1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Today (09/02) is...

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Sep 2, 2011.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

....known as V-J Day here in the USA. It comemorates the day in 1945 where the formalities took place aboard the battleship USS Missouri that was anchored in Tokyo Bay where the formal instruments of surrender of the Japanese Empire to the combined allied nations were signed.

General Douglas MacArthur presided over these formalities, thus officially ending World War II.

Approximately nine months and a few days later, yours truly was born. Not sure if my birth had any connection with those activities that happened aboard the "Mighty MO," but, then, maybe they did. :smilewinkgrin:

I had two uncles that fought in WWII (one in Europe & one in the Pacific). My father worked in a defense plant assembling aircraft, and my mother worked in a clothing factory that made uniforms for the Army.

Most of us here on BB can still remember what they were doing when they first heard of the 09/11/2001 attacks. My parents remembered what they were doing when they first heard the news of the attack on Pearl Harbor that Sunday evening in December of 1941.

About 25 years ago my mother traveled to Hawaii on a senior citizens' cruise. One of the highlights of her trip there was to visit the USS Arizona Monument that is built right over that sunken battleship in which most of her crew still remain entombed.

I asked her how she felt as she looked out at that oil slick that still flows from within the bowels of the USS Arizona. She told me that it was such a feeling of emptiness that words cannot fully express.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My FIL was on the Missouri at the time but had to go ashore for the signing.

3. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

My late Grandfather went through the Pacific during those dark days. Thinking of him tonight.

4. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

I work for the Department of Veterans Affairs. This day went by without any mention of V-J Day. Even WE forgot the day :( .

The cost was too high to forget this victory.

5. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here in Syracuse, the big news was the protest march by the Peace Council on Aug 6. see link

I called the Peace Council and asked them if they would march on Dec 7th to remember those who died at Pearl Harbor - their answer was that they just don't have the time to do everything. So sad:tear:

About 10 years ago, I had a Japanese girl (SU student) I was teaching how to drive. On Dec 7, I asked her if she knew the significance of the day - she had no ideal :tear:

7. billwald

billwald New Member

Ancient history is no longer taught in public schools. <G>