1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Top Ten Translations

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by jaigner, Mar 15, 2011.

1. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't go past
    1. KJV

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can invent contradictions in your mind and claim they are in my words till the cows come home, Sir, but unless you claim to be a mind reader, you have no idea what I think about the importance of sticking with the intended meanings of words.

Folks, do not let others tell you what you meant when you spoke your words, they are simply trying to bully you under the cover of PC. Stand firm in the faith.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

That is so much bull that the horns are left sticking out.

You are the one who is re-defining 'liberal', as it applies in theological discussions. And this is a theological discussion, not a political one.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are no Martin Luther Van.

Based on your logic is the NLTse more liberal than the NIV?

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For once Rippon we can agree, I borrowed his phrase, but only a person with an agenda would equate that with a claim to sameness.

As for your second question, I do not know. I use, and they are here on my desk, a NASB study bible, an ESV study bible, and a NIV study bible. On my bookshelf I have my old trusty KJV. I look at verses in the NKJV and HCSB and NET and others on line. The best I can come to addressing your question is the NASB is more literal than the NLT and therefore the NLT is more liberal than the NASB. :)

BTW, in my copy of The American Heritage Dictionary, when I looked up liberal, guess what I found at definition number 7. Not literal, loose or approximate, i.e a liberal translation. Who knew? :)

#65 Van, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2011
  6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Ok then if it makes you feel better- you're right according to the dictionary, but wrong theologically. :smilewinkgrin:

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't answer my question. I asked:"Based on your logic,is the NLTse more liberal than the NIV?"

Mexdeaf is more generous than I am. You are just plain wrong about using the word liberal to categorize the ESV in contradistiction to the NASBU.

Are you aware that there is a cross-pollination among various translations?A number of translators have worked on a variety of versions. Where does that leave your theory? That's right...on shaky ground.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right again, you must be on a roll, I did not answer your question, but I did provide a reason for not answering, I said I did not know the answer.

But your roll ended with a thud, I was not wrong, the ESV is more liberal (meaning less literal) than the NASB.

The ESV is wrong literally in its translation of Revelation 13:8 and Matthew 23:13. In Revelation 13:8, the ESV translates "apo" as before which is an errant rendering, and in Matthew 23:13, they translate "are entering" based on a "vp present tense Greek word (eiserchomenous)" as would enter. It is a great translation, but I like the NASB better because it is less liberal. :)

Here is the list of the my top ten translations.

1995 NASB - this is the one I study and rely on for grammar.
    NIV - I do not read very well, so this is the one I read as I try to "abide" in His Word.
    HCSB - this one provides an excellent cross-check, if it agrees with the NASB I feel confident the rendering is sound.
    ESV - Provides a different take based on different presumptions as to what is being said.
    YLT - After arriving at the big idea from the more friendly versions, this one helps to understand how the translators arrived at their more readable versions.
    NKJV - vastly improved over the KJV as far as bringing the language up to date, but still based on a different Greek text mix than most other modern versions.
    KJV - I still find this one provides the very best translation of some difficult passages.
    NET - this one provides the apparatus, so you can see the thinking of the translators.
    NLT - yet another take on what the translators think the passage is saying.
    Darby (NT) - great example of one mans view of the text, as opposed to translation by committee.

#68 Van, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2011
  9. sdonahue1

sdonahue1 New Member

1. KJV. I have recently returned to it, and am very happy with it.
    2. NASBU
    3. Amplified
    4. ESV
    5. CEB This is exciting reading. Keep pen handy to cross out such atrocities as 'Human One' for 'Son of Man' and other inclusive travesties.
    6. Gods Word
    7. NKJV. It just can't beat the 1769 KJV
    8. RSV
    9. NEB
    10. NLT 07. Keep pen handy to correct inclusive language biases

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ladies and gentlemen! Introducing the NEW Noah Webster -- Van. You have personally changed the commonly accepted meaning of a word. The real test is whether or not your unique twist will be welcomed by anyone other than your friends and family...Yes the verdict is now in. So sorry Van,liberal in your sense has not exactly been received very favorably. Nice try though.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm surprised you listed the CEB as #5 if you hate it so much.The same goes for the NLTse.Why did you list it in your top 10?

You are aware that the ESV uses inclusive language at times,aren't you? And GWT uses it a lot more. Do you really like God's Word translation? Your list is puzzling.

12. sdonahue1

sdonahue1 New Member

I don't hate the CEB. I keep a ballpoint pen handy for correction of politically-correct, inclusive language, biased translations. Look how the NLT2 louses up the Book of Proverbs with the, 'my child' mess. Not in MY NLT. Mine says, My son' wherever it needed to be corrected.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please answer my questions that I posed in post number 71.

14. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CBA Best Sellers

April 2011 Bible Translations Based upon dollar sales

1 New International Version various publishers
    2 King James Version various publishers
    3 New King James Version various publishers
    4 New Living Translation Tyndale
    5 English Standard Version Crossway
    6 Holman Christian Standard Bible B&H Publishing Group
    7 New American Standard Bible update various publishers
    8 Reina Valera 1960 (Spanish) American Bible Society and licensees
    9 The Message Eugene Peterson, NavPress
    10 New International Readers Version Zondervan

April 2011 Bible Translations Based upon unit sales

1 New International Version various publishers
    2 New Living Translation Tyndale
    3 King James Version various publishers
    4 New King James Version various publishers
    5 English Standard Version Crossway
    6 Reina Valera 1960 (Spanish) American Bible Society and licensees
    7 Holman Christian Standard Bible B&H Publishing Group
    8 The Message Eugene Peterson, NavPress
    9 New American Standard Bible update various publishers
    10 New International Readers Version Zondervan

15. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

It surprised me that the NIV was the top seller, so I clicked on the link to find out what "CBA" is. I couldn't find the "un-abbreviated" form there, but by scrolling right to the bottom, I read:
    This list is based on actual sales in Christian retail stores in the United States through February 26, 2011
    So the figures only refer to sales in the USA, and I assume CBA is something like "Christian Boosellers of America."

I tried unsuccessfully to find comparable figures for the UK.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NIV has been in the top spot in America for decades -- with CBA figures and other forms of accounting. I think it really is "international" as its title suggests. The NIV Explanation Bible is a huge seller in South Korea.

The 2011 NIV will continue its legacy.

17. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I agree with you pretty much down the line. I do add the RSV original to the bottom just as a "reference" when I study although the ESV is almost word-for-word except bout every fourth verse. I rate the NASB as my highest to study seriously and the ESV seems to bring out things that I don't catch in others, but every question I've had about its accuracy was answered by comparing it to the Greek and it stands the test pretty well---so, it gives a slightly different English approach to its translation which is accurate, but not the same old copies of old translations.

You did good.

18. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Why do you think the ESV only ranks #5 in terms of sales? The translation first came out in 2001. After 10 years, I would have expected it to rank much higher.

19. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Wasn't it the NIV that W.A. Criswell burned from the pulpit back in the day, or is that a rumor?

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's probably the latter. Even the likes of David Cloud would not do such a disgraceful thing.

The RSV was burned a few times by pastors in the 1950's though.(The ESV is a lightly retouched RSV).