1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Top 50 Churches

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dr. Bob, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Top 50 "most influential" churches in America. Of course, my son's church is #1 - he is in Mississippi with Rick helping with the relief effort right now.

Interesting list. NOT an ifb or ifbX type church in the mix as far as I can see. But more than a third are Baptist. (Might have missed one, not sure). And some influential from the liberal side.

But a survey of pastors/churches came up with this.

Thoughts?

www.thechurchreport.com/content/view/484/32/

2. sovgrace79

sovgrace79 New Member

Dr. Bob,

Isn't #47, Northridge Church, the old Temple Baptist Church that G.B. Vick pastored? Do they still consider themselves IFB?

3. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Interesting that there are 2 father/sons on the list; Charles and Andy Stanley and Ed Young and Ed Young Jr.

Lots of those guys I'd never heard of. I don't know much about Mars Hill, but back in January I heard Rob Bell preach in person, and it was probably the best sermon I ever heard. Very detailed, technical message and he did the whole thing without any notes. I was impressed!

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Interesting list, which I think w've discussed before. I like some of the folks on it, and dislike some others. But concrete is made up of numerous compounds, some of which on thier own appear useless or unappealing.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm concerned that it seems the basis for "influential" is numbers. When a church resembles a sporting event or shopping experience and that is the standard for influential, that is wrong. What about mission work, salvation and evengelism?

6. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Great point webdog [​IMG]

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Webdog, I'm happy to say I agree with you wholeheartedly on this one! :cool:

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The premise was that if the church is not averaging 2k a Sunday, it's not very influential even in its own town, much less on a national basis.

That's probably why my new church planting mission (25 average) was accidentally omitted! [​IMG]

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

What if a church is in a small town, but is still influential in it's area of the world? Too say a church has to have a certain number of people each Sunday to be influential is just wrong. It should be based in the size of their town/city, number of salvations, baptisms, and ministry work, especially outside their walls.
    Nt the bigges numbers win the prize.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Our church is influential in our city although we have just under 200 people and most do not know who we are.

In July we baptized 14 people (an entire family included).
    We have just collected 59 book bags to give to a local school in need with only a note inside telling them that Jesus loved them (no marketing involved).
    We train people to be disciples of Christ.
    We have an excellent children's and youth ministry.
    We provide opportunities for children and adult mission trips (we are in the process of getting something together for the hurricane relief). We go door to door to our immediate neighbors collecting food for the local food bank. We tell them we are praying for the food bank and ask them if there is anything we can pray for them about (no church marketing involved).
    We provide L.I.F.E groups for all ages to grow in Christ.

All this without a building (we rent a theater). I am not boasting about what we are doing, but about what God is doing through us. You don't need big numbers, expensive facilities, or high profile pastors to be influential (although there is nothing wrong with this).

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Wellll. I agree that size is not what should be utilized to count influence.

Especially since a couple of the churches I consider to be marginal in their theology. I know that someone won't like that statement.

However, being called of God, I know that my heart hurts for all of His people that are not shepherded by godly men of God! And people usually gather around strong leaders(hip). Prayerfully, I submit that the churches with better (solid) theology are led by men that are close to God and His call upon their lives.

That does not imply that Dr. Bob with a congregation of 25 is not close to his call. My statement is stating that: "God's people have not gathered around him, yet".

Picture this: 100,000 churches that would make this list would not reach all of the lost that there are in our country RIGHT NOW TODAY. (100,000 times 2,000 = 200,000,000).

I pray that our country will see a revival soon. Our country is DYING AND GOING TO HELL.

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

PS:

Dr. Bob - thank your for the article. It will challenge me to reach His people ...

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

True. However, it seems that we tend to automatically discount church that are over some contrived set size. So, while we say that size should not be a factor, we truly mean that size should should not be factor unless the church is large; then, that church should be summarily discounted. It seems we sometimes are guilty of pew-envy.

14. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

Our son is a member of New Life Church in Colorado Springs, Co. #10, he and his wife are happy there.

As for us, my wife and I have never been a member of such a church. We were members of an American Baptist church in another state. It's membership was over 200 and was doing quite well, it had many different programs during the week and had two Sunday morning services and an evening service. Wednesday evening service plus other programs: youth, single adults, young marrieds, ect. We moved to the state of Wash. About two years ago we heard from a member of that church, they only had 35 members, we were just sick to hear that as it was the church where our two sons grew up.

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

John

I really did not understand what you were saying. I think that I understoond you to say that we discount large churches? Is this what you meant? Could you clarify?

16. bapmom

bapmom New Member

It is an interesting list, though most likely the list would change drastically depending on which 2,000 church leaders you surveyed. Thats why I don't know that I put too much stock in it.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's exactly that I'm saying. We say "size doesn't matter", but we tend to want to discount a church that's large.

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

I see on here sometimes people write off a church because it is large, they can't be godly if they have a lot of people it seems thats an automatic given, but if numbers don't matter, how can those churches be written off?

19. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Interesting that First Baptist of Jackonville, Fl or First Baptist Woodstock, GA didn't make the list.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I also think it's unwise to write off a church only due to it's size. That should only be a small criteria to use, however, when it comes to being labeled influential. I think there is a drastic difference between a Bible preaching church with 10,000 members and a catholic church with 10,000 members.