1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Together, We Can Change Washington!

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by righteousdude2, Jan 13, 2011.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I received the following, and it seems like a good idea to me. Instead of the POTUS and Congress enacting changes that we don't like and approve of, let's TURN the tables on them, and work to get CHANGE enacted that will limit their terms and make sure there are no more CAREER POLITICIANS.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971...before computers, before e-mail, before cell phones, etc.

Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took 1 year or less to become the law of the land...all because of public pressure.

I'm asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.

In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.

*Congressional Reform Act of 2011*

*1. Term Limits.*

* 12 years only, one of the possible options below..*

* A. Two Six-year Senate terms*

* B. Six Two-year House terms*

* C. One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms*

*2. No Tenure / No Pension. *

*A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.*

*3. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.*

*All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people.*

*4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.*

*5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.*

*6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.*

*7. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.*

*8. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective
    1/1/11. *

*_The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves_**.*

*Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.***

*If you agree with this concept, please consider letting others know. If each of us passed this on to a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S. ) to receive the message. Maybe it is time*.

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!!!!!

2. billwald

billwald New Member

>The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it.

I don't remember the people demanding it. I think it passed because the politicians knew it was harmless and might gain the incumbents some votes.

It was harmless because teenagers don't vote and nothing changed. I thought they would vote themselves an 18 year drinking age but didn't.

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You Say Tomato, I Say Tomatoe!

Bill, I didn't put that info sheet together, but, I vaquely remember a lot of young folk wanting the age to vote changed to 18.

I guess it is all based upon who is doing the walk down "Memory Lane. :thumbs:

4. billwald

billwald New Member

Then why don't they vote? If you wish to credit teen voters with Obama's election why did voting take 40 years to catch on among them and are you happy it did?

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Giving 18-year-olds the legal privilege to vote came hand in hand with protests of the draft and the war in Vietnam. It was argued that if an 18-year-old could be sent to die on a foreign field then he should have a say in who sends him.

Can't believe you old geezers can't remember that, especially being part of the '60's yourselves.:tongue3:

6. billwald

billwald New Member

Agreed. It was/is also argued that they have a right to a beer.

7. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I received this same email and after the chuckle, I did what I almost never do and forwarded it for other followers to chuckle over. If we, the people, take the government over will it change what God has decreed? There is no USA in the End time Prophecies.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

Yes! Post-mil eschatology is idolatry. Try and tell it to Christian Reconstructionists and Evangelicals.

9. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a rather meaningless post to 99.9% of the people in the world without an explanation!

10. billwald

billwald New Member

True, but this is a list of Baptists who know their Bible, theology, and politics and get great enjoyment arguing about them. Christian Reconstructionists run Congress and think they can force Jesus to return by subjecting the world to Levitical Law. This is idolatry, putting one's trust in horses and chariots instead of trusting God. No one on this list would do that.

11. targus

targus New Member

Can I have your permission to quote you whenever billwald posts anything? :laugh:

12. billwald

billwald New Member

We have lots of Primitive Baptists on this list?