1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tongues as Evidence

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Don, Feb 3, 2002.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

quote:
    “IMO, I think it is because it does exist and most people don't understand the difference between the Gift of the Holy Ghost, speaking in tongues and divers kinds of tongues. One will never understand what 1 Cor. 14 is talking about until you see that Acts 2:4 and 1 Cor. 14 *ARE NOT* the same opperation.”
    “Yes, the operations are of the Spirit of God, but it's all in how it is used. (MEE)”

—You are on to something here MEE. “One will never understand what 1Cor.14 is talking about until you” understand what Acts 2 is talking about. There are both similarities and differences. I will grant you that. The similarities far outweigh the differences. In both cases they spoke with other tongues, languages that were real and known to others. In neither case was this “tongues” some kind of mysterious unknown language, not known to any one else. No where is it taught that the gift of tongues is to be used for private or selfish purposes such as private prayer.
    Acts 2:4 “And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.”
    Acts 2:16 “But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;”
    —The Day of Pentecost, and the events thereof, was a one-time event, never to be repeated again in history. This was the time when all believers would be infilled with the Holy Spirit–from this time forth. This is the even that most consider as the beginning of the church age. It was a one time event that marked a new era in history. It was also a fulfillment of prophecy (Joel 2:28), as Peter said. This was the first day of the church in Jerusalem. 3000 souls were saved that day and added to the church (the local church at Jerusalem). Later on there were other churches started. Paul went on three missionary journeys and established many churches. One of them was at Corinth in Greece. The events taking place in Corinth that Paul is referring to in 1Cor.14 took place over 20 years past the time of the Day of Pentecost. So in that respect you are right, they are not the “same operation.” By this time churches had become more established. Paul had written some of his pastoral epistles. He had given instruction to the churches. The churches were to do everything decently and in order. There were to be no women speaking out in church. Tongues, the least important of the gifts, was restricted to two or at the very most three individuals, and they all had to have interpreters, or they were not allowed to speak at all. There had to be order. Tongues was not necessary. It was a sign to the Jews. The Jews, by this late hour, (when Paul wrote to Corinth) had already seen the sign. Even then, they still refused the Messiah (1Cor.14:21,22). Now that we have the complete Word of God, this sign is no more needful. It died out at the end of the first century along with the other spiritual gifts listed in 1 Cor. 12.

ONENESS, I believe that women spoke in tongues in Acts 2, on the Day of Pentecost, and not in the church at Corinth, for basically the same reasons outlined above. It was a one-time event never again to be repeated in history, a fulfillment of prophecy. God spoke to Moses face to face as it were on Mount Sinai, but He doesn’t do that with everyone. That was a one time event, even for Moses. God parted the Red Sea, and it swallowed up the Egyptian army. That was a one time event in history. So was the Day of Pentecost. It will never be repeated again. Neither will the experiences of those women who spoke in tongues on that day. The Bible does not contradict itself. Women are to keep silence in the church. This had a specific reference to tongues. It wasn’t too long after this letter was written that tongues ceased altogether.
    DHK

[ February 24, 2002, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: DHK ]

2. Overdose

Overdose New Member

Hey Don,
    I guess you didnt see the post, that I posted above your's in this thread. :D
    Peace and hair grease,
    OD

[ February 24, 2002, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: ovrdose ]

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, yes, I did; that's why I posed question #1 to you.

4. atestring

atestring New Member

Where did you come up with that statement?

5. atestring

atestring New Member

Were the Gentiles of Acts 10 saved before or after the Holy Spirit caused them to speak in tongues? And why were the circumsized who believed so amazed by this?

ovrdose, 2 things: 1) Did you see my response to you up in the "Seekers" thread? 2) The commentary you posted doesn't take into account that the word has two specific meanings: a quantity, or an amount of time. In the usage of the word (its context), it obviously isn't referring to time, so the rendering of "many" is accurate. Further, it's modifying the word "phone," which is rendered voices in the KJV, and literally means "sounds." However, since what Paul is talking about is the use of the gift of tongues, the translation is not at all in question--except for those that are trying to support a particular viewpoint.

MEE, Brian, how about answering those questions I posed?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Cornelius had been fasting and God told him to send to joppa and told him where Peter was ,
    ]When they met Cornelius said that he was ready to hear what Peter had to say. I believe that he was accepting Jesus and then as Peter spoke to him about the Things of Jesus The Holy Ghost fell upon him. Speaking in tongues did not astonish those of the circumcision but they were astonished that this happened to those that wer not Jewish. They had never seen this happen to a gentile.
    As to your "seeker thread" question , I am not aware of a seeker thread.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As for the seekers thread, that was addressed to ovrdose.

7. atestring

atestring New Member

My Bad!!
    I had never noticed the seekers thread.
    This brings it to my attention.
    Thanks!!