1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Top 5 College Football Programs

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Nov 25, 2006.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

So the years that OSU was getting beaten every year by UM , every big time recruit had OSU on their short list?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know, and that's not the question I asked. What do you mean by "overall program"? In order to defend or denounce people's selections, there has to be a formula to base and grade what an "overall program" is.

I don't have time to look back at recruiting classes for the Cooper era, but if my memory is correct, they were right up there every year, so the answer to your question would be "yes". I recall quite a few making it to the NFL from Cooper's era, too.

#62 webdog, Nov 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2006
  3. PastorSBC1303

That question was answered on one of the first pages of this thread. If you are a big time recruit and can go anywhere to play football in the country what are the top 5 programs on your list. It does not mean who are the top 5 teams this year in the polls, or anything like that. It is about overall programs. Right now, clearly OSU is one of those programs. Probably the only program right now in better shape is USC.

How can you say you don't know basically, but then turn around and say it is a 'yes' ? Let's just be honest, you would have OSU up there as a top 5 program every year and at all times because you are a die hard OSU fan. Nothing wrong with that at all. Also, talent going into the NFL does not make for a top 5 program either.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is this based on average over a certain time period? If so, how long?
    I didn't say "I don't know". I said if "my memory is correct...". It might not be, and that's fine, but my choices have nothing to do with being a "die hard fan". If this were the case, I would not have chosen Michigan. My choices were based on who I believe to have the top 5 "overall programs" in college football, this year, and in recent years. Rivalries, NFL players, recruiting, High School backgrounds, State, facilities, TV exposure, merchandising, head coach, system all play into it, IMO.

#64 webdog, Nov 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2006
  5. PastorSBC1303

You are trying to make this way more complicated than it really is. It is based on right now, today, 2006. If you are a top recruit right now in the country there are certain teams that are going to be on your short list....USC...OSU...Texas (IMO these are the clear top 3). There are some others up there close in contention to round out the top 5. Michigan is not there right yet. As someone else pointed out, it is pretty hard to come into a season with your coach on the hot seat and be a top 5 program.

Oh ok, if you say so.

Personally, I think that all of us allow our loyalties to a certain team to color our vision.

So then are Harvard/Yale...Army/Navy all top 5 programs? :smilewinkgrin:

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

This isn't as cut and dried as it might seem if you bring the "Top recruit" equation into play. A top recruit who is a QB is going to have a different decision making process than a DL. Some schools not mentioned have offensive gurus that would make their school more palatable. Some schools would be more attractive because of a lack of competition for playing time.

I prefer to just look at it this way, the way it was originally asked: Right now, who are the top five programs in the nation? Some subjectivity is involved, but some facts just play in.

Let's not make this too hard, but let's not get surprised when there are difficulties because so many variables come into play.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Trust me...I'm not as big of an OSU fan as you think. It's easy to be a fan of a team that always win. I'm a Browns fan. Much harder to be a fan of a team that always loses. I like the challenge... :)

I agree with Tom that it's actually more complicated than it is presented. Certain schools specialize in certain positions and offenses / defenses to make recruiting not as clear cut as may seem. That's why I was thinking you would have to look at track record over a period of time...and not one year...to choose the top five "overall" programs today.

8. PastorSBC1303

A great thing about sports and discussing sports on a board. :thumbs:

9. PastorSBC1303

Believe me I understand. As a lifelong Chicago Cubs fan, I can relate completely. :thumbs:

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's alot of subjectivity based on what you if a recruit would look for.

I'd look for the things I listed along with coaching staff character and stability. I have no particular insights on that even with the Vols. I'm sure Tom knows alot more than I about how they conduct themselves in every day life.

11. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Here's my list of the top 5 programs over the last few years:

1. USC
    2. OSU
    3. Texas
    4. Florida
    5. TIE (Auburn, Oklahoma, LSU, Michigan)

12. SOGOSINGER

SOGOSINGER New Member

Here are my top 5 Programs

1. USC
    2. Ohio State
    3......USC
    4......Ohio State

5. Texas

I think that those 2 schools are miles above everyone else with Texas a distant 3rd. About 10 other schools being right in the mix with Texas, such as: Tennessee & Florida.

If you're a Midwestern recruit- Ohio State
    If you're a Southern Recruit- Florida, Tennesee
    If you're a Western recruit- USC, Texas
    If you're an Eastern recruit- Anywhere away from the East

13. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No order, just my thoughts

Norte Dame - coined as the University of Football in America rightfully so - who else gets a BCS game because of how well they travel?

Florida State - rough year, but so much money it makes God blush and talent pool that is seemingly endless, even made Rutgers a good team this year - gosh darnit we're going to get this thing turned around

Texas - again with the money and talent pool

Ohio State - great program that gets the whole Mid-western mindset

USC - great coach, note: have you ever been to USC, not the easiest place to LIVE much less recuit players to come too. Much, much nicer at UCLA

You also have to consider Nebraska now returning to glory and Oklahoma great program caught some tough breaks

Michigan gets a mention as well

14. mark brandwein

mark brandwein New Member

Ohio State
    Michigan
    USC
    Florida
    Oklahoma