1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Top 5 College Football Programs

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been there and while you could argue they are almost always "one step away"... they have some of the best facilities around and a great stadium to play in.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Been there many times myself. Lots of schools have nice facilities. Whitewashed tombs, though, if they don't sustain a good winning tradition.

Speaking of being there, I was 20 rows up at Neyland Saturday. Bumped into Sterling Marlin in the concession line.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Scott,

I think it is pretty clear that you do not have ND on your list anywhere because you simply just don't like ND. That is your opinion and you are welcome to it. However, I do not think any rational unbiased opinion would keep ND out of atleast the top 10 programs right now.

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't like ND true enough but if the reason given by Tom is valid for Clemson then it is likewise valid for ND. Weis had an overperformance year. This year they've played precisely two good football teams and got destroyed by both of them.

They come nowhere near the programs I listed for putting great players into the NFL. Their most recent history has been to burn through decent coaches like the one currently turning Washington around.

Holtz, the last successful coach there, didn't run an honest program anywhere he coached.

ND by a wide margin is the most overrated program in the country unless you go back more than 20 years. Please take their record over that period and prove that they belong in my top 5 list anymore than the schools I put there.

FTR, I despise both SC and UF at least as much as ND and put them in. I also don't have any particular heart for UM, OSU, OU, or Texas.

Like I justified, these schools win more than ND plus have good facilities, great fans, and put lots of players into the NFL. ND wouldn't be on my list if I were 18 and could go anywhere I wanted.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I like your list, but would substitute Notre Dame with Michigan.

6. PastorSBC1303

Clemson and ND do not even belong in the same sentence.

7. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Texas, Florida, OSU, Mich, FL St (everyone eliminated them for just one season?)

By the way, A&M is a special place with a special program. Have you ever seen Fields of Glory where it highlights a team and stadium? A&M impressed me more than any other one I saw. They gather every night before the game and practice cheers to throw off the other opponent. And literally up to 50000 fans show up and do this every single home game.

8. PastorSBC1303

AF, how in the world can you not have USC on your list?

A&M may be a special place, but they are not a top 5 program. Sorry.

9. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    USC would be in that group as well. But I don't think there is much separation in the top 10 or so...

And I never said A&M was a top 5 program but they are in the top 20 easy...

10. PastorSBC1303

The majority of people here agree that USC is head and shoulders above everyone right now.

I wouldn't have A&M in the top 20. I am not sure they are even in the top 30 right now.

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your question was about the top 5 schools now, right? ND since Holtz has been no more successful than Clemson, have they?

Right now if those two teams went head to head, I'd take Clemson hands down.

As much as I dislike ND, I actually respect Weis' ability. But as I mentioned before, they overachieved last year and ended up with a weak schedule this year except for the two teams that ran them off the field. GT is way too inconsistent to be called a quality win.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So much for objectivity. ;)

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is my understanding that this thread is about programs, not about how they are performing on the field this year or last year. I can understand how people can differ on a top five, but to diss the idea of Oklahoma being in anyone's top five is really silly.

14. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I might have miss read this, but I was giving what I believe to be the top 5 teams on the field, that would be in my mind the top 5 programs of today. In my mind the top 5 would change every year.

LSU, Tn., ND and Fl. have there ups and downs. All is proven on the field and these 4 are lacking this year, but I believe LSU could play anybody well if not beat them, ND and Tn are a lot of hype today and Fl. is smoking mirrors today.

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually you know I like UT... OTOH, if I were a recruit I would be attracted to:
    1) playing in front of 100k plus every home game and in the SEC in road games
    2) UT's football facilities
    3) a comparatively stable coaching staff that is top 5 in putting guys into the NFL
    4) a very good winning tradition both recently and historically
    5) fan fervor and loyalty

16. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very solid program over the past several years.
    And you want to call UT and ND overhyped or UF "smoke and mirrors"?

When was the last time Michigan won a national title or was even a real serious contender? OU due to the weakness of the Big12 got two probably undeserved opportunites within the past few years... and lost both.
    I despise them but they are the premier program right now.

Probably on the way down under Miles. Otherwise, no program in America has done less with more than LSU. They are probably the most talented team in the country this year... and choked away two games that should've been won.

17. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I'm a Fl. fan but have seen them play three times this year, LSU, Ga.. and South Carolina, they didn't look good.

Saw Tn. play two times this year and they didn't look to hot either, South Carolina and Fl.

South Carolina does not have the players that Fl. and Tn. have and beat them last year and came near this year. If they are that good Steve Spurrier is a better coach that the Duke people thinks he is.

Who has ND played this year? They are like FSU, the teams they played and beat were not that good. They beat Army, Navy, Air Force, Purdue and North Carolina. 5 wins for anyone.

Michigan is where Fl. was for years (until Steve Spurrier came in as coach), lose 1 to 3 games a year, but plays good ball.

I think USC has had the best run over the past 5 years but I believe Ohio State is the best team in the country.

18. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The basic question there would be "why". Considering how the SEC on whole performed against both good and bad OOC opponents... I'd say the margin for error in the SEC is much smaller.

Spurrier is one of the most creative minds in college football. He will soon have the players... woe unto the SEC.

I think we agreed on that.

With the exception of last year... that's where UT is but a little better for Fulmer's entire tenure.

I actually like OSU better than USC... but if USC doesn't choke against UCLA we'll probably have to hear the googooing over Carroll for another year. I don't like him. I don't like them... but realistically, I think they are a better team than OSU.

OSU has a fine team but they caught Texas early and the Big 10 isn't exactly itself this year.

19. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'd have them in my top seven or eight. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying they shouldn't be in anyone's top 5, just that they aren't in mine.

So who from my top 5 would you bump and replace with Oklahoma?

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Scott wrote:
    Like it or not, ND will now have two consecutive trips to a BCS game. Has Clemson had one? If recruits have a choice between ND and Clemson, who do you think they'll pick? Ask Harrison Smith if he'd rather stay in his own backyard or go play for Weis.

I can't stand ND and have a soft spot for Clemson, but Notre Dame is taking advantage of the golden spoons jammed its way...for now. Next year will be the test for Weis. Will he be another Willingham?