1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Today's COPS Incident

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Making mental note to send this to President Obama.:rolleyes:

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

So you're either duplicitous minded or clearly don't know what you're talking about.
    I'm going with both.

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I love how all the "experts" claim we the uneducated inexperienced masses need an "expert" to tell us what's right or wrong.

You're welcome. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think President Obama can tell me what Law Enforcement Academy you graduated from?

Or what Law Enforcement Agency you worked for?

Or how many hours, days, weeks, months, years you spent in a patrol car answering calls and intervening in potentially deadly situations?

Or how many such situations you personally handled during your time as a Law Enforcement Officer?

Why would he know the answer to your activities? And why don't you know?

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah! What do we know?

sheriff.jpg

6. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think TCassidy is correct in that people second guess police when things are happening fast and furiously but this wasn't some split second life or death decision point for that officer. Maybe things would have gone better for him if he took a second to think (or more importantly, regain composure).

#86 Use of Time, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So how would you get this girl out of the classroom if she steadfastly refused to go?

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not Poncho, but I will answer. I would have told her we were leaving. If she refused to comply I would have grasped her arm just above the elbow and applied sufficient pressure to cause her compliance. If she resisted physically I would have applied pain compliance techniques including, but not limited to, a wrist lock (hyperflexion). If she continued to resist with violence I would use a contact Tazer to discourage her continued violent resistance.

What I wouldn't do is body slam her to the floor breaking her arm in the process. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Ain't that something? That's supposed to be their way to shut you down.Biggrin I mean the officer couldn't have possibly as TC said, been a bit heavy handed. Everyone understands that cops have to make split second decisions. But again, this was a girl with a cell phone who wouldn't leave the class. There is no split second decision to make unless she was trying to hurt herself or somebody else.

De-escalate the situation and keep it moving.

The professionals in the room should have known better. I think it might be safe to venture that may have been part of a regular MO for the officer in dealing with students.

You don't get the nickname, Officer Slam, for nothing.

10. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I guess you know enough to try intimidation if the "expert" opinion baloney doesn't succeed. Lol!

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    She resisted with violence. She escalated the force continuum. :)

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can only imagine what the armchair second guessers would have to say if they saw that video.;)

13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Now THAT is a well trained officer speaking.[​IMG] There were just too many other ways it could have been handled without doing what he did. I don't understand why you, as an officer, wouldn't have a better rapport with the students than he apparently didn't have whereby you can walk in and call her by name and say let's go or I'm going to contact your parents right now so that you can hear them as I tell them that I'm about to handcuff you and remove you from the classroom.

It's the same thing that's been said about cops in different neighborhoods. If you're gonna be somewhere 8 to 12 hours a day which he probably was when you include football, in seven years, there should have been some sort of rapport established with the student body that wasn't condescending or confrontational.

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

He had his arm around her neck. I would have resisted with violence too at that point. Eric Garner wasn't too long ago.

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Contact Tazers (so-called Stun Guns) are a lot less painful and a lot less violent than a barbed stand-off Tazer. :)

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I would say GREAT JOB Officer Cassidy for quickly dealing with the situation in a professional manner.

• Like Like x 1
  17. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

She resisted after "officer friendly" had his big arm around her neck. I don't need an "expert" to tell me that's a reflex action anyone would have done in the same situation.

But it would be nice if I could an "expert" to answer this question, is it standard police policy to accuse everyone that succumbs to their reflex actions to protect themselves as resisting?

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you would have been just as wrong as she was. The proper response is to submit to the officer, then, if he was in the wrong, sue him, his department, his city/county into bankruptcy. But the place to argue these issues is the court room, not the class room. :)

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Yep. It has been established that the human body needs oxygen to survive. And if deprived of said oxygen, that body will fight to get it.

20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    She was already resisting or he would not have had his arm around her neck. :)