1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Topical vs. Expository Preaching

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jun 1, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In school I was taught that Expository is the way to go, but with exceptions of coarse one of which being evangelism. The advantage to expository is the Bible is being revealed accurately, where sometimes topical can be way out of context while verses being cherry picked. However I am aware of those that disagree with this style and I wish to hear their argument and why they defend topical preaching. I heard a sermon from someone yesterday whom 35 minutes into his message finally read a verse, but the rest of the message was about himself and his stories and illustrations but he did not explain the text very well at all. This type of message disgusted me, yet there was those whom defended it as being revive style preaching.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't the Sermon on the Mount a topical sermon? How did Jesus teach and preach?

I think there is a place for all of it: expository, topical, textual ....

My pastor is a quasi-expository preacher and I wish he would vary a little. Twenty years of listening to him exclusively read verse by verse and comment after every verse makes me want something different.

Jesus used tremendous amounts of "stories and illustrations". I don't know why people would oppose that in a sermon.

I like topical preaching. I like all styles. All can be used effectively and all have potential for failure.

It isn't the style. It's calling on the man to present the Word of God to the people and the man's preparation and obedience to that call.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One is as good as the other and both can equally and just as easily be abused. Preaching in context does not depend on the style of sermon. It depends wholly on exegesis. Expository preaching cannot prevent poor exegesis from happening. Expository preaching gets over hyped.

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you take a good look at the sermon's of Billy Graham, you will see they are topical, i.e. you are a sinner and need salvation. We have a few holidays in America, and so on that (or preceding) Sunday many preachers present a topical message. For example what the Bible teaches about godly women on Mother's day. And the responsibilities of a godly father on Father's day. One of my favorites is "Its Saturday, but Sunday is coming" for Easter.

#6 Van, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014