1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Today's COPS Incident

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Oct 27, 2015.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is what I'm wondering too.

"Barbie - You need to leave the class now."
    "No"
    "Barbie - I asked you nicely. Please get up and leave the class now. "
    "No."
    * calls the office and the police officer comes in*
    "Young lady, please come with me right now."
    "No."
    "I'm asking you to get up out of your chair and come with me now."
    "No"

Now what do you do??

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.baptistboard.com/threads/todays-cops-incident.96643/#post-2180612

Or slide the desk with the kid sitting in it out into the hall.
    Or call her parents and tell her to come and get her.
    Or take away her phone and let her sit there.

She was texting on her phone, which is prohibited during class time. I fail to see how that is disruptive. True, you can't let her get away with it because then all the other kids would want to do it. The problem was the response, it was excessive.

3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the cop said, "Will you move? Are you going to move?"
    There was no demand or any consequences for non-compliance given.

Honestly, is there no common sense any more? Grown-ups are letting children and teens get away with just about anything because they are, well, stupid. Allowing a 15 year old girl be disobedient and your only option is violence is crazy.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If she wasn't disrupting the class, who called in the cop? Did he just arbitrarily walk into the room and choose her to pick on?

If a cop asks me to get up and go with him in that situation, I would. But then again, had a teacher asked me to put away my phone, I would have as well.

No need to worry. I would have gotten up and prevented anything like that from happening. It's not hard. I'm sure this dear, sweet girl could have done it had she had the chance and the cop asked her to get up.

The chair fell over when she wouldn't get up and he tried to get her up.

Yep - I saw that. He removed her from the area of the other students to the front of the classroom where there was less that she could hurt herself - and others on.

That's exactly what I saw.

Vision is 20/15. I see just fine and watched both videos numerous times. Was it harsh to watch? Yep. Could the entire thing have been avoided? Yep. All by the girl.

I've taken a toddler who threw themselves backwards and knocked me off balance causing me to fall. I've taken a toddler out of a high chair that then falls over because they got stuck on it and knocked it over. It happens when one is having a tantrum.

LOL - At what point was this girl EVER compliant? Never.

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I guarantee that no one else in the class cared that the girl was using her phone to text. It's against the rules and the teacher had a problem with her doing it. The solution would be to make it clear again to everyone else in the class that cell phones are not to be out and being used during class so don't get any ideas that you too can be disrespectful as the one student was being. And then make known to her and the rest of the class that you will deal with it after the class. And EVERYBODY would have known exactly what that meant.

Part of teaching is not getting in the way of the teaching. You try and de-escalate, not escalate.

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Deputy Fields, who is described by many as ‘The Hulk’, due to his muscular appearance, apparently uses that to intimidate students who do not listen. (In the picture to the left, Deputy Fields is shown bench pressing an estimated 600 pounds). Richland Two Black Parents Association founder, Stephen Gilchrist, said that students have long claimed abuse and intimidation by Deputy Fields, but until now, they had no video evidence to back up those claims.

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott released a statement saying,

I have spoken with the FBI and U.S. Attorney William Nettles today as I travel back from Chicago. Their investigation has begun. I have also consulted with Solicitor Dan Johnson and he agrees that the criminal investigation will be best served with the FBI as the lead agency. We do not want any issues with the community or those involved having questions concerning conflicts of interest in this investigation. SLED has been requested by the school board of Richland 2 and individual legislators to also look into the matter. Solicitor Johnson and I have no issues with SLED assisting the FBI and U.S. Attorney. A complete and thorough investigation is what we both want, as well as the public.

http://www.copblock.org/145145/new-...student-has-long-history-of-racism-and-abuse/

The students call Deputy Fields "officer slam".

#46 poncho, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And if she hits or kicks you while sliding her desk? Or falls out of the desk and screams assault.

So you disrupt everyone's education for however long it takes for a parent to get there?

How do you get her phone if she resists?

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you have no solution.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

She was TEXTING. The teacher had a problem with that. Not the students. He could have kept on teaching AS HE DID.

You're a white female. Your interaction with and perception of police officers is completely different than her's, as a black female and a student at the school who no doubt knew about Officer "Slam", the nickname given to him by students because of prior incidents.

Somewhere along the way, somebody has convinced some of you that police officers have a license to do this stuff just because you don't do what they say. They do not. If he was arresting her, he should have said so.

That's right. Let's blame the girl who was slammed and thrown across the room for the officer's actions. Typical.

Oh so now the chair just "fell" over?O O Why don't you just say she knocked the chair over flipped herself backwards and then threw herself across the floor?Rolleyes

Oh so NOW he was trying to protect er and the other students by grabbing her by the neck, slamming her on the floor and then slinging her across the floor. Well lands sake. He needs to pay whomever he has to to get you as a juror.

Then you're blind in one eye and can't see out the other.

Your vision is CLEARLY impaired.Cool

Please let me know the next time you attempt this so that I can send someone to videotape you slamming a toddler onto the floor and slinging him across the floor. I'm sure they'll make sure you never see that baby again.
    Not being compliant doesn't place you under arrest.

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

You obviously have as hard a time reading as ann has seeing.

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Plenty of kids would have recorded it on their phones. The teacher could have warned the kid, "You will be removed from the classroom by sliding your desk along the floor. I'm going to take a video of it, so don't do anything foolish."

No, you let her sit there and play with her phone until the parents get there. You make sure she is suspended and not allowed to bring a phone to classrooms going forward.

"Give me your phone. If you resist I will forcibly take it from you." Then be sure some student is recording the attempt to get her phone.

Honestly, you people seem helpless in the face of a stubborn 15 year old girl. Sheesh.

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This goes back to Poncho's point. Parents would likely never get away with this sort of action, yet some think it's totally justified for police to do it. Insane.

13. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I'm sure "officer slam" would have no problem arresting this girl's parents for doing the same thing to her.

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

According to the news reports I'm seeing, the Sheriff has fired the officer.

Sheriff: School officer fired after tossing student in class

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — A deputy was fired Wednesday after video showed him flipping a teen backward out of her desk and tossing her across a classroom, with the sheriff saying the officer did not follow proper procedures and training.

Richland County Senior Deputy Ben Fields was told of his firing late Wednesday morning, Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said. Fields had been a school resource officer at Spring Valley High School.

The student was being disruptive and refused to leave the classroom despite being told by a teacher and administrator to do so, Lott said, and that's when Fields was brought in Monday to remove her from the class. She again refused, and Fields told her she was under arrest, Lott said.

She continued to refuse, and at that point the video shows the deputy flipping the teen backward and then throwing her across the room. At that point, Lott said, Fields did not use proper procedure.

"I can tell you what he should not have done: He should not have thrown that student," Lott said during a news conference.

The agency's training unit looked at video of the incident and determined Fields did not follow proper training and procedure, the sheriff said.

Sheriff: 'I Want to Throw Up' Watching Vid … Play video
    [​IMG]

Calls for Fields to be fired began mounting almost immediately after the video surfaced, and the FBI began a civil rights investigation at Lott's request. The confrontation was captured on cellphones by students, one of whom said it all started when the girl pulled out her cellphone and refused her math teacher's attempt to take it away during class.

"She now has a cast on her arm, she has neck and back injuries. She has a Band-Aid on her forehead where she suffered rug burn on her forehead," Columbia attorney Todd Rutherford, who is representing the teen, told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Wednesday.

Lott had said Tuesday that the girl was uninjured in the confrontation but "may have had a rug burn."

The sheriff suspended Fields without pay Monday. Lott, who rushed home from an out of town conference when the news broke, said that a teacher and vice principal in the classroom at the time felt the officer acted appropriately.

Email, phone and text messages for Fields have not been returned.

NAACP: 'Race is a Factor' in SC Student Ar … Play video
    [​IMG]

More than a dozen parents and community members spoke out at a Tuesday night meeting of the Richland 2 School District. Some, black and white alike, said the issue wasn't based on race, and, while the officer may have used unnecessary force, the whole incident shows that teachers and administrators need to work harder on finding ways to handle defiant students.

Craig Conwell was angry, imploring board members to take action and saying Fields should have been fired immediately.

"If that was my daughter ... that officer being fired would be the least of his worries," Conwell said. "We are sick and tired of black women being abused. You can say it's not racist all you want to."

The deputy also arrested a second girl who verbally objected to his actions. Both girls were charged with disturbing schools and released to their parents. Their names were not officially released.

The second student, Niya Kenny, told WLTX-TV that she felt she had to say something. Doris Kenny said she's proud her daughter was "brave enough to speak out against what was going on."

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And if she puts her feet down and refuses to let you slide the desk?

And if the parents don't show before class is over? She stays in class and simply doesn't have to do what you say? The kids will be laughing at your lack of authority and more of them will test you.

So you would actually use force? Can you predict how that would turn out? You're going to depend on other students to video for you? What if they refuse?

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth? And then they have the gall to arrest the girl who took the video if I'm reading correctly.

17. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Key takeaway for BB posters, "what should have been done?"

"I can tell you what he should not have done: He should not have thrown that student," Richland County Sherrif Leon Lott said during a news conference.

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Asked and answered.

19. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

South Carolina Deputy Ben Fields Fired After Desk-Flipping Incident: Sheriff

The school resource officer who was caught on camera violently flipping a South Carolina high school student at her desk has been fired, authorities announced Wednesday.

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said an internal investigation over the Monday incident at Spring Valley High School in Columbia focused on whether Senior Deputy Ben Fields had violated the department's policies.

He said at a news conference that the department looked at cellphone videos taken from the classroom and interviews with witnesses, and concluded that the maneuvers he used in the confrontation were "not acceptable."

From the very beginning that's what's caused me to be upset, and (which) continued to upset me is that he picked the student up and threw the student across the room," Lott said.

"Deputy Ben Fields did wrong this past Monday," he added.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...na-deputy-ben-fields-be-fired-sources-n452881

20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure if the other girl that was arrested had taken video. As far as I know she made the mistake of saying, "This isn't right. This isn't right." I guess free speech is an arrestable offense now.