1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Too many books!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jul 30, 2016.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay I was wrong. I love books but I have collected way too many I cannot hope to read them all in my lifetime. Instead they have taken me away from THE BOOK. Some books are valuable but THE BOOK is the most valuable.

Many here warned me about obsessive book buying but I failed to listen. Don't get me wrong I love books but the fact is I have way too many books.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, there is no such thing as too many books.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Smyth

Smyth Active Member

The Project Gutenberg website has over 50,000 free books. With far more great books than anyone could ever read, for free, why does anyone spend money on the trash that fills up Best Seller lists?

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those who aspire to the status of cultured individuals visit bookstores with trepidation, overwhelmed by the immensity of all they have not read. They buy something that they've been told is good, make an unsuccessful attempt to read it, and when they have accumulated half a dozen unread books, feel so bad that they are afraid to buy more.
    In contrast, the truly cultured are capable of owning thousands of unread books without losing their composure or their desire for more.
    "Every private library is a reading plan."​

From "So Many Books, Reading and Publishing in an Age of Abundance", by Gabriel Zaid

• Like Like x 1
  6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not think books by John MacArthur are trash.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love books but they take up allot of space!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Makes me think of Beevor's The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939. It's been on my shelf unread for a decade or so. So many groups, so many acronyms, it just lost me. I should have just bought Homage to Catalonia.

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prior to my retirement I had well over 10,000 titles in my library. When we moved I liquidated all titles I could get on Kindle or via Project Gutenberg (online) or the Sage Digital Library (CD_ROMs), or Google Books with the exception of rare and out of print classics.

There is no such thing as "too many books." The only danger is lacking the discernment to avoid being captive of the last book you read.

Too many Christians read a book and then jump on that book's subject matter as their current hobby horse. Then they read another book and jump on that hobby horse. And on and on and on while never thinking for themselves.

When I discuss something with someone I don't want to know what Calvin says, or what MacArthur says, or what Pink says. I want to know what YOU have to say, and why? (And "because Calvin/MacArthur/Pink says so" is not an acceptable answer!) :D

There are two types of people in the world. Those who read book and those who write them. I would rather talk with the people who write them. :)

10. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I take your point, but the fact is that most of the writers I would like to talk to are dead — Augustine, Francis of Assisi, Savaronola (maybe, because he might want to burn me), Aquinas, Luther, Calvin, Milton, Bunyan, Gill, Clarke, Marx, Chesterfield, MacDonald, C.S. Lewis, Bonhoeffer, Barth, etc.

In addition, there are only a few people with truly original ideas, but there are many who have spent years studying the original thinkers and have important things to say about their insights.They deserve an audience.

#10 rsr, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  11. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I assumed you would understand I only talk to living people. But maybe I will be able to talk to the others after I join their ranks. :)

Although I have to admit I have had some very nice discussions with the voices in my head, but I am not sure if they should be classified as living or dead. :D :D :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reminds me of a book shop in Marquette, Michigan.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Get a iPhone 6S plus. Battery life is terrible on Droids.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, you might want to look up the battery capacity of the Motorola Droid Turbo (my phone) before you go spouting off such nonsense. Or take a look at how many Androids beat iPhones for battery life.

http://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I have is personal experience with a friend of mine who bought two Droids and they both had terrible battery life and he went to the iPhone which has better battery life.

16. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I have is a scientific method of rating phone batteries by an impartial source. That beats the accounts of two friends (who probably bought an Android phone with a small battery.)

My phone can get through a day and a half of heavy use before I have to plug it in. I routinely get 5 to 6 hours of screen-on time.

17. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The venerable dead are waiting in my library to entertain me and relieve me from the nonsense of surviving mortals."
    Samuel Davies

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually one of the phones had a big battery. Your particular Droid may get good battery life but not all do. My IPhone 6 gets excellent battery life.

19. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock

20. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Each book is different no matter what. And that sometimes newer does not always mean better. But hope you can find people that will take in your collection. Love libraries as well. Good luck.