1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured To Those Who Hate Calvinism: What is Your BIG problem With it?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Wow. I would never be friends with those guys! :laugh:

:1_grouphug:

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, MEX .... I dont ah.....I wish your turn of phrase would be adjusted .... ya know!!!!:confused:

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think that's the way the Baptist Board is supposed to work.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Well, bro- that's the whole point of the illustration.:laugh:

Alas, the storm is come again! My best way is to creep under his gaberdine; there is no other shelter hereabout. Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows. I will here shroud till the dregs of the storm be past.

-Shakespeare

5. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I needed to add two Catholics, Walter and TS, but I waited too late to edit it. :)

6. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

To Those Who Hate Calvinism: What is Your BIG problem With it?

Uh...that I didn't come up with it.

For that matter, neither did Calvin. He claims to have learned his stuff from Augustine.

Of course, I'm probably wrong as usual. Go ahead and beat me down here on BB.

7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I disagree with Calvinism. I believe we agree for the most part on what happens, from God knowing from before the foundation of the earth who would be saved and on. It is the mechanics of how God carries it all out that we disagree on.

8. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're not talking about the church of Jesus Christ. He said He would build His church and that the gates of hell would not prevail against it. I believe Him over anyone of either persuasion on this board.

Total Depravity is worse than defined earlier in this thread. Depravity in the unredeemed is not passive it is active. Those who deny the doctrines of grace

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

Here's a summation of what we do and what Jesus does in building His church.

And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others. But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

9. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Well of course everything Calvinism teaches is not wrong, but I don't think they come to the correct conclusion.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Robert,
    We are on the opposite ends of the spectrum on doctrines of sovereignty and grace, but I respect you for your honest beliefs. The person you are dealing with is a strawman, smoke and mirrors expert. He has no knowledge of church history. All he is able to do is throw up five year statements into peoples faces. He has no substance, and is nothing but a nuscience.

When I have something to say to you, I do it in a direct way. Although we disagree on many things, I respect you as a brother in Christ. No comment about your opponent.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Besides the problem of Calvinism having the name that it does, the substance of the doctrine is correct. The thing that irks me is people like the author of this thread making those who do believe in sovereignty look weak. In fact, people like this are allies of the Arminian position.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another case of S/N caught again. On 5/2/2013 he said regarding me:"How dare you,as a Christian,well versed in church history..." Sat/Nep viewd me as having some knowlege of church history. Now a mere 9 days later he claims that I have no knowledge of Church History.

It is a hoot that you contradict yourself so often. Again it's Sat/Nep vs. Sat/Nep. Who will win? LOL!

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are so far-afield that you would claim water isn't wet.

14. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Lol, so true. He claims he fought for our freedoms, yet he started another thread wanting to ban songs he disagrees with! Mike is a walking wonder :thumbsup:

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I never claimed anything. Evidentally you do not read well. That is clear in your theological ideas. If you do not like threads about songs, do not respond. Frankly, if you are going to bother to display an avatar, use one that one not look like someone who should have been dead ten years before the picture is taken.

You and your buddies like Rippon can make fun all you want, the bottom line is you take up the cause (and frankly, in your case I am somewhat surprised, I thought your character was a notch above Rippon) of singing the praises of a murderer and thug.

I am a walking wonder, and also persistent. No one who praises the character of John Calvin, Hitler, Hussein, Stalin, Mao, Castro, Khan, several of the Popes, and your TV evangelists of the charasmatic persuasion, will get in the last word as long as I and many other posters are given the priviledge to post here.

Threads that uplift historical figures like that are not only devoid of any Christian elements, they are totally devoid of freedom, liberty and respect for others.

16. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

I love you Mike.

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

My name is not Mike, but wish you and him the best.

18. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Sometimes I think we are more concerned whether someone is Arminian or Calvinist than we are if they are Christian. How ironically sad!

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a much bigger problem with Calvinists than I do with Calvinism.

20. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel unto all the elect even though they are going to be saved whether you preach to them or not.

How a Calvinist honestly fulfills the commission to win souls is a mystery which is probably why you never see any of them emphasize it and often even preach against it. The Calvinist waits for God to bring the elect to them which doesn't make sense when the Bible says "GO".

One of the biggest issues that Rome had with the Baptists is that they were aggressive soul winners. What a great way for John Calvin to help out his baby sprinkling mother church by creating a doctrine that discourages the spread of the gospel.

But hey, at least for the Calvinists that use the NIV that says to preach the gospel to all "creation", we know that the trees will be saved! Al Gore will be happy.

#100 DrJamesAch, May 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.