1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

To what extent does God control the day-to-day events of our lives?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by LarryN, Sep 9, 2003.

1. LarryN

LarryN New Member

I'm just looking for some thoughts or insights (including references from Scripture, if possible) on the extent to which God controls the day-to-day events of our lives. I know Pastors (and other Christians) who essentially hold to one or the other of the following basic views (and will point to specific verses), and I'm wondering what others may think.

View # 1: God shapes and controls what happens in our lives on a general or overall basis, intervening as he chooses at critical junctures or important points along the way. His plan for our lives is accomplished on a macro scale, with smaller or minor details oftentimes free to play themselves out as they will, with a greater degree of autonomy left to ourselves.

View # 2: God is intensely involved in virtually all of the details and day-to-day events in our lives. Everything has a purpose. His plan for our lives is accomplished on a micro scale. If we have a flat tire on our way to the grocery store, it's part of God's plan for our lives and serves some purpose. There is no such thing in this view as just a random nail lying in the roadway.

Your thoughts?

2. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

God is Sovereignly in charge over all creation, but this does not mean that He directly causes all things. (For example, He doesn't cause one to sin.) However, as God dwells in Eternity above Time (seeing the end from the beginning), and because He knows all things actual and possible, it's no problem for Him to Providentially control His creation, even over those things He doesn't directly cause to happen. He's working out all things for the ultimate good. He's never surprised or caught off guard.

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I take this to mean nothing happens apart from the Father's will. We could debate about whether that is a permissive will or a directive will or some other will, but the text doesn't say, and I'm not sure we'd fully understand it even if it did say.

I don't think this simply means "God knows how many hairs you have" (in my case, counting them wouldn't be all that difficult, anyway), but that even the number of your hairs at any given time is within God's will.

What a beautiful verse. I don't understand why people are repulsed by the idea that God is in control of every minute detail. I don't fear being a puppet, but when I do fear at times it is because I can't always remember and have faith every moment of my life that God is in control of even the hairs of my head.

4. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

God is as intensely involved in our lives as if there were no other people on the planet and He gave me 100% of His attention. (Scarey thought)

5. David Mark

David Mark New Member

1Pe 5:7 casting all your anxiety upon him, because he careth for you.

I've been practicing this lately with all my heart.

I find that during a day I can be anxious or care about much and no man seems to care for me at all. In conversation I mention these things to my Heavenly Father almost immediately and then trust him. The more I do this..., the more I am encouraged to do this. These days I hide nothing from him. It all comes out and goes before the Throne of Grace.

To me, nothing is too trivial about my life or the lives of others for God to be concerned about and for me to mention. Sometimes I am embarrassed to mention simple things to my Father, but I respectfully tell him that too.

I am rather silly, aren't I?

I will be honest with you though. The amount of hope that this creates is awesome. I am filled with much hope because I pray much, anywhere, anytime and about anything.

Dave [​IMG]

6. russell55

russell55 New Member

I go with option #2.

"God works all things according to the counsel of His will."

There is no macro managing without micro managing. Every big event is made up of bazillions of smaller events, and if any one of those smaller events is changed, the outcome will change.

7. Pete

Pete New Member

LarryN, this question has been giving me a lot of headaches the last couple of years or so [​IMG]

I guess for now I could be called a View#1ian, but the more I think about it the more hyper-hyper-View2ism seems to be the way things work...

I have seen God working in ALL things for good (Romans 8:28(a)) enough to make me seriously consider the View #2 side. A while ago I would have said it was a reactive working for good, however am now starting to consider it as a proactive working...

Maybe I should flip a coin...a few times ;)

Pete

8. russell55

russell55 New Member

Good idea, especially if you remember that Proverbs tells us that even the outcome of the flipped coin comes from the Lord.... :D

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Prov. 16:9 says, "The mind of man plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps."