1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Top Ten Reasons not to join a Reformed Baptist Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Martin Marprelate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am not referencing anyone in particular. The more I study the more I see a Jewish background in scripture and not how so many Americans think they know who have a complete disregard for how a Jew would have understood what was written. How we think and how they thought are often very different. Scripture has seemingly contradictory statements but they are not contradictory when interpreted as a Jew would have.

From Walking In The Dust of Rabbi Jesus by Tverberg on page 132, "Marvin Wilson notes that often the biblical text uses "block logic" rather than the "linear logic" that we are more used to. Linear logic uses statements that build on each other in a tightly argued fashion: if a = b, and b = c, then a = c. Block logic groups together ideas that may come from opposite perspectives - such as from a human perspective and then a divine perspective. For instance, Jesus said, "Whoever comes to me I will never drive away," yet no one can come "unless the Father who sent me draws him" (John 6:37, 44)."

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Looks like someone forgot to work on a page. :) That's what would come up if you had the "fake content fill" of web page creators.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good points. The commentaries can be downloaded at http://www.ccel.org/ccel/calvin/commentaries.i.html

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So because it is not explained to you to your individual satisfaction you dismiss it...... can you show me exactly how the Trinity comes together scripturally? No mystery there right.

"there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy" WS

#64 Earth Wind and Fire, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2012
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh really.....funny....like speaking in tongues...:laugh:

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What a disappointment...at least he did not deny the trinity:thumbs:

he denied about everything else, did not address the actual teaching,probably went home and told the wife he did a great job....:laugh:

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK,

let me say this....seriously....I cannot read a persons heart, we know only God can....This man did not deny the trinity:thumbs:
    However...he denied about everything else....
    As he preached this message, between the 12-15 minute mark..listen to what he said.....he could just talk to a sinner and get the sinner to believe is what he said....no mention of God giving the sinner a new heart, enabling the sinner...he goes to eph 2....and says that they evil calvinists say the Spirit must quicken the dead sinner......Hello....This is exactly what the text says....he claims it is not necessary.

I do not believe the Spirit of truth is having this man deny the scriptures...it is all of His flesh.

Unless he repents of opposing truth he will stand at the white throne saying...
    I cannot believe in a God who chooses one and does not choose another, as he says a few times in this message. My god does not do that! Indeed...but his god will not save him when he hears depart from me ,you who work sin, I never knew you.

Salvation is not a multiple choice.....have it your way propositon....it is God given....in your attempts to fight against what you believe is error...you do a better job of trying to engage the scriptures than this person.

There was much error here....:type:

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

What unsaved Jews thought,and all this second temple judaisim ideas have nothing to do with the scriptures being revealed by God.....all there thinking led them to crucify Jesus. What matters is God's revealation of His truth...not what natural men ,thought or did not think.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen Amen Amen

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Honey...I beat those [edit] DoG belivin Calvinists into submission ROFL

#70 Earth Wind and Fire, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2012
  11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No he didn't, and no reason to doubt his salvation.
    Only as a dyed-in-the-wool Calvinist would see it. We have been through most of these points before on various threads in the theology forum.
    This is the problem with you (i.e. the Calvinist). It is my way or the Highway. You don't consider what the Bible says other than your pet verses. When the jailer came to Paul and Silas and asked him how to be saved, what did Paul say:

Acts 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved.
    --Paul did not talk about the new heart, the inner working of the Spirit, etc., either. His message was to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, just like you heard in that message. What is so different?
    Jesus didn't explain that to Nicodemus when teaching about the New Birth.
    Paul didn't explain that to the Philippian jailer.
    Paul didn't explain those things in Romans 10 where salvation is clearly explained, and neither in 1Cor.15:1-4 where the gospel is defined.
    Like I said: You want it "Your way or the highway."
    That is because the Calvinists have a warped definition of "dead." "Death" in the Bible simply means "separation." It does not mean "corpse," or "lifelessness," as so many like to define it. It simply means "separated" as in separated from God. The unsaved is reconciled to God by the Holy Spirit and thus given life. He already had a spirit. Now his spirit is joined with the Holy Spirit in some unexplicable way, and he is reconciled to God. That is being made alive. There was nothing that was actually "dead," in the sense that we usually think of the word. We were simply separated from God.
    He doesn't deny the Scripture. He uses biblical definitions instead of Reformed Theology's made-up definitions.
    Are you God??
    Again, a needless judgment not based on Scripture. You will give account to God as much as he will.
    Your error is not believing what he is trying to teach--that whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

That whosoever shall believe on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

That whosoever believes on him shall be saved.

You don't want to believe in the "whosoever's of the Bible.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You as well as him are in denial.
    calvinists believe all the whosoever will verses...even the ones that are not there like jn 3:16
    Spiritual death...the word is necrous...corpse.
    The unsaved have the Holy Spirit....really????what are you talking about?

You friend did not mention the Holy Spirit.

Calvinists consider all the verses...you cannot face this...so you make your false claim.
    His denial of biblical election is classic. You agree with His error so of course you are not going to admit it.

Keep in mind DHK....I listened to your link, unlike several you said you would not listen to...you did not have time.:laugh:

The excuse that the covenant teaching is "man made" is very shallow and unbiblical in itself.
    It is God's way, or the highway...and i am very doubtful of any who reject God's grace as historically taught and believed by the professing church.

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The man had no substance to His fruitless argument.Like you said before...this man trying to debate/discuss with someone like Sinclair Ferguson would be like a tsunami of truth washing away his groundless claims.
    Ferguson is very gracious...but I doubt he would put up with much of this Spirit denying heresy. He says he can just convince sinners to believe....never mentions the need of the Spirit to do anything to the sinner.
    Goes to Eph 2...but then denies that God needs to quicken the sinner,despite paul writing that in eph2???? unbelievable:laugh:

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My position on these verses is completely biblical.You take 2 pet3:9 out of the book and try to make it stand on its own,completely missing the whole point of the verse.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: There you go again ICONO, trying to do the right thing by hearing the guy out & then pointing out his error....shame on you actually for doing that & then criticizing DHK! My word, only a (I will quote DHK here) " Died in the wool CALVINIST" would do such a horrendous thing :eek: ......
    and all I gotta say in closing is THANK YOU for cutting through all the nonsense & telling the truth :thumbs:

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is tough to handle opinions with any sense of integrity. So give us your understanding of the biblical definition of election starting with the OT and then the NT and how it was used in the secular world.

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The biblical view of Election starts with the Covenant Of Redemption among the members of The Godhead. This takes place before the Ot...in fact before the world was. Creation could not take place unless God had Jesus as mediator was already in place to be the surety of the covenant..Heb7;22...
    The fallen sinners that God elected were flesh and blood, so Jesus took part of the same....hebrews 2:9-16.
    after creation and the fall,God introduced his covenant to mankind...we read about this in Moses writings.
    In Deut 7...God elects out from the nation of Israel His remnant.....In Isa 40-54...The Servant of Jehovah is declared to be God's elect servant...
    In the Nt we learn that we are elect in Him.

jl dagg...

http://www.founders.org/library/dagg_vol1/bk7c4.html#sec1

This is the biblical teaching....That is all I am concerned with:thumbsup: here are some more links;

http://www.founders.org/library/boyce1/ch29.html

http://www.kenscustom.com/bible/election.htm

http://www.pbministries.org/books/pink/Election/index.htm

#77 Iconoclast, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2012
  18. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Which book of the Bible did JL Dagg write?

John

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The same word used for election was also used in society. So election extends far more than just religious "theories" as noted in one link.

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As a pastor and teacher he was not called upon by God to write scripture....God had others do that.he was called upon to labor in the word and doctrine,to help others who want to learn....I think I read something about that.....let me see:
    John...you can resist all you want...but God has put pastors and teachers in His church. many of these servants spent their lifetimes in the scripture to help us. Trusted guides and teachers are to read with caution, but not despised. Did you read the link??? Go back and read it....you will learn something if you are teachable. You can offer correction and disagree with him if you want....but to be quite honest...this will be wilful iqnorance.

Can you teach any of what these men teach? can you offer an alternative?

Take election for example.....write your own explanation for the biblical teaching, and improve upon what dagg offers....do it right here in this thread.

Then take the topics discussed in the 1689 confession of faith....write your own understanding of it in your own words ...I will print them out and compare....let's see who knows what the bible teaches.

Do you just despise the teaching so much ,that you can not learn from these men....or are you just too lazy to read through and work on improving your knowledge of Divine truth.
    you say you believe the bible....good, so did Dagg. lets see who knows what the bible teaches...dagg wrote down his understanding...now this is the time where you are being asked so to speak.......to put up, or shut up.....I think that is how the expression goes!