1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Took Up Golf

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Nicholas25, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

I have started playing the sport. I played Monday and hit some solid shots along with the horrible ones you would expect from a beginner, but I had a great time and felt good about the evening on the course.

I went yesterday (Thursday) and was TERRIBLE. I was swinging and missing, and hit the ball on the ground most of the time. When I did hit it in the air I pushed it way right.

I am swinging way to hard and I know it but I can't seem to slow down and be smooth through the ball. I am also pulling my head and shoulders off the ball. I can't seem to make myself stay down through the ball and extend. It's like I am short arming the ball and like I said, yesterday I couldn't even get the ball in the air. I was terrible but it was only my second time really playing. I can tell I have never played because I feel very robotic, nothing feels natural right now. I have to think about everything.

Any advice, comments, personal experiences, anything, help???

2. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

make sure you get with someone that teaches you a good grip - and then hold it just tight enough that you dont let go of the club. Most beginners hold the club to tightly. I also find that most beginners stand to close to the ball, and try to lift the ball into the air. Stand far enough away that you can extend your arms and hit down on the ball - the loft of the club will get it up.

Dont get to frustrated, I can shoot in the 80s one day and shoot 105 the next - its is golf, or on those bad days flog - there is a reason that there is a book out there called a great walk spoiled! but try to have fun anyway!

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I don't play golf because Christians shouldn't use the kind of words that golf seems to elicit. ;)

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Nicholas25 writes:

Kill it before it moves!

:laugh: :laugh: :tongue3: :smilewinkgrin:

Ed

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Nicholas25 writes:

Uh- take up badmitton?? :laugh: :wavey: :saint: :smilewinkgrin:

Ed

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Duck if you hear, "FOUR!" :wavey: :laugh: :laugh:

7. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

I thought it interesting that the google add at the bottom of this thread was for caddychicks. book your caddy online.

not to sure about that one.:smilewinkgrin: :tongue3: perhaps one should :praying: about that first.

8. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think golf is altogether fitting for a Believer to play. After all, it is "holy." (Or is that "holey.")

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

It's probably more holey than righteous!

Ed

10. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Hiya Nick,

It's funny you started this thread now.. I just went to the driving range for the 1st time this past Friday. I loved it.

I have a friend that plays and he is going to train me. I also have a member of our church that says he will help me in my game.

Both of them told me to NOT buy clubs, unless they are used at a yard sale or something. They say that you don't really know what you like, or want in the way of clubs, so play with some until you get the hang of it, and then buy some.

I just bought some on Saturday at a flea market, I got a whole set of Mcgregor clubs, plus a bag, and a cart for $20 :) There were many places at the flea market that had clubs, one tent, there was about 40 sets. The owner of the tent was a 92 yo that still played to this day. He said he loved it and it was part of what kept him young.

Next week, they are both busy, but I plan on going to the driving range to get used to these clubs, and then we are all going to go play some.

Good luck!

Jamie

11. Brice

Brice New Member

:thumbs: I love the game. I've been playing for about 4 years and look forward to playing whenever I get the chance. Not real good, but I give it my best shot. Shoot about 95 on average... Good luck on your new sport.

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Actually I enjoy the sport of golf very much. I played Saturday and shot a 69.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Next Saturday, I plan on playing the back nine! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

13. Brice

Brice New Member

I've been there done that and don't want to do it again. :smilewinkgrin:

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Heh! Heh! :tongue3:

Ed

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Golf is the best...absolute best.
    Let me suggest some lessons. Indispensable.
    Also, go out and get "Golf For Dummies" by Gary McCord. It's available as a book and as a DVD.
    I'll write more later.

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Amazingly, it was written by Gary McCord. I've always liked watching him and listening to him as a good common 'tater, who thinks he's really a commentator. :rolleyes: :tongue3: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

17. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I'll be praying for your forgiveness for the language you will be using!:laugh:

18. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

TOMVOLS:

How much did lessons help you and how many did you take? Also, what price did you pay for lessons? I am horrible right now but I am super competitive so I want to atleast get decent, and as hard as I work I know I can do that if I have correct practice.

I know that if I keep practicing with bad habits and fundamentals that I can't get better!!

I curious what lessons did for your golf game.

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Ya' might want to ask Tiger what good lessons are worth. I'm sure he could give a hint or two. Note that he has now just won his 12th major :yawn: :sleeping_2:(15th if you count the US Amateurs) and certainly looks like he has a good chance to overtake Jack Nicklaus at 18 (20 with Ams), if he keeps playing the way he is these days.

Ed

20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

It is best to get lessons early - before it is difficult to unlearn bad habbits . . .

;)