1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tony Gwynn Head Baseball Coach

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Nicholas25, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Although Coach Gwynn has a conference championship at San Diego State University, he is under .500 in his five year coaching career. I felt as I am sure he did, that he would come in and turn that program into a national power because of his name and his knowledge of the game of baseball. Maybe he has found out that you can "know the game" and teach the game the "right way" but still not have it sink in with the players. Coaching baseball is very hard especially if you have players who do not care as much as you do as a coach. What do you guys think about Coach Gwynn and have you heard any weaknesses he has as a head baseball coach?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Baseball is a very hit or miss game (no pun intended). You can have the talent, and still not win. Look at the White Sox. On paper they are very similar to the team that won the World Series, but for whatever reason are struglling mightily. Is it Ozzie's fault? Maybe a little, but not enough that they are 10 games under .500. A manager in Baseball doesn't have the same control over the game that a coach in basketball and football do.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

College baseball is hard to coach. You recruit tons of players that will never play for you. You can have your players transfer without having to sit out (at least before this year). And the talent level tends to equal out. Truly dominant CFB and CBB teams rarely lose to lesser teams. It happens fairly regularly in baseball

4. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Could you also say that high school baseball would be hard to coach because players would quit on you or you might have to ask a player to leave your program that can't cut it as far as work ethic and discipline go?

Wouldn't you think that Tony Gwynn would be able to get the best players that aren't going pro and get the best out of those players? Coaching is tricky, I have seen terrible coaches who have won beause they had talent. I have seen really good coaches lose because their players lacked talent and/or heart. People normally judge a coach on his/her won/loss record because they do not come to practice and see how the program is run, and see how the correct things are taught but not executed in the game. They just see the game. But I do believe when a good coach has good/self-motivated players that is when special seasons happen.