1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Top Ten Reasons Why Men Should Not Be Ordained

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by jaigner, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

We don't go by culture. I am a missionary. I won't say to what nations. But if I went to the nation in Africa where the women dressed topless would it then be proper for me to require my wife to do the same? This is what you suggest--follow the culture.

I don't follow culture. I follow the Word of God, as does our church.
    And yes, we encourage and teach the wearing of head-coverings.

2. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

There are places in Paul's writings where even he distinguishes what is coming from God and what is coming from him (Paul). That's how I interpret his writing about women in the church.

The ancient Celtic Church gave women equality with men in church leadership; they were not influenced by Roman culture or the Roman church until the Synod of Whitby.

All of this, plus the fact that there were women deacons and prophets, plus the fact that women were the first to see the resurrected Christ and had to convince Jesus's male apostles of the fact, leads me to believe that women are not restricted from teaching men nor from being pastors.

And to add to all that: the fact that there are many women convinced that God did indeed call them to pastoral ministry, with evidence of that call resulting in much good and fruitful service, is vindication that God calls both men and women to be pastors, as well as teachers. I would never have the audacity to tell such a woman that she was mistaken, and I certainly wouldn't say that to God!!

Based on that, I can say that I'm glad God is in charge and not some of His followers.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

So you read through your Bible and decide:
    1. I don't like that doctrine--Chalk it up to culture.
    2. That doctrine is okay--easy enough to obey--we'll practice it.
    3. Nope, throw that one out the Bible. Hmmm, where did I put my scissors??
    4. No, I can't live with that one either--too cultural.

Obedience is sacrificed on the altar of "culture." The Bible teaches no such thing. A few years ago it was in our culture for girls to wear miniskirts. Do you have daughters? Did you allow them to flow with the culture? Our culture is pushing for the legalization of marijuana, and some states for the legal unions of homosexuals. That is our culture today. Are you in agreement with our culture??

4. lilyvalley

lilyvalley New Member

I'm sure there sare some people who go about it this way, but I've never met any evangelical Christians who believe women can be in leadership say anything like that. I don't think Michael is doing that, either. It's all about how we are to interpret each passage to apply it to our lives today.

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

7. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Exactly right; thank you.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

This statement, though sounding good on the surface, is man-centered. Let's do one better and stay God-centered throughout the process.

It doesn't matter what we interpret Scripture to say. It matters what Scripture says. And the Holy Spirit--who inspires the whole ball of wax anyhow--is perfectly capable of handling the interpretation side of the equation.

9. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok just as I said the pro women Preachers bring up culture all you need to do now is follow is mention Dorcas and other women in the bible such as. Romans 16:7
    or Acts 21 :8-9
    or
    Romans 16-1
    or Col 4:15
    I'm actually suprised you haven't as yet brought these up. But from my experience this is the general route that is taken by people supporting female pastors.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

12. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Nowhere have I suggested to follow culture. I've suggested that your country has a corrupt culture, not just America. Also, I believe Romans 12:1-2 tells us differently, and thus I reject your unfortunate remark regarding my beliefs.

For some reason you feel you must add to what I've said, act like it's true, then keep building on the same false premise.

13. lilyvalley

lilyvalley New Member

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If the Word of God is our standard (and it is), tell me, what culture is not corrupt?
    So why the ugly and needless remark?

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

16. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Hallelujah! I've seen the light! God doesn't call Catholic women or fundamentalist Baptist women as pastors, but He does call Methodist women, Episcopal women, Presbyterian women, Lutheran women, moderate Baptist women, Charismatic women, Pentecostal women, Disciples of Christ women, Quaker women, Nazarene women, and many, many other women as pastors, and He blesses their faithful service with multitudes of souls added to His Kingdom.

So, while the former can be satisfied that they are keeping women in their place, the latter can rejoice in the liberty and equality in Christ that they allow their women to have while not trying to tell God whom He can and cannot call.

So, I thank my fundamentalist brethren (no pun intended) for helping me to see the two distinct classes of women within Christendom. :)

17. billwald

billwald New Member

Maybe the Bible was anticipating climate change and increased UV radiation. Christians will wear head protection and the heathen will die of cancer.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No, all of those churches are being disobedient to the Scriptures and why I will not become a member of any of those. I WAS Presbyterian in a very conservative Presbyterian church but we left that denomination. I thank God for a church that does not put women under the feet but instead allows women to minister with their God-given talents within the guidelines of Scripture.

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Any church who ordains a woman or sodomite to the pulpit is in direct rebellion against God. God has given commands who are to be ordained.
    He did not ask for our imput,or "enlightened ideas"

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me. (Romans 16:7)

7. Andronicus and Junia--or, as it might be, "Junias," a contracted form of "Junianus"; in this case, it is a man's name. But if, as is more probable, the word be, as in our version, "Junia," the person meant was no doubt either the wife or the sister of Andronicus. (Jamieson, Faucett and Brown)
    --Either way, man or woman, the woman is under the husband, and it would be the husband addressed and the woman's name given as if an honorable mention. It is like addressing a letter today: Pastor and Mrs.___, but normally it is the Pastor that the letter is actually addressed to, his work and his ministry.

As for Dorcas, the people loved her for her good works.
    And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him. And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy. (Acts 21:8-9)
    --This is unusual. But we note that the gift of prophecy has ceased. It is no longer a function of the local church today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.