

9 And the servant put his hand under the thigh of Abraham his master, and sware to him concerning that matter.

10 And the servant took ten camels of the camels of his master, and departed; for all the goods of his master were in his hand: and he arose, and went to Mesopotamia, unto the city of Nahor.

11 And he made his camels to kneel down without the city by a well of water at the time of the evening, even the time that women go out to draw water.

12 And he said O Lord God of my master Abraham, I pray thee, send me good speed this day, and shew kindness unto my master Abraham.

13 Behold, I stand here by the well of water; and the daughters of the men of the city come out to draw water:

14 And let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say, Let down thy pitcher, I pray thee, that I may drink; and she shall say, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also: let the same be she that thou hast appointed for thy servant Isaac; and thereby shall I know that thou hast shewed kindness unto my master.

15 And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham's brother, with her pitcher upon her shoulder.

16 And the damsel was very fair to look upon, a virgin, neither had any man known her: and she went down to the well, and filled her pitcher, and came up.

17 And the servant ran to meet her, and said, Let me, I pray thee, drink a little water of thy pitcher.

18 And she said, Drink, my lord: and she hasted, and let down her pitcher upon her hand, and gave him drink.

19 And when she had done giving him drink, she said, I will draw water for thy camels also, until they have done drinking.

20 And she hasted, and emptied her pitcher into the trough, and ran again unto the well to draw water, and drew for all his camels.

5. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as finding the ONE goes I always say that the One you marry is the ONE and you know this because you're married to them. Otherwise it just gets to mystical of trying to read the signs to see if they are the one, and again leads to passivity on men's part. (Yes I'm a bit frustrated with men in my generation for lack of initiative when it comes to romantic relationship).

#25 blessedwife318, May 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2015
  6. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Can you explain how you merry someone?

Maybe that means to make your spouse happy or cheerful---which I guess isn't a bad idea.

(FWIW, I've never been married at any time during my 68 years here on good old terra firma, so I'm probably not your go-to person when it comes to how to find a marriage partner.)

7. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Typo ugh :)

8. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Apparently you've got the same incurable affliction as I do!! :type::thumbsup:

PS --- Maybe you'd want to PM me regarding living in AZ. I spent 2 yrs there; was saved there, & my bro & SIL retired there.

#28 wpe3bql, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2015