1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tongues as the evidence of the Holy Spirit is not Biblical

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by AAA, Mar 9, 2007.

1. AAA

AAA New Member

Mod...I hope it is OK to repost this...I have some questions that need to be answered from both sides and this was very well written..Thanks.

This post come from: http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=18749
    AMEN!

I have read through all of the answers to her post and I have read many books, tracts, papers trying to prove this "Tongues as evidence" doctrine, but I am renewing this post because I am wanting to see if any of you believe: Tongues as an evidence for recieving the Holy Spirit and if so can you prove it biblically?

The largest group in the U.S.A that believes this doctrine is the United Pentecostal Church (Read my post: "Oneness Pentecostal Cult" http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=37411.

The Oneness Pentecostals say there are THREE different typs of tongues...
    1. Is the tongues when some gets saved and the HOLY GHOST comes with-in the believer-Tongues as the evidence of recieving the Holy Spirit.
    2. The Gift of tongues used in an assembly with interpretation..
    3. Tongues as a Prayer lagauge...

Are there different types of tongues?

I really want to know: How do we refute such a doctrine as this, from the biblical standpoint???

Do you know of any other books that will teach against thisDoctrine?

1. "Jesus Only churches" by E. Calvin Biesner...
    2. "Oneness Pentecostals and the Trinity" by Gregory Boyd...
    3. Name one more????????????????

Thanks for your help............

:godisgood:

#1 AAA, Mar 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007
  2. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

The Bible also teaches against this belief.
    "1COR 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
    1COR 12:30 have all gifts of healings? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?" (ASV).​
    The implied answer from the surrounding context is `no.' Even in the New Testament era, not every Christian spoke in tongues.

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Tongues as the evidence of anything since the Apostle's generation, is tongues as the evidence of sure falsity, for a Christian not to be fooled by.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went to Japanese language school with Pentecostals. Everybody had to study, and nobody got Acts 2 tongues. :smilewinkgrin:

This is an echo of what happened after the "Azuza Street Revival," when the early Pentecostals sent out missionaries expecting them to speak in foreign languages (at least they were exegetically honest in their embrace of Acts 2)--but it didn't happen! :type:

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Charismatic Movement, by John R. Rice.

6. Dustin

Dustin New Member

They also believe in baptismal regeration which is an ancient holdover from Roman Catholicism. They're also very dogmatic on the mode of baptism, immersion ONLY in "Jesus's Name" ONLY and then you speak in tounges or you are NOT by any other means saved. It's rank Pelagianism.

They used to be Wesleyan holiness folks. I think that the fruit of the so-called "holiness" movement (Pentecostalism) speaks volumes about the theological errors they embrace. "Holiness" theology is directly linked to John Wesley's brand of Arminianism, which was highly influenced by Eastern Orthodox mysticism, hence the exhaltation of "signs and wonders".

:BangHead:

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Dustin

7. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Actually, Oneness Apostolic Pentecostals rejected the Trinity because Roman Catholicism teaches it and they do not find it explicit in Scripture. They believe in the full Divinity of Jesus Christ in a way other than the Trinity.

Their beliefs on `salvation by completed baptism' comes from the 1769 King James Version of Acts 2:38. That is actually their central verse. Further, many Apostolic Pentecostals will not use anything other than the King James Version and prefer that others not either.

#7 Darron Steele, Mar 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2007
  8. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You signature says you are the resident Presbyterian here -- how in the world does infant baptism make any sense at all without baptismal regeneration --which is exactly why the RCC started it!

In Christ,

Bob

9. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you believe they can be saved and still reject the Trinity?

10. Dustin

Dustin New Member

It has to do with covenants, not baptismal regeneration.

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Dustin

11. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Whatever Biblical tongues were (was), Paul sought to quiet the confusion in the Corinthian church by pointing out that the greatest spiritual gift was to be able to share the message that Christ had arrived with the Kingdom message for the Jews, and now salvation by grace through faith had come to everyone else (including Jewish converts), the marvelous GIFT of God, with Paul as God's advocate, in the Name of Jesus!

Nothing was written down until Paul's letters arrived, followed sometime later by the gospels. The early church was growing based upon the oral testimony of reliable witnesses as to the advent, message, and ministry of Jesus. These reliable witnesses had to teach what? The doctrine according to Paul, NOT the doctrine of the OT or the Kingdom message for the Jews! In how many languages? Whoa! Was that a switch or what? No wonder the Jewish hierarchy got lockjaw!

What's at work here? The Holy Spirit.

In 13:8-10 what does Paul say? Why would it fade away? Because folks could read Paul's letters! They no longer had to rely upon accurate presentation by word of mouth, or some speaker who wasn't quite getting it right, or some guy who stood up babbling just as the pastor was making his 5th point! The preacher, the pastor, the evangelist, now had the written word and could exegesis all da live long day do-dah do-dah, glory hallelujah!

Can you imagine the excitement among the brethren when a letter from Paul arrived? Wow! Pow! "Get everyone together! It's a letter from Paul! Meeting at 6:30 in Fellowship Hall! Pastor and guest evangelist, who walked here (from X with Letter Z) on the program!"

Electricity in the air!!!!

12. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Dustin is not the only Presbyterian here.

And he's right.

13. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Shame on me for forgetting.